Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 9:36:54 PM EDT
I see people here saying the Sico ASR mount sucks. Why?  What mount do you use?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If it’s not seated all the way and you attempt to lock it down, it will, in fact, not be locked and rocket down range

I’m in love with Keymo but she’s a thicc bitch. I’d like to try Plan B at some point
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing if you use the jelly between your ears while mounting the can.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Because it isn’t fool proof. You need to make sure the locking ring is open when you screw the suppressor on and then make sure you lock the ring. And never hot swap your suppressor on to another host. Take it off while it’s still warm

If you pay attention to the basics the ASR mount works well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing if you use the jelly between your ears while mounting the can.
View Quote
This. If you're even remotely attentive, there's no problem.

People bitch about it because it's not idiot proof, and there are a shitload of idiots in the NFA community.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe Capitol Armory posted on here previously that the only problems they have seen with the ASR were caused by user error.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A negative company proclaiming everything in the industry to be faulty or sub-par to their own components is probably the biggest problem with ASR. They knowingly misrepresented ASR as having Trifecta locking problems and the ignorant followers repeat the nonsense loudly, and often.

Use is simple: Unlock collar, spin can on firearm by gripping the can - not the lock collar, lock the collar. If you do that you will likely never have a problem with ASR.

ASR even has a "magical" taper in front of the threads, which keeps them and the locking mechanism clean!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ASR even has a "magical" taper in front of the threads, which keeps them and the locking mechanism clean!
View Quote
All lies!!! The taper was just invented and has never been used before recently when it was invented by a suppressor company! I know this because I read it on social media!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All lies!!! The taper was just invented and has never been used before recently when it was invented by a suppressor company! I know this because I read it on social media!
View Quote
I would never Question social media...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Shoot it, OP.

If there is anything about it that would present a problem, then you will find out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's a lot of good posts on here.  There's nothing WRONG with ASR.

The vast majority of issues with the ASR system is caused from user error.  Unfortunately, some people can't own up to making a mistake and instead make up some crazy story of what happened and how magic fairies flew down and cast evil spells on their mount.

The two big ones are not turning the lock ring (or turning it the wrong way to 'unlock' it), and somehow managing to cross thread the can on.  Neither are mistakes you can make while paying attention, both are pretty much just people not paying attention to what they're doing.

Think of it like this... is it the guns fault if someone mixes up 300 Blackout and 5.56?  Or .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor?
View Quote
Didnt know y'all were on the forum. Just picked up my first .22 can from you.

Thanks again for the posts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's a lot of good posts on here.  There's nothing WRONG with ASR.

The vast majority of issues with the ASR system is caused from user error.  Unfortunately, some people can't own up to making a mistake and instead make up some crazy story of what happened and how magic fairies flew down and cast evil spells on their mount.

The two big ones are not turning the lock ring (or turning it the wrong way to 'unlock' it), and somehow managing to cross thread the can on.  Neither are mistakes you can make while paying attention, both are pretty much just people not paying attention to what they're doing.

Think of it like this... is it the guns fault if someone mixes up 300 Blackout and 5.56?  Or .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor?
View Quote
Great info and examples in addition to being completely accurate. I got used to running pre checks and checks as methods for different activities. Installing, locking and verification of lock are not much to remember.  I don't mind the ASR mount at all and have no plans to change it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it’s not seated all the way and you attempt to lock it down, it will, in fact, not be locked and rocket down range

I’m in love with Keymo but she’s a thicc bitch. I’d like to try Plan B at some point
View Quote
Wrong. You are confusing the ASR with the Saker Trifecta mount. The Trifecta mount did have issues, and SiCo has been replacing Saker Trifecta mounts with the ASR for free.

I’m super pleased with my ASR stuff. Easy, repeatable, and accurate. Not sure what the hubbub is about either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I have 3 ASR mounts. No issues here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I started having problems with mine where the little toothed nub in the ASR module that presses down on the ribbed portion of the ASR muzzle device (after the locking ring is engaged) would lose tension and allow the can to start backing off after firing.

SiCo offered to replace the module for free, but advised the issue could most likely be fixed by slightly bending that “nub” piece in the ASR module.  That worked for a while but would lose tension again.

I already had Keymo on my Saker, so said fuck it and went that direction with the Hybrid as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I have multiple ASR mounts and cans and they all lock just fine. If you have the attention span of a third grader it should not be difficult to figure out when it's locked down properly. Hint - if the ring doesn't turn all the way from one stop to the other, it's not locked
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wrong. You are confusing the ASR with the Saker Trifecta mount. The Trifecta mount did have issues, and SiCo has been replacing Saker Trifecta mounts with the ASR for free.

I’m super pleased with my ASR stuff. Easy, repeatable, and accurate. Not sure what the hubbub is about either.
View Quote
There’s nothing incorrect about my statement. If it’s not seated properly, ASR based cans can go flying
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There’s nothing incorrect about my statement. If it’s not seated properly, ASR based cans can go flying
View Quote
Which is true for any suppressor by any manufacturer. User error can defeat the best designs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which is true for any suppressor by any manufacturer. User error can defeat the best designs.
View Quote
How do you “user error” a YHM Mount or a Griffin?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Failing to screw it on all the way, cross threading it... Name one product immune to being misused by a consumer. You can mitigate the stupid, but there will always be folks stupid enough to mess up anything.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess that’s true with any mount if used incorrectly. However the Trifecta was notorious for doing it, even if used correctly IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up my Omega last week and it is my first can. The included brake was properly torqued, rockset, and timed onto my host. My ASR mount was installed into the Omega according to the included instructions. When I went to put the Omega onto my host, I screwed it onto the brake until it stopped and was tight but not gorilla tight and the locking collar on the mount would not fully engage. I had to back the can off a little for the locking collar to fully lock. Is this normal? I know it may seem like a dumb question but this is my first can and I am inexperienced with suppressors in general.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because it isn’t fool proof. You need to make sure the locking ring is open when you screw the suppressor on and then make sure you lock the ring. And never hot swap your suppressor on to another host. Take it off while it’s still warm

If you pay attention to the basics the ASR mount works well.
View Quote
I went shooting the other day.  Was probably 20 degrees out.  Swapped a hot can to cold gun, and left it on.  Holy mother of god was that thing hard to get off.  Took some time with a blow torch, strap wrench and elbow grease with the upper in a vise.  But I got it off and I sure as hell wont do that again!

ETA: Having that said, I like my can and haven't had any issues with the ASR design.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would have thought the Sig mounts wouldn't be subject to user error but the current Sig mount thread has proved me wrong
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just picked up my Omega last week and it is my first can. The included brake was properly torqued, rockset, and timed onto my host. My ASR mount was installed into the Omega according to the included instructions. When I went to put the Omega onto my host, I screwed it onto the brake until it stopped and was tight but not gorilla tight and the locking collar on the mount would not fully engage. I had to back the can off a little for the locking collar to fully lock. Is this normal? I know it may seem like a dumb question but this is my first can and I am inexperienced with suppressors in general.
View Quote
I've had this happen.  As long as the can has no wobble or looseness this is fine. Otherwise you can try 'snapping' the can down the last 1/3-1/2 turn.  Always tighten by the body of the suppressor before locking and remove by the locking collar and you won't have the mount unthreading from the suppressor.

Sometimes mounts settle in and after that you won't have to back off a half tooth to lock the ring.  You can try lightly oiling the taper in front of the course threads on the muzzle device. It's a good idea to keep that and the mating surface inside the ASR mount inspected for carbon build up and lightly lube and wipe.  Excess lube will just burn. Some people use copper or nickel filled anti seize very sparingly as it's messy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would have thought the Sig mounts wouldn't be subject to user error but the current Sig mount thread has proved me wrong
View Quote
Even more infesting is no one is dumping on Q, after all KB pawned off that Sig stuff (sarcasm). Yet analogously SiCo made the deficient Trifecta mount and improved/fixed it with ASR and every time one in 20,000 ASR users launches a can, suddenly it's SilencerCo's fault because Trifecta.  So the problems with Sigs mounts are obviously Q's fault.  

This has been good for some Form 1 builders as cheap ASR mounts show up in the EE.  It's good that people afraid of user error have other choices to trade to.  Usually the problem with taper-only mounds is over-torquing them when new to the design.  A strap wrench is one of those tools that once you carry it, you usually never need it a second time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Q is the new trendy hotness, so nobody gives them any shit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The only problem I have ever had is my fault. I have a tendency to try and move it to another host while still hot and it getting stuck on that host. Completely my fault I need another can.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I started having problems with mine where the little toothed nub in the ASR module that presses down on the ribbed portion of the ASR muzzle device (after the locking ring is engaged) would lose tension and allow the can to start backing off...
View Quote
my issue as well
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Put some grease on the ears of the locking springs where they ride on the collar.  That makes a massive difference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I finally picked up an ASR mount today.  Had the same problem as everyone else getting it to fully lock.  What I did was put a few drops of CLP on the areas that moved.  With the ASR mount attached to my hybrid and not mounted I worked the lock back and forth while adding a drop of CLP every now and again.  Along with mounting on a rifle to see if it would fully lock.  When it'll fully lock on the mount work it back and forth mounted.  It will get easier the more it is worked.  Wearing a pair of gloves may help when working it while it's mounted.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I finally picked up an ASR mount today.  Had the same problem as everyone else getting it to fully lock.  What I did was put a few drops of CLP on the areas that moved.  With the ASR mount attached to my hybrid and not mounted I worked the lock back and forth while adding a drop of CLP every now and again.  Along with mounting on a rifle to see if it would fully lock.  When it'll fully lock on the mount work it back and forth mounted.  It will get easier the more it is worked.  Wearing a pair of gloves may help when working it while it's mounted.
View Quote
Must. Resist. Not. GD.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top