Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2022 3:00:08 PM EDT
I have about 20 long guns currently, mostly WWI and WWII era with a few modern rifles along with a few handguns. In terms of looking at sizes for safes is there a general guideline to use? I never take the manufacturers numbers seriously when then estimate what you can fit.

Just curious what’s a good baseline with room to grow. Prefer to keep this size/capacity related rather than brand related. Thanks.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The largest you can fit in the area you intend to put it and can get to that place in the house.

For modern guns a lot of people say to cut the number advertised in half.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Decide carefully then the important thing is that whichever size you decide, get something one or two sizes larger.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
As big as you can fit in your house. My general rule is take whatever the safe says for capacity and cut it in half. My 64 gun safe would never fit that many guns unless they were all bolt action 22s with no scopes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
ooooh, about this big should do it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I’ll let my wife know the basement will be turning into my gun room. She never goes down there anyways…
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ll let my wife know the basement will be turning into my gun room. She never goes down there anyways…
View Quote

You can just get a vault door then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it ever economically make sense to get two shmedium safes versus one huge one? I guess it would depend on the quality of the safes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I out grew a medium/large safe so I add another this winter. The old one has shotguns and the new one has pistols and rifles mostly.
Works out pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The largest you can fit in the area you intend to put it and can get to that place in the house.

View Quote

Less than half. Gun safe manufacturers use the dowel method to determine gun capacity: they count how many dowels they can stand up in the safe and then claim that many guns can fit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Like everyone has said, get the biggest one you can afford/fit in your house.  Mine is about 400sf. Don't know what I'll do if I have to move.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does it ever economically make sense to get two shmedium safes versus one huge one? I guess it would depend on the quality of the safes.
View Quote

I started with a small cheapo because I only had a couple long guns and pistol and a child on the way.
Once I started getting ARs, M1, Silencers I bought a much larger better one. Now it's almost full so I put the cheap guns in the original small safe.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
A crowded safe is a monumental PITA.

Go big.

How big you go only determines how long it will be until you can barely get the door closed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Less than half. Gun safe manufacturers use the dowel method to determine gun capacity: they count how many dowels they can stand up in the safe and then claim that many guns can fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting piece of information that I was unaware of thank you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A crowded safe is a monumental PITA.

Go big.

How big you go only determines how long it will be until you can barely get the door closed.
View Quote

This.

Otherwise you end up buying another. I'd say ask me how I know, but I'm sure you can guess....

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Moving would be the main reason.  Large safes can be a giant PITA to move and get into some homes.  Medium safes will fit in virtually any residential space to include older construction (may have to pop interior doors off hinges).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top