Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2022 12:53:08 PM EDT
Thinking about building a few more cans.  

Legit don't have any design ideas but figure i might as well submit the F1s and have them waiting for the future.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your question?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand there really is no legal F1 can anymore....according to the ATF
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure the magic word right now across the board for f1 silencers is "denied".

But i could be wrong?

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
In the submission post a picture of some raw barstock next to your lathe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought I read on here some guys were getting them approved if you stated no materials were purchased yet or something.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:From what I understand there really is no legal F1 can anymore....according to the ATF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:From what I understand there really is no legal F1 can anymore....according to the ATF

Quoted:Pretty sure the magic word right now across the board for f1 silencers is "denied".

Form 1's, for silencers, are still being approved.
The ATF only said a "solvent trap part" , that has been spot faced, has no other purpose than as a silencer part. Plenty of suppliers are selling w/o spot facing the cups.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought I read on here some guys were getting them approved if you stated no materials were purchased yet or something.
View Quote
That's what I vaguely remember is that they said something like "No materials will be purchased till F1 is approved."  No specific design information being provided as well other than length.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, The eform system now displays an error, unless you "Submit an attachment"  Of photos, Supply house, etc

They are now asking where you are purchasing your "Kit" and they want photos of your "kit".

I Sure hope everyone is smart enough not to fall down that rabbit hole.

Keep your wording Simple:  " I do not have any materials, I will not buy any materials without an approved form 1 stamp.  I intend to follow all NFA Laws, and will not order any raw materials, or design anything without an approved tax stamp.

They seem to be aggressively searching for "Kit" Providers, and DummysRus to send photos, of the kit they ordered.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#9]
So I should upload a PDF of my "plans as follows"

Step 1: Fill out Form 1

Step 2: Submit Form 1

Step 3: Mail in fingerprints

Step 4: Wait for approval

Step 5: Buy materials

Step 6: Make Suppressor by making baffles and putting them in a tube

Step 7: Go to range

Step 8: Shoot suppressor

Step 9: Take selfie because this trip was awesome

Step 10: Drive home

Step 11: Secure suppressor in safe

Step 12: Go back to Step 1 and repeat

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I just had a form 1 Can approved, 32 days.  on the 30th.  Submitted Oct 28.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My last form 1 can was around May of last year, but I just submitted a new app for another today. They now require a description of the process and a picture of the material/parts you're going to use.

I bought a 3ft length of Ti tube and laid that next to some 17-4 and Ti bar stock and took a picture of that. I wrote a short description of the turning and milling ops I planned to do.

I guess I'll find out if my tubing and solid stock are already suppressor parts because I thought about making one out of them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My last form 1 can was around May of last year, but I just submitted a new app for another today. They now require a description of the process and a picture of the material/parts you're going to use.

I bought a 3ft length of Ti tube and laid that next to some 17-4 and Ti bar stock and took a picture of that. I wrote a short description of the turning and milling ops I planned to do.

I guess I'll find out if my tubing and solid stock are already suppressor parts because I thought about making one out of them.
View Quote

There's zero reason to do any of what you described.
It's already been pointed out that simply saying things like "No material will be purchased until From1 is approved" or "All laws to be followed during the making of this NFA device" are acceptable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just had a form 1 Can approved, 32 days.  on the 30th.  Submitted Oct 28.
View Quote
@Jae30001

What did you use for your "description"?

I was thinking about submitting one with the "No materials will be purchased till Form 1 is approved.  Materials will be turned into parts with on hand tooling after Form 1 approval."  It's truthful.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In the submission post a picture of some raw barstock next to your lathe.
View Quote
This worked for me! I got one back about  2 months ago.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]
My latest was approved at 76 Days. "I will machine non silencer parts into a silencer with an approved form 1". On my rough sketch I put "Upon approval of the Form 1, I will purchase material from a local or online vendor and machine the parts using a lathe and/or hand tools. Final design not yet designed, but the below is a rough estimation of design.
Drew a crude design of the can.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Submitted a form 1 tonight. Stated no materials were being purchased before the stamp was approved. So we will see
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I just submitted my F1 for a .22LR can.  

I included a pic of raw barstock and a piece of sched 40 aluminum pipe and a crude drawing of my plans.

In Description, I stated 'ALUMINUM BARSTOCK TO BE TURNED ON LATHE ONLY UPON F1 APPROVAL'

IN Reason, I stated 'COST EFFECTIVE HEARING PROTECTION AND ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES'.

*My eForm 4 is now at Day 149 since certifying and I don't think I'll see it before May/June at the rate things are moving.....hoping the eF1 moves as fast as my last one--only 15 days from submitting, 9 days from them receiving my prints.  I'm hoping to see this one before Christmas but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, Filled out eForm 1 on 24Nov22.  Send in fingerprints same day.  Prints received 28Nov22.  eForm1 approved 08Dec22.

Added a pic of my mini lathe, drillpress, dremel tool and a big box of RC model tools.  Also a MSPaint diagram of the planned suppressor.

Para 4h:  Aluminum, 9in long.  Actual raw material will be procured after form1 is approved.
Para 4i:   For all legal purposes.

Approved by: Carol Ripley

TYCOM
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine that was just approved, about 40 days from the app, trust 1 rp.

I included one pic of some raw material, and a statement of raw material that I have and may need to purchase. Now I have emailed the atf before when all the stuff went down at the beginning of the year with more pics a much longer statement. Same agent so he may have already had it, but I did not go over the top this time like I did last time. Last time was several pics, and paragraph long statement.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Jae30001

What did you use for your "description"?

I was thinking about submitting one with the "No materials will be purchased till Form 1 is approved.  Materials will be turned into parts with on hand tooling after Form 1 approval."  It's truthful.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Whatever you do stay away from that copy paste stuff floating around reddit
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, I don't know. Do a bunch of incels making arbitrary and inconsistent determinations in an office building make a legitimate three letter agency? If so, then maybe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not understanding the logic that most of you are asserting.

You'll write the longest description of either all your machine equip or the fact you won't build until approval, to also include a design drawing, but, for purpose, will simply state "all lawful purposes ".

Why not put a similar description for their ridiculous ask?

"All laws to be followed, prior to and during the making of said NFA device".

Stop giving them precedence and legal ammo for any future restrictions.
Just imagine, for the new set of requirements, the ATF states:
"Since implementation of the most recent requirements, filers have been very forthcoming with additionally required information. We see no reasons why these newly proposed requirements not be met."
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#23]
"I will design and 3D print this upon approval"

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just submitted my F1 for a .22LR can.  

I included a pic of raw barstock and a piece of sched 40 aluminum pipe and a crude drawing of my plans.

In Description, I stated 'ALUMINUM BARSTOCK TO BE TURNED ON LATHE ONLY UPON F1 APPROVAL'

IN Reason, I stated 'COST EFFECTIVE HEARING PROTECTION AND ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES'.....

View Quote

This worked!  I applied 12/6, mailed my prints 12/7.  Prints arrived 12/12 and I got my approval email at 6:06 this morning.

11 days from submittal, only 5 days from receiving my prints.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This worked!  I applied 12/6, mailed my prints 12/7.  Prints arrived 12/12 and I got my approval email at 6:06 this morning.

11 days from submittal, only 5 days from receiving my prints.
View Quote
Did you put in a model name or did you leave that blank?
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you put in a model name or did you leave that blank?
View Quote

I left that blank
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:11 days from submittal
View Quote

That's awesome
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]
how crude of a design are ya'll drawing?  We talking napkin drawing, MS Paint, or CAD image?  I'm probably going to include a rough sketch showing a tube, spacer, and baffle placement, and write "not to scale - baffle design not finalized".  Just wonder how this would go over if I decide to skip doing the baffle and spacer arrangement and did a monocore instead.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
how crude of a design are ya'll drawing?  We talking napkin drawing, MS Paint, or CAD image?  I'm probably going to include a rough sketch showing a tube, spacer, and baffle placement, and write "not to scale - baffle design not finalized".  Just wonder how this would go over if I decide to skip doing the baffle and spacer arrangement and did a monocore instead.  
View Quote

Pretty crude!  This is what I attached to my application.  It's only slightly better than a napkin doodle and would have gotten me a failing grade in shop class.  I didn't even bother to break out the ruler to make straight lines.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top