Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2019 6:58:39 PM EDT
Seen them now on Apex and AimSurplus and both have sold out quickly in a couple hours. Anyone know any background on them like where they came in from? How many were imported? Etc?

@Bryan_Aim
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

we will get more next week.  I don't know the story on them
View Quote
Thanks for the quick response!
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Are they compatible with newer parts? How does one go about getting a receiver and barrel?
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
man, i should could use the pre-ban tulip fh, hex check nut, and bayonet mount from that kit
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm here for this information too.

What was the price on the apex kits?  (Website says they were good condition and sold out/$25ea, the price is likely not right?)

Aim is used for $300

What did pjathens have?  I'm guessing it was new from styer and maybe $500? (guessing from comments in the thread)

What should I be buying?

What receivers pair up with these different kits?
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Judging from the picture, the bolt/BCG and internal parts like trigger pack, shell screws, trigger, and safety are included right?

Though I guess there wouldn't be anything usable in the trigger or trigger pack.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are they compatible with newer parts? How does one go about getting a receiver and barrel?
View Quote
Building from a kit isn’t going to be cost efficient. Barrels start at $400, the last time I ever saw receivers, I believe that they were $800-900. Otherwise PJs sells/sold those.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I can tell (correct me if I am wrong):

Parts semi owners could use:
Flash hider & nut, bayonet mount, gas plug parts, bolt, sling mounts, charging handle, forward grip & bolt parts.

Parts that wont fit (the expensive parts that initially caught your eye):
Stock, bolt carrier & trigger pack.

Possible a gas block (caliber conversion 300 if you have the $$$ or skill & tools) if it can be removed from the
cut barrel stub.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Flash hider & nut, bayonet mount, gas plug parts, bolt, sling mounts, charging handle, forward grip & bolt parts.

Possible a gas block (caliber conversion 300 if you have the $$$ or skill & tools) if it can be removed from the
cut barrel stub.
View Quote
That’s unfortunate. I was looking to convert my A3 M1 nato to use standard mags.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

cut barrel stub.
View Quote
This is correct.

Add the buttpad to the semi list, as well as anything you can strip off the stock like the transfer bar, trigger, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
My interest is in the gasblock. Lots of potential there. I'm thinking .357 sig with glock mags...
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Beater post-86 FA conversion device here I (07/02 FFL/SOT) come.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stock is visible and not marked as SA, so agreed, BCG is also visible and given the stock, agreed.

The trigger itself is visible, but not the hammer pack...I don't see anywhere that it claims to include the hammer pack?
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Did a bunch of posts in this thread disappear? Could have sworn there were some specifics as to which parts had different dimensions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm here for this information too.

What was the price on the apex kits?  (Website says they were good condition and sold out/$25ea, the price is likely not right?)

Aim is used for $300

What did pjathens have?  I'm guessing it was new from styer and maybe $500? (guessing from comments in the thread)

What should I be buying?

What receivers pair up with these different kits?
View Quote
You should buy a complete AUG M1 from Pete Athens and lose the idea of building a parts gun. It will be far more costly to build from parts. And as others have stated, the surplus kits from apex and AIM are from select fire rifles which means the stock and bolt carrier cannot be used on a semiauto rifle. The kits Pete had were from the special edition anniversary StG77 rifle and iirc were like $750 or so.

Just buy an M1 and be done.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You would at the very least have to notch the receiver for the larger full auto stock notch,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You would at the very least have to notch the receiver for the larger full auto stock notch,
Milling the receiver to fit the FA stock latch is creating a fullauto receiver.

plus I know that the full auto bolt carrier spring rods are larger in diameter, not 100% sure they will even fit through the holes on the semi receiver.  Plus the trigger pack is full auto capable if the kits that AIM has are the same source as the kits that Apex had.
The FA stock has larger diameter of the guide rods in the stock, shorter length to the rubber buffer at the rear of the rods (to accommodate for the anti bounce rods inside the carrier’s rods, allow full rearward bolt travel), while the ID of the rear of the carrier that accepts the stock’s guide rods (which compress the return springs during cycling) is larger on FA carriers. The actual carrier rod diameter is afaik the same between semi and auto carriers.

These are great kits if you are an SOT like I am looking to convert a semi gun into a full auto post sample.  
Agreed. That’s why I purchased. Cheap to use for post-sample conversion.

For anyone else you really aren't getting any parts that are useful for building up a semi gun, and are far better of (both in a practical and legal sense) just buying a new AUG.
Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
The mag prices are ridiculous for unknown quality surplus.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You should buy a complete AUG M1 from Pete Athens and lose the idea of building a parts gun. It will be far more costly to build from parts. And as others have stated, the surplus kits from apex and AIM are from select fire rifles which means the stock and bolt carrier cannot be used on a semiauto rifle. The kits Pete had were from the special edition anniversary StG77 rifle and iirc were like $750 or so.

Just buy an M1 and be done.
View Quote
I'm not looking to build from a parts kit, just more spare parts for a rainy day.

However, with my brother being an FFL and moving more into gun smithing, I have other ideas.  ;)
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my kit. It’s WELL used. But a very neat kit. Stock is date code is 1/12, which means either 81 or 91. Based on the internal parts wear, I would guess 81. The stock has no left side ejection port, has a 3-position selector, and shows a lot of external wear, including the most spent case marks I’ve ever seen on an AUG stock. The bolt group also shows a lot of external wear. Carrier does have a roller and has a ton of wear with non-existent phosphate along the right side where the angled side meets the tubular portion of the side. The bolt also shows a lot of wear. The hammer pack is the 3rb/FA with the selector lever on the bottom to choose between the two. Interestingly the hammer, disco, burst cam, and automatic sear show little wear. The barrel stub, gasblock, and vertical grip are very worn. The paint on the barrel stub and gasblock have almost no paint but intact phosphate. There is no rust that I’ve found so far, but I haven’t stripped the bolt group. I’m going to clean the bore on the barrel stub just to see it’s condition.

Overall I’m pleased for $300. I’ll be making a post sample conversion kit to use on my semi AUG.

AIM surplus, it would be awesome if you could give us the background on these kits.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got my kit. It’s WELL used. But a very neat kit. Stock is date code is 1/12, which means either 81 or 91. Based on the internal parts wear, I would guess 81. The stock has no left side ejection port, has a 3-position selector, and shows a lot of external wear, including the most spent case marks I’ve ever seen on an AUG stock. The bolt group also shows a lot of external wear. Carrier does have a roller and has a ton of wear with non-existent phosphate along the right side where the angled side meets the tubular portion of the side. The bolt also shows a lot of wear. The hammer pack is the 3rb/FA with the selector lever on the bottom to choose between the two. Interestingly the hammer, disco, burst cam, and automatic sear show little wear. The barrel stub, gasblock, and vertical grip are very worn. The paint on the barrel stub and gasblock have almost no paint but intact phosphate. There is no rust that I’ve found so far, but I haven’t stripped the bolt group. I’m going to clean the bore on the barrel stub just to see it’s condition.

Overall I’m pleased for $300. I’ll be making a post sample conversion kit to use on my semi AUG.

AIM surplus, it would be awesome if you could give us the background on these kits.
View Quote
I think they’re from Malaysia - there’s a stock in GB that shoes it’s made by SME. My stock shows the normal/expected Steyr markings
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The FA stock has larger diameter of the guide rods in the stock, shorter length to the rubber buffer at the rear of the rods (to accommodate for the anti bounce rods inside the carrier's rods, allow full rearward bolt travel), while the ID of the rear of the carrier that accepts the stock's guide rods (which compress the return springs during cycling) is larger on FA carriers. The actual carrier rod diameter is afaik the same between semi and auto carriers.
View Quote
Thanks for that info.

Can anyone please elaborate on what it takes to combine a FA bolt carrier with a SA stock?

I read a post somewhere that I recall a guy modified a semi-auto carrier by adding anti-bounce weights (normally used in a FA carrier) and I believe he had to shorten both the weights and the recoil springs in order to achieve the full range of travel against the (longer) rods in the SA stock.

So if this kit's FA carrier is used in a SA A3 stock, would its weights + springs need to be shortened identically, in order to fit?

Or would it just have to donate its weights to be used in a SA carrier (with relevant parts shortened), like the other guy did?

Asking because I have a SA non-roller-equipped carrier I'd prefer to replace with the one from the kit, and I also need to rig a carrier with anti-bounce weights for a registered MG conversion (and I don't want to utilize the kit's FA stock because I'd like to keep the A3 bolt release on the SA stock).

I don't suppose there's a simple way to shorten the SA stock rods so the stock can accept an unmodified FA carrier assembly?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

To be honest, I don't think it is worth the trouble to hand modify and "bubba' a bunch of stuff just to get a carrier with a roller on top, not to mention a bolt and carrier group that are really well used.

Just my take, but it seems like spending a dollar to save a dime.
View Quote
I can legally do it, but it seems that mods are the only way to get anti-bounce weights in an A3 (originally semi-auto) AUG anyway, since the only other way is to order/obtain a complete factory select-fire A3.

I've never seen any select-fire A3 stocks for sale, and people with pack conversions mod the semi carriers anyway (to gain anti-bounce weights). So why not mod the full auto carrier?

Did they really wear out a bolt carrier?
I mean finish, sure, but I wouldn't expect any material to be missing.

A new bolt carrier assembly is like $600 by itself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I guess I am not following...are you having some sort of function issue with your semi AUG?  Or are you just looking for a cheap spare bolt carrier?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I want to convert my SA A3 to FA, and I want anti-bounce weights installed in the bolt carrier (either the SA carrier I have, or a FA carrier from this kit). I also want to retain the A3 stock (to keep its bolt release).

One of my AUGs (the USR) arrived with a non-matching non-roller carrier and it would be the preferred candidate for the conversion. I have an A3 stock on that AUG (and on a 2nd AUG as well), so once I get my MG conversion package set up, I could just move it to either AUG (pack + carrier).

I have read a FA conversion without anti-bounce weights will typically malfunction (fail-to-fire) after about 7 consecutive rounds, due to carrier bounce.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]
There are A3 FA stocks, they're just really hard to come by, but not impossible.

The cleanest conversion will be to acquire an A3 FA stock and modify your receiver to fit the wider latch. With the FA stock, you won't have to notch out the SA hammerpack stops, which prevent a FA pack being dropped into a semi stock. Something else to consider is that your SA carrier will only fit your SA guide rods. I think it's been mentioned here earlier, but the guide rods on the FA stock are a larger diameter than the opening on the SA carrier.

Technically you could rivet new FA guide rods into your SA stock, but there's two problems you'll run into: 1. Austria will not send the guide rods to the USA (either FA or SA), and 2. you would need a special fixture to hold them in place while you rivet (flare) the ends into the stock. MAYBE, and that's a huge maybe, you could strip a surplus FA stock of its guide rods, remove the plastic around the rivet and try to get them in a SA stock, but that seems like a waste of time and resources - and it may not even work...

I've not seen or fired a FA conversion with a SA carrier, so I couldn't comment on that. I suspect if anyone has firsthand knowledge it's Pete Athens.

If I were you, I'd get the surplus kit for the parts needed and source a FA A3 stock. Steyr and/or Pete can help you with the A3 FA stock. I know that Steyr has 9mm FA stocks, but no idea on 5.56 though...

Quoted:
I want to convert my SA A3 to FA, and I want anti-bounce weights installed in the bolt carrier (either the SA carrier I have, or a FA carrier from this kit). I also want to retain the A3 stock (to keep its bolt release).

One of my AUGs (the USR) arrived with a non-matching non-roller carrier and it would be the preferred candidate for the conversion. I have an A3 stock on that AUG (and on a 2nd AUG as well), so once I get my MG conversion package set up, I could just move it to either AUG (pack + carrier).

I have read a FA conversion without anti-bounce weights will typically malfunction (fail-to-fire) after about 7 consecutive rounds, due to carrier bounce.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#30]
@maleante
Thanks.

So can a "big-hole" FA carrier work in a SA "small-rod" stock, or not?

Someone here once posted in a conversion thread that the FA carrier guide holes were the same size as SA starting with the A3 (and no longer larger as the earlier FA AUGs were). Is that true or false?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@maleante
Thanks.

So can a "big-hole" FA carrier work in a SA "small-rod" stock, or not? It should "fit", but who knows what kind of problems you might run into.

Someone here once posted in a conversion thread that the FA carrier guide holes were the same size as SA starting with the A3 (and no longer larger as the earlier FA AUGs were). Is that true or false? I've heard that before too, but I haven't seen any conversions using the new stock. I don't know.

I still think you'd be better off doing the conversion correctly and not trying to rig it to work. Something else to think about is that you'll need a FA A3 pack for your A3 FA stock. SA hammerpack sear conversions are wonky. Don't go that route if you don't need to.

What's the cost on an imported FA A3? You could probably sell the USR and forego the parts kit and that would get you fairly close to the cost of a new FA gun???
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are there measurements available online as far as the guide rods diameter?

Also, any pics of those anti bounce things I keep hearing about?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Also, any pics of those anti bounce things I keep hearing about?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Check this out:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/How-were-Steyr-AUG-FA-conversions-physically-done-/22-414987/

http://www.steyr-aug.com/nfa_weapons.htm
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There are A3 FA stocks, they're just really hard to come by, but not impossible.

The cleanest conversion will be to acquire an A3 FA stock and modify your receiver to fit the wider latch. With the FA stock, you won't have to notch out the SA hammerpack stops, which prevent a FA pack being dropped into a semi stock. Something else to consider is that your SA carrier will only fit your SA guide rods. I think it's been mentioned here earlier, but the guide rods on the FA stock are a larger diameter than the opening on the SA carrier.

Technically you could rivet new FA guide rods into your SA stock, but there's two problems you'll run into: 1. Austria will not send the guide rods to the USA (either FA or SA), and 2. you would need a special fixture to hold them in place while you rivet (flare) the ends into the stock. MAYBE, and that's a huge maybe, you could strip a surplus FA stock of its guide rods, remove the plastic around the rivet and try to get them in a SA stock, but that seems like a waste of time and resources - and it may not even work...

I've not seen or fired a FA conversion with a SA carrier, so I couldn't comment on that. I suspect if anyone has firsthand knowledge it's Pete Athens.

If I were you, I'd get the surplus kit for the parts needed and source a FA A3 stock. Steyr and/or Pete can help you with the A3 FA stock. I know that Steyr has 9mm FA stocks, but no idea on 5.56 though...
View Quote
Or better yet, mod the FA stock latch to fit the SA receiver and register the latch as the conversion device. This is what I plan to do.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or better yet, mod the FA stock latch to fit the SA receiver and register the latch as the conversion device. This is what I plan to do.
View Quote
What is the width of a SA stock latch?
The FA is 20mm
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#36]
To anyone who bought a kit, check your hammer pack. Mine had the burst pawl melted likely with a soldering iron, limiting it to semi only. If anyone has a functioning pack, drop me a line as I need one for post sample conversion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To anyone who bought a kit, check your hammer pack. Mine had the burst pawl melted likely with a soldering iron, limiting it to semi only. If anyone has a functioning pack, drop me a line as I need one for post sample conversion.
View Quote
Can you show us what to look for?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Steyr AUG Parts Kit

Our Price: $89.99

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/staugpknb.htm

Don't over pay for those parts kit!

BTW, I have no ties with that company what so ever

500 of those kits were imported a few weeks ago.

They were offered to me but I decided not to buy, each kit did come with mags but I see the buyers are selling the mags separate to maximize their profit margin. The way it goes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#40]
It's too bad the AIM kits don't have the scope tubes or trunnion/ lock section. Those tubes are worth more than the rest of the kit if they're Swarovski.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Apex dropped their price to match AIM's, but it comes with stuff like belt. Maybe one magazine?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Apex dropped their price to match AIM's, but it comes with stuff like belt. Maybe one magazine?
View Quote
Those lower priced kits at Apex are from Malaysian made AUGs. The stock is marked “SME made in Malaysia”
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Bear with me guys, I've only ever built AK's/AR's from kits and this would be my first foray into the bullpup world. However I've DESPERATELY wanted an AUG since I was a little kid.

I haven't read this entire thread yet but from what I gather it does NOT make fiscal sense to buy a parts kit and build from there?

I really love the new Steyr AUG A3 but I can't drop $2,200 on yet another 5.56. Is there a cheaper source out there? I saw someone in this thread mention Pete Athens? Is that somewhere I should be looking?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bear with me guys, I've only ever built AK's/AR's from kits and this would be my first foray into the bullpup world. However I've DESPERATELY wanted an AUG since I was a little kid.

I haven't read this entire thread yet but from what I gather it does NOT make fiscal sense to buy a parts kit and build from there?

I really love the new Steyr AUG A3 but I can't drop $2,200 on yet another 5.56. Is there a cheaper source out there? I saw someone in this thread mention Pete Athens? Is that somewhere I should be looking?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions
View Quote
Pete usually has good prices. Sometimes you can find a better price from one of the big dropshippers, but I've personally bought from Pete. Easy and painless. Just give him a call and see what he has to offer.

I think the AUGs now come with a class you can take in AL. I don't know how you redeem the free class offer, but if it's a coupon or something physical, you may be able to sell that to someone to help offset the cost. Others should be able to provide more insight into that.

If you like the AUG for nostalgic reasons I would recommend getting one with the scope, maybe even the retro model; but if you are wanting one because you want a bullpup, I would recommend getting one with a rail. It will give you more options optics wise. or buy one of each ;) .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top