Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2021 2:45:00 AM EDT
What's your preferred safety mechanism for your lever gun? All platforms are welcome, from .22 to RCC (revolver caliber carbines ) to .30-30 to .45-70 to Winchester 1895 and the like.

Follow up question-
When you carry your lever in the field (for hunting or animal defense) or use it as a home defense firearm, do you have one in the chamber?

My answers (extremely fwiw )-
-I have a half cock .22 Henry and a transfer bar .44 Henry. The half cock is awesome and I feel like a cowboy but I think the transfer bar is a more realistic setup for practical use.

-My HD rifle is an AR but I intend to use my .44 for hunting, traveling (possibly in Canada depending on Canada), and camping. I don't know what to do yet but have been practicing 'ready up's' with it from both an empty chamber and faking one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Empty chamber.  

Of course the only lever action l own is an early '80s 94 so it's empty chamber or half cock. One is safe the other is an accident waiting to happen.

Btw, l carry my bolt guns with an empty chamber too.  Long ago l decided l really WASN'T going into battle against deer and elk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My 1892 clone has no safety..
I carry it with the chamber empty.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
what is this safety you speak of..

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]
In before someone posts the gif from Blackhawk down of "this is my safety"

My vote is for crossbolt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A safety is merely a mechanical device that will fail at the least helpful time. When I carried a lever gun I tended to carry it loaded but either out of battery or with it at half-cock or with the cross bolt safety engaged. After I started hunting in Africa, I no longer carry the gun with the chamber loaded primarily because the is often someone in front of me and too many PH's there have been shot in the back by careless idiots so the culture there is pretty heavily leaning to the unloaded chamber side of the fence. Most farmers I know there don't even allow walking around with a loaded chamber on their farm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have young kids so while I kee stuff out of reach and on me, it’s usually cruiser ready.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My Favorite, but unique to Browning's ( I think), is their folding hammer. Picture pushing the spur forward so the hammer folds in half. Safety on. Ready to shoot, us your thumb to draw the spur toward you, ready to shoot. I wish every lever gun manufacturer would use this system.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Half cock, followed by tang since I'm left handed. Zero worries for me carrying on half-cock with a round in the chamber. Absolutely despise cross-bolt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's for hunting or self defense its got one in the chamber. I actually like the tang safety's the new Miroku made Winchesters have. No it's not original but it's easy to use or ignore of you wish and to me tang safeties have always been the easiest to use without any fuss.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My only lever gun with a safety is an 1885 GS. The safety was replaced with a saddle ring. All the rest predate the cross bolts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Win. Model 94 no safety or angle eject.

Round chambered and half cock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine are 70's top eject Winchester 94 and Henry Big Boys so no safeties other than the lever.  I carry mine (the Winchester) with a round chambered and hammer at half cock. Combined with the fact the lever has to be squeezed before the trigger can be, I consider it pretty safe.  Having to rack a cartridge into the chamber to shoot at game at lever gun distances is a good way to spook game before ever getting a shot.

I've not hunted with the Henry so I've never had need of walking around with it loaded.  IIRC the Henry has a transfer bar so if that's the case, and I were going to hunt with it, I'd carry it chambered and hammer down.

I won't buy a lever gun with a manual safety.  They aren't necessary and an abomination on a lever gun.  It's like Heritage putting them on their single action revolvers...wtf are they thinking??
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Half cock. Where I hunt it’s up close and personal, no way I could cycle a round into an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I just sent a new Winchester 92 short rifle in 45LC to Turnbull. I'm having them delete the tang safety and rebounding hammer to make it a regular half cock gun. While there I'm going to have some color case Hardening done .... nothing crazy.

I was okay with the tang safety but the rebounding hammer just drove me nuts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just sent a new Winchester 92 short rifle in 45LC to Turnbull. I'm having them delete the tang safety and rebounding hammer to make it a regular half cock gun. While there I'm going to have some color case Hardening done .... nothing crazy.

I was okay with the tang safety but the rebounding hammer just drove me nuts.
View Quote
If you don't mind my asking, what do they charge for something like that? I have a new 1894 and I'd like to have the tang safety deleted and changed from the rebounding hammer to regular half-cock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you don't mind my asking, what do they charge for something like that? I have a new 1894 and I'd like to have the tang safety deleted and changed from the rebounding hammer to regular half-cock.
View Quote

Its $900.00 for the work I'm having done.

I apologies, its $1200.00. I'm still thinking about doing hand checkering and that's another $900.0.0
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I apologies, its $1200.00. I'm still thinking about doing hand checkering and that's another $900.0.0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oof! Little too rich for my blood on a new gun. I'd pay that to have a pre-64 restored
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Lever gun, I don't need a safety, empty chamber
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oof! Little too rich for my blood on a new gun. I'd pay that to have a pre-64 restored
View Quote

It is what it is. I knew what I was going to do with this one the day I brought it home. My gun safe is full, I figured I'd spend some on the guns I have and buy a few more handguns..

Of course I can thank Uncle Joe for stimulating me and the people at Turnbull.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Half cock with a round chambered. I made all the safeties on my Marlins inoperative by tightening the detent set screw down all the way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#22]

When hunting carry with round in chamber , hammer at half cock.  For as I feel it is designed to be carried this way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Half cock.

Also a fan of cross bolt safety deletes
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Crossbolts are for the righthanded world.  Oh, and lawyers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Crossbolts are for the righthanded world.  Oh, and lawyers.
View Quote
Agreed, which is why, as a left hander, I always replace Marlin 336 crossbolts with a delete.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Half cock.  I don’t/won’t own any lever gun with those modern safeties.  Half-cock has worked just fine for over 150 years and hasn’t been a problem until the lawyers ever got involved in firearms design.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Half cock. Both of mine have transfer bars so they get carried hammer down with one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I replaced the crossbolt safety on my 1895 SBL with a smooth insert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top