Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2022 12:10:24 PM EDT
Primarily for semi auto fixed barrel PCC use.  Semi auto as I have Omega 9k's for the machinegun.

I don't care about being short, traditional pistol use, or .300blk use.  I want quiet subsonic 9mm performance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The last time I talked to the guys at silencer shop, they were touting the Rugged Obsidian as the quietest 9mm.  I haven't seen any scientific tests to support this (or any other) claim, but I can tell you, anecdotally, that the obsidian is pretty damn quiet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
For dedicated PCC use, the Dead Air Wolfman or one of the really giant subgun cans like the Curtis Tactical CT9KS or GSL Phoenix
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Cgs mod 9
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cgs mod 9
View Quote

I have one of these, good can.  I normally have a booster in it but I have a fixed barrel spacer available for it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For dedicated PCC use, the Dead Air Wolfman or one of the really giant subgun cans like the Curtis Tactical CT9KS or GSL Phoenix
View Quote

These seem like good options with lots of volume.

Anyone know how the Bushwhacker 46 sounds, or one of the long MG7 .358 cans?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
RS9, CTK9S, or Pheonix.

I like my MG7 in .358 but it’s not as quiet as my recored Sionic can.

By long MG7 do you mean the MG10?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 5.75" long, I wouldn't call the CT9KS "giant", although it still has more volume than the longer 7+" Wolfman in the long configuration (going by their specs, calculated volume).

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RS9, CTK9S, or Pheonix.

I like my MG7 in .358 but it's not as quiet as my recored Sionic can.

By long MG7 do you mean the MG10?
View Quote

Who re-cored your Sionics can?  

MG10 seems like it might be a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who re-cored your Sionics can?  

MG10 seems like it might be a good choice.
View Quote

Bower’s Group.

https://bowersgroup.com/product-category/services/

Buy the MG10 before @HansohnBrothers code doesn’t work anymore. (End of the month.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
For fixed barrel use only some of the very large volume subgun/PCC dedicated suppressors as mentioned above are going to be hard to beat for overall sound reduction and tone.  The co-axial designed Gemtech MK9K, GSL Phoneix, Curtis Tactical's modified version of the MK9K or the larger traditional PCC suppressors like the Wolfman.  I have heard all of them and the all perform really well.   I also have the large format PCC/Subgun VERS9s from Bowers and its not as quiet as the other suppressors listed here given its archaic baffle "design".

If you still want a suppressor that can reasonably (from a size/weight/LID availability perspective) do both PCC and pistol I still think the ACC Tirant-9 is one of the best multi-use 9mm suppressors I have heard.  The Rugged Obsidian is close but I still think the Tirant-9 sounds a bit better.

I have not had any experience with the CGS Mod-9 /Kraken so can't say how it performs in comparison compared to the Tirant or Obsidian.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
On my fullsize MP5 the quietest in order are my Wolfman, Obsidian 9 and finally my Mod 9.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Bowers makes the large volume VERS 9 and VERS 9S. I don’t know how they compare to other large volume cans like a Phoenix, Wolfman, or the giant AWC MK9, for example.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bowers makes the large volume VERS 9 and VERS 9S. I don’t know how they compare to other large volume cans like a Phoenix, Wolfman, or the giant AWC MK9, for example.
View Quote

I own and have shot the VERS9s on both my M11/9 and MP5.  The VERS9s performs OK but my assessment is its suppression performance is all due to internal volume.  The baffles are not much more than basic thick fender washers with a little scoop cut into them and the bore aperture will allow you to drop an entire 40SW/10MM auto cartridge (case and all) through the baffles and endcap with room to spare.

I don't regret purchasing it as it does well enough on my M11 which isn't a super quiet host in the first place and it also does have low backpressure to minimize ROF gain with the suppressor attached.    

However, it would be hard for me to recommend somebody else to purchase one if they are looking for the "quietest 9mm suppressor".   The VERS9s just really doesn't compare in the suppression department to more advanced designs.  

I have never shot the full size VERS9 and it may sound better than the VERS9s with its even larger volume but its also comically large and heavy for a 9mm suppressor at over a pound in weight and almost a foot long.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the feedback on the VERS9s.  I'll probably cut it from consideration.

I'm not opposed to having a really long can.  It will be one of many, so I can always drop a shorter can on if I want.

I currently have a CGS Mod9 SK(Zev), CGS Mod9(Zev), Octane 45k, and two Blackhawk Mini Boss's (Omega 9k's).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy the MG10 while it’s that price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Somewhat dependent on the host.

Some of the higher backpressure cans do great on hammer fired guns and delayed blowback or manual action hosts, while being a bit louder at ear on striker fired and simple blowback hosts than some cans which meter a bit higher at muzzle.   Our Phoenix IX is one of the former, excels on TDA guns like the Beretta 92 or S&W 3rd gens, and on lever actions, while being louder at ear than the overbored .45 cal Phoenix XLV on striker fired and some simple blowback hosts.

I believe the Resilient RSP or RS9, don't remember which one, is the current winner for at ear levels on Glocks, etc. and blowback carbines.   And as with the above paradigm, it meters louder at muzzle than much of the competition.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
i run a obsidian 45 on a full size mp5 via 3 lug and with 158 grain ammo its stupid quiet...  as quiet or more so than 300 BO out of a 8" with a specwar 762 for the can...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Primary hosts will be my AP5, AP5-P and Stribog A1.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Has nobody said MP5-SD yet?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
This YT video is what made me buy a Wolfman.  They shoot the  Wolfman side by side with a suppressed 22 pistol at the 1:10 mark.  
Dead Air Wolfman: First Shots Fired
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has nobody said MP5-SD yet?
View Quote

I'd screw it onto a pistol and try if I could get a thread adapter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Curtis tactical apparently offers 3 versions:
CT9KS 5.75?
CT9K 8?
CT9KL 10?

When I chatted with him a couple years ago, he said that he advised against the KL because it's diminishing returns. The K was his suggestion for suppression if sound reduction is your goal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:05:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On my fullsize MP5 the quietest in order are my Wolfman, Obsidian 9 and finally my Mod 9.
View Quote

I’ve got a Mod 9 in jail for a PCC AR….. I was hoping it would be top-tier in suppression. Currently using a .45 can, which is better than expected.  

Did I fall for the CGS hype?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CT9KS 5.75?
CT9K 8?
CT9KL 10?

When I chatted with him a couple years ago, he said that he advised against the KL because it's diminishing returns. The K was his suggestion for suppression if sound reduction is your goal.
View Quote

Not to derail things, but does he make those in .45 too?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’ve got a Mod 9 in jail for a PCC AR….. I was hoping it would be top-tier in suppression. Currently using a .45 can, which is better than expected.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an excellent can and will be slightly quieter than your 45 can.  I hardly use my Wolfman unless I want to show someone how quiet suppressed shooting can be.  Tend to use my R9's or Omega 9K on most of my PCC's.  I've dedicated my Mod 9 for handgun use due to how light it is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I went with the Rex Mg7-358 for my PCC's, I run it with a Griffin 3 lug and am happy. I went with the Rex Mg7-358 because I can change the mount on the suppressor and use it on a 9mm pistol or my 5.56 rifles and my my 300 blk rifle if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CT9KS 5.75  
CT9K 8
CT9KL 10

So shortly after he made the first CT9KS for me upon my request, 'Machine Gun Mike' had him make a suppressor for his .45 M3 Grease Gun in full auto.
You can see in the video below that he takes it apart and it just like my first CT9KS which didn't have the wrench flats on the baffles (I sent mine back to get him to machine them).
It looks longer then my CT9KS and is probably closer to the CT9K.
Integrally suppressed M3A1 Grease Gun Submachine Gun (Ep57)

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#29]
OP what ammo do you shoot?
If you don't reload (I don't) the quietest I've got is Ammo Inc 165 grain.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Primarily I have Winchester 147gr subsonic and some CCI 147gr subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#32]
CGS Mod9 is a bad choice for the Stribog A3. I just tried it and there is major port pop that rings my right ear. I swapped to my Octane 45k and it removes the port pop and sounds better. I was shooting 147 Winchester Super Suppressed.

I put the Mod9 on my AP5 and it sounds wonderful. It also sounds good on my AP5-P. My AP5-P has some issues feeding the 147gr, so I swapped to 124gr Belom and they sound pretty good. Better than the 147gr with the CGS Mod9 on my Stribog A3.

I should note, I'm shooting the AP5-P from a sling with it pushed out, so that pulls the sound away from my ears a foot or so.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Buy the MG10 before @HansohnBrothers code doesn’t work anymore. (End of the month.)
View Quote

What is this @HansohnBrothers code that you speak of??
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What is this @HansohnBrothers code that you speak of??
View Quote

Rex30 for 30% off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Rex30 for 30% off.
View Quote

Wow.

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Of the cans I own, the Wolfman sounds the best long config off of my AP5-P.  I've been shooting mostly 150 grain syntechs.  Damn do they sound good.

The R9 is slightly louder but not by a lot and compared to the Wolfman in short mode about the same to my uncalibrated ears.   I really like the R9 via 3 lug on the AP5-P.  My Octane is the worst of the bunch but that isn't where I primarily want it anyway.  The one I expected to be the absolute worst being in 45 bore was the MG7.  It actually sounds pretty good too and definitely nicer than the Octane 9.  It has a really pleasing tone to it.  I ultimately found I like it better on my CZ Scorpion.  I think being straight up blow back that slightly larger bore helps compared to the others.

That is what I own.

Jay just released his data on the resilient rs9 and claimed it performed better on the MP5 K vs the full sized gun.  He did mention directly threaded  as well.  So maybe at least for your AP5-P that's the way to go.  Believe me,  I'm trying to convince myself I don't need another 9mm can but having 6 PCC hosts and only 5 9mm cans at the moment tempting.  Him releasing that information isn't helping any

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m excited about my Fly 9, although I suspect I’ll have it in hand in 6 months if I’m lucky.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Of the cans I own, the Wolfman sounds the best long config off of my AP5-P.  I've been shooting mostly 150 grain syntechs.  Damn do they sound good.

The R9 is slightly louder but not by a lot and compared to the Wolfman in short mode about the same to my uncalibrated ears.   I really like the R9 via 3 lug on the AP5-P.  My Octane is the worst of the bunch but that isn't where I primarily want it anyway.  The one I expected to be the absolute worst being in 45 bore was the MG7.  It actually sounds pretty good too and definitely nicer than the Octane 9.  It has a really pleasing tone to it.  I ultimately found I like it better on my CZ Scorpion.  I think being straight up blow back that slightly larger bore helps compared to the others.

That is what I own.

Jay just released his data on the resilient rs9 and claimed it performed better on the MP5 K vs the full sized gun.  He did mention directly threaded  as well.  So maybe at least for your AP5-P that's the way to go.  Believe me,  I'm trying to convince myself I don't need another 9mm can but having 6 PCC hosts and only 5 9mm cans at the moment tempting.  Him releasing that information isn't helping any

https://i.imgur.com/hCmH4vtm.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/PJBvEw9m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LM2Kpgim.jpg   https://i.imgur.com/BLiyFfIm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cAj1neYm.jpg
View Quote
Nice collection!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m excited about my Fly 9, although I suspect I’ll have it in hand in 6 months if I’m lucky.
View Quote

When SilencerShop starts stocking that can in it’ll probably be my next purchase.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
 The one I expected to be the absolute worst being in 45 bore was the MG7.  It actually sounds pretty good too and definitely nicer than the Octane 9.  It has a really pleasing tone to it.  I ultimately found I like it better on my CZ Scorpion.  I think being straight up blow back that slightly larger bore helps compared to the others.

https://i.imgur.com/hCmH4vtm.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/PJBvEw9m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LM2Kpgim.jpg   https://i.imgur.com/BLiyFfIm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cAj1neYm.jpg
View Quote

Interesting.

I have a Rex Mg7 .358 that sounds good on my blowback 9mm pcc to an onlooker, but the port-pop rings my ears. I wonder if the .45 cal Rex would be better and I should just move the .358 to one of my 300BLKs.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The data disturbed me, greatly.  It was so strange, at first, that we went above and beyond our typical QA/QC.   I checked the data sets so many ways. I actually went back to sound speed and wave front time of arrival and weapon kinematics just to make sure if for some reason the data was labeled wrong, it is still right. For example - if you were to take the two datasets, and not know from which gun they were - you could back out which dataset is from which gun.

This is one of the many reasons why I publish the complete waveforms.

Since HK engineering kinematics have been cross-checked with PEW Science measured kinematics in the waveforms for the MP5 system in peer review, both our teams have high confidence in the GSL Phoenix data.  So, when it came to doing the RS9, and the cross-checks were all green..............  I just kinda sat there and got another cup of coffee.

When the dust settled - it's so simple, I can't believe I didn't think of doing it myself.  (in a way, we kind of already knew this could happen due to the way a Hyperion works, actually, and some other silencers, but that's a longer discussion).  The fact that Former "form 1" guys are making strides like this just shows you how far the state of practice has evolved.  I was speaking with some of them yesterday.  Before the ATF crackdown, the prototyping going on and the community helping each other was so incredible, and unencumbered by typical silencer industry politics / resources / red tape, etc (because it wasn't the silencer industry - it was the "solvent trap" world) - it became a mini "space race."  Now, to be clear, there are certain aspects of technology they are coming to use that has been developed before, but a lot of them don't even know it.  And, when some stuff looks "copied" - it's really not. Some of it is thought up independently and just happens to be similar to very old technology.  It's so interesting to watch.  It's really fascinating.

I think what people are seeing now is the evolution of that "space race."  Big companies have to stick with SKUs and backward compatibility and customer service with other models, and common parts, and yada yada - a big machine.  Administratively, a lot of inertia to overcome, blah blah.  The small guys just starting out are taking huge technical risks and leaps.

The Resilient stuff is only one example of this.  I, for one, am excited for the future!!!

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The data disturbed me, greatly.  
View Quote

Speaking of great disturbances, how much longer shall we overlook your crime of failing to evaluate the Wolfman?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Speaking of great disturbances, how much longer shall we overlook your crime of failing to evaluate the Wolfman?
View Quote

hahahaha if you're looking to assign guilt, sir, you've got the wrong man.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Interesting.

I have a Rex Mg7 .358 that sounds good on my blowback 9mm pcc to an onlooker, but the port-pop rings my ears. I wonder if the .45 cal Rex would be better and I should just move the .358 to one of my 300BLKs.

View Quote

The .45 can that I mentioned working much better than expected on my PCC is a Rex .458 MG7k.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The last time I talked to the guys at silencer shop, they were touting the Rugged Obsidian as the quietest 9mm.  I haven't seen any scientific tests to support this (or any other) claim, but I can tell you, anecdotally, that the obsidian is pretty damn quiet.
View Quote

Lol? Not even close
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lol? Not even close
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol? Not even close

The obsidian is one of the quietest in its size category, but yeah definitely not the quietest overall once you start comparing it to bigger cans with a lot more volume.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Anecdotal evidence, but I reload and with my 9mm handloads runny berrys 147 and VVN340, all of my suppressors sound nearly identical.  Obsidian 9, CGS Mod 9, GSL Phoenix, Rex Mod X 458 bore (all modulars shot in long configuration).  

I havent been able to test my Wolfman outside yet - still in jail at indoor range.  

I digress… I think ammo type/selection can narrow the gaps between suppressors sound performance even more.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The obsidian is one of the quietest in its size category, but yeah definitely not the quietest overall once you start comparing it to bigger cans with a lot more volume.
View Quote

It's not volume dependent.  It's technology dependent.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I own and have shot the VERS9s on both my M11/9 and MP5.  The VERS9s performs OK but my assessment is its suppression performance is all due to internal volume.  The baffles are not much more than basic thick fender washers with a little scoop cut into them and the bore aperture will allow you to drop an entire 40SW/10MM auto cartridge (case and all) through the baffles and endcap with room to spare.

I don't regret purchasing it as it does well enough on my M11 which isn't a super quiet host in the first place and it also does have low backpressure to minimize ROF gain with the suppressor attached.    

However, it would be hard for me to recommend somebody else to purchase one if they are looking for the "quietest 9mm suppressor".   The VERS9s just really doesn't compare in the suppression department to more advanced designs.  

I have never shot the full size VERS9 and it may sound better than the VERS9s with its even larger volume but its also comically large and heavy for a 9mm suppressor at over a pound in weight and almost a foot long.
View Quote

I have a full-size VERS9. It is pretty quiet with subsonic, but it is a monster can. 10.5" long and 1.75" diameter. You could probably use it like a 3 or 4 D-cell Maglite to tonk someone's brain-housing-group without denting it.

I used to run it on a 5.5" bbl Colt-pattern SBR inside a rifle-length forearm, and have the adapter to use it on my .300BLK upper, and a 3-lug to use it on my SP5 SBR, my AP5-P and a FMProducts Glock AR9 SBR until I get my 2 other 9mm 3-lug cans out of ATF jail. The 3-lug isn't a typical spring-loaded quick-fit. I may need to rebuild that 5.5" bbl upper again so I can use it on the FMP9 SBR. I hate reloading the CMMG Colt-pattern with the bolt forward and a full mag.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wolfman is hard to beat for any subgun or PCC IMHO.  If money was tight I wouldn't be upset being stuck with my YHM R9.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top