Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2018 12:58:57 PM EDT
Several years ago, a Sino-Soviet SKS fell into my lap. It was just a barreled receiver and was rusted up, but the bore looked new, so I decided to fix it.

The parts ended up being reasonably easy to find and weren’t too expensive, mostly Norinco stuff. I blasted the barreled receiver and cold blued it, and put it into a cheap Chinese stock set that I picked up from Sarco. That took some fitting.

Needless to say, the rifle isn’t super pretty, I want to change that. It doesn’t have the metal for hot blue, and I’m unable to do that anyway.

I’m thinking about trying to source a Russian stock set(since its cut for a blade, rather than a spike), and painting the rifle black like the refurbs.

Another option is a stock refinish and cutting it for a blade, it’s a fairly unattractive color. Suggestions?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like nice enough wood. Maybee stain it A LITTLE darker.

I hate painted wood on guns.

Oh, and did I say I hate painted wood on guns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like nice enough wood. Maybee stain it A LITTLE darker.

I hate painted wood on guns.

Oh, and did I say I hate painted wood on guns.
View Quote
I just realized what I typed, I meant painting the rifle black, not the stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just realized what I typed, I meant painting the rifle black, not the stock.
View Quote
Ok thats better. I agree if the bluing is bad/worn then definitely rattle can or cerakote it. Hard to find true hot bluing anymore at least here in DFW. Maybe someone knows a source 'round here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok thats better. I agree if the bluing is bad/worn then definitely rattle can or cerakote it. Hard to find true hot bluing anymore at least here in DFW. Maybe someone knows a source 'round here.
View Quote
It’s really not even worth it will the pitting IMO.

I’ve considered using JB weld to fix the pits, and painting over it. Not sure how it would stand up to recoil though. If I paint it, I’ll use appliance epoxy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Me tell; you listen.

Cold blue too shameful; for proud rifle of Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov better finish deserving.  You rifle to Tim Shufflin for parkerizing  sending.

Then you contact Canadian comrades.  Many Soviet SKS rifles in Canada.  Poor rifles hurting; from outrage of Tapco suffering.

But sad situation means you stock finding.  Also cleaning stick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Found some sovietsky stocks on eBay for reasonable prices s check there
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Me tell; you listen.

Cold blue too shameful; for proud rifle of Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov better finish deserving.  You rifle to Tim Shufflin for parkerizing  sending.

Then you contact Canadian comrades.  Many Soviet SKS rifles in Canada.  Poor rifles hurting; from outrage of Tapco suffering.

But sad situation means you stock finding.  Also cleaning stick.
View Quote
Too pitted for a park job.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found some sovietsky stocks on eBay for reasonable prices s check there
View Quote
Not too bad, not many have handguards though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Tapco it all out
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tapco it all out
View Quote
Then add a Chinese scope call it a sniper rifle and sell it for more than it is worth
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tapco it all out
View Quote
It has a Tapco mag in it.

Mostly because I’m not sure where I put the factory one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top