Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2018 1:11:38 PM EDT
I don't particularly deal with any of the 91/30 variants, so I'm not sure of the value for this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Appears to be an original scope, but I would question if the rifle is an original PU rifle. It dose appear to have the two letter prefix on the year and a three digit serial number which is common on Tula PU rifles. However, there is no scope number on the side of the chamber, No Tula CN marks and the scope cut out in the stock looks too fresh. It is a Post war stock on a war time rifle so it might have been replaced during arsenal refurbished but even then I would expect to see some lacquer over the edges from the refurbishment.

With out closer inspection verify it is an actual PU I would say $600-750 as it is a pretty well done repo. If you can verify it is an original they have been running $1000-1500.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say at best its a resniper. I'd never bothered to take the mount off until today. Has the usual spot welds which I associate with ex-sniper rifles. Doesn't have a scope number though.

At worst, its a conversion done.

Regardless, its a numbers matching Tula, with all Tula parts. Shoots well too.

The stock is probably toast now. Took a good tumble and cracked up the wrist in three places. Probably fixable, but very annoying none the less. I've fixed worse anyways.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't always trust the scope number on the side of the barrel. I have seen where there are verified original condition rifles with out the scope number barrel mark.
Don't get me wrong as a collector it is one of the first things I look for on a PU because it is one of the most common indicators.

If you ever get it back to the range try the iron sights.
Standard 91/30s were mostly sighted with bayonets attached, they will generally impact substantially right and high with out the bayonet. PUs were sighted with out the bayonet and the windage will normally be pretty close. There should also be a zeroing mark on the rear of the front sight post you can use to verify if the sight was drifted.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the information. Its always good to learn more. I'll check the sight tonight.

I typically stick to Finn M91's & imperial M91's. This was an anniversary gift for my wife as she loves her mosin thumpers. But unfortunately due to a ongoing illness she's not able to shoot anymore or at least for the foreseeable future. She just want to keep her rifles around because of it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a re-sniper that someone put an original base/mount/scope on.

Notice that the mount does not have the rifle's serial number on it.

The stock cut for the base is wrong too, so it's not an original PU stock.
Since the barrel does not have the CN or CH stamp, it may just be an ex-PU receiver that was rebarrelled.

I'm betting the bolt is not an original to the rifle, either newly made and restamped, original and restamped, or someone converted the original bolt.

What is the tang marking on the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Tula star 43
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tula star 43
View Quote
At best, it's a re-sniper.

At worst, it's a standard 91/30 with an ex-sniper receiver that someone re-snipered.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it have tool marks on the bottom on the barrel ? That checkerboard mark on the top of the barrel looks like a wrench mark
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
There are not any tool marks on the bottom of the barrel. The front sight is off to the right a bit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I just saw the Century arms import mark and the welded up holes that got drilled back out, I suspect Century arms attached that scope.
Also the import mark just calls it an M91/30, not a PU or sniper or anything else.

Doesn't mean its a bad rifle though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top