Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2021 5:43:19 PM EDT
I took my 70 apart last night with only minimal cursing (the screw under the mag release took forever to unscrew, I thought it was stuck). While I have it broken down what should I replace on it? Is the barrel band necessary? I might try shooting it without to see. I bought this a few years ago and haven't fired it. There's cobwebs in the barrel, hence the dismantling.

Attachment Attached File

Very little if any rust, stock is in good shape. It doesn't seem to have a bolt hold open and I haven't found an external serial number, though there is a 5 digit number inside the receiver.
$135 out the door. I think I'll get a fixed 4x power for it.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on a compact bag for a 10/22 in a Backpacker stock!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I would change out the hard white nylon bolt buffer with one of the black hard rubber type available from Numrich/Gun Parts Corporation.
Gary
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Aside from the bolt buffer, I would just clean it really well, reassemble and shoot the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I will third the recommendation to replace the buffer. They do get brittle with age.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys! My cart at Numrich was starting to surpass what I paid for the rifle.

I'll get a buffer and probably a spring while I'm at it. Everything else seems solid. Numrich recently sold out of the 7 round mags but I see they sell their own 15 rounders.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys! My cart at Numrich was starting to surpass what I paid for the rifle.

I'll get a buffer and probably a spring while I'm at it. Everything else seems solid. Numrich recently sold out of the 7 round mags but I see they sell their own 15 rounders.
View Quote

Don't bother with those 15 round magazines, I have a couple and never could get either one to work 100%.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I know, promag makes some crappy stuff but there 25rd Marlin 795 mags work well if you are looking for hi caps.

Marlin 795 10rd and 7rd mags are the best but not being made right now and expensive and unobtainable.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know, promag makes some crappy stuff but there 25rd Marlin 795 mags work well if you are looking for hi caps.

Marlin 795 10rd and 7rd mags are the best but not being made right now and expensive and unobtainable.

View Quote
Yes they do. I have found that the ProMag Marlin Model 70 25 round mags and their Glock G44 18 round mags to actually work reliably well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The guys over on RC found this place recently. https://americanriflemagazines.com/

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't bother with those 15 round magazines, I have a couple and never could get either one to work 100%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you! They're out of the 7 round mags. Are you guys saying 795 mags work?

I've got a buffer, spring, and parts for the 1 mag I have in the cart, in case there's a problem with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
795 mags work in the 70 without issue. 70 mags work in the 795 but will not activate the bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top