Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 8:14:12 PM EDT
In a separate thread I’ve been asking about shooting with a pistol ir laser and getting advise that it’s easier with a RMR or pistol ir laser with monocular over your dominant eye.   Currently I’m using a PVS14 on a Rhino II over my non dominant left eye.

How does every one else handle this with their setups?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In a separate thread I’ve been asking about shooting with a pistol ir laser and getting advise that it’s easier with a RMR or pistol ir laser with monocular over your dominant eye.   Currently I’m using a PVS14 on a Rhino II over my non dominant left eye.

How does every one else handle this with their setups?
View Quote
Are you trying to do precision shooting or general direction? Technically you're suppose to have it over your non dominant eye. Lasers were not meant for precision (Hollywood) shooting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I use both sides. Walking around, normal tasks or shooting a precision rifle (clip on or thermal) while under NODs it will go on the left eye. If I am shooting a pistol or AR with a red dot I will swap it to my right eye.

I use a Wilcox j-arm so its easy to swap sides.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you trying to do precision shooting or general direction? Technically you're suppose to have it over your non dominant eye. Lasers were not meant for precision (Hollywood) shooting.
View Quote
General direction and general shooting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use both sides. Walking around, normal tasks or shooting a precision rifle (clip on or thermal) while under NODs it will go on the left eye. If I am shooting a pistol or AR with a red dot I will swap it to my right eye.

I use a Wilcox j-arm so its easy to swap sides.
View Quote
I want to try one of those Wilcox J Arms. My USGI J arm is wore out. To the point where it doesn't even stay fully tight half the time. Jump over a log or something and it falls down one position on the j arm pivot point.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Over my dominant eye so I can look through my aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Dominant eye (right).

I can aim down the Eotech just fine for passive aiming. Movement is more natural for me.

If I had to worry about white light threats that didn’t give me time to flip the tube up I would use non-dominant.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Non dominate eye. Everything is lit up with a laser. It really makes shooting things in the dark easier.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I want to try one of those Wilcox J Arms. My USGI J arm is wore out. To the point where it doesn't even stay fully tight half the time. Jump over a log or something and it falls down one position on the j arm pivot point.
View Quote
Do it! It was what the j-arm should have been.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're shooting a RMR or RDS set to NV mode and the lights come on with your 14 over your dominant eye you'll still be able to see your dot through your PVS14. I run my 14 slightly forward so If my 14 turns off due to the lighting environment changes I can simply tilt my head up to see under my 14 and sight through the RDS window even if no dot is visible you can use the the tube like a big ass ghost ring to aim .
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:00:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have no issues shooting rds pistols with the monocular on the non dominant eye.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Always dominant unless doing something unusual.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I've always used mine over dominant whether shooting or just walking/scanning. It just makes sense to put the magic tube over the eye that your brain gives preference to. I have shot in the dark with my 14 on my dom eye and simply turned my head to utilize my left( non-dom) eye and with white light, handheld and WML, drew and fired my dept issued G22 without a huge increase in split times. I wouldn't try to clear a building this way, but for a brief surprise engagement it's doable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
left/dominate eye, shoot right hand with the laser or just look through the 740
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have to. That whole jumping down a notch on the pivot thing drives me fucking bonkers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have no issues shooting rds pistols with the monocular on the non dominant eye.
View Quote
Same here. Pretty much as quick as picking up the dot in the day time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I just finished walking around with it switched over to my dominant eye right side.  It was definitely more intuitive navigating around my backyard.  I couldn’t see any better but I noticed my pace was a bit quicker than with my left.  I’m still relatively new to nods so I tend to take it slow when out and about.  I’ll have to try it with my rifle LAM to see if points differently.   Thanks for the insights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top