Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2021 6:38:09 PM EDT
I've got a Wolfman, Nomad-L and Mask coming. They will be going on 9mm, 5.56 and .22 guns. I'm not too keen on $80 each for alignment rods, is there a good alternative?

And would a .22 rod work well enough on my 5.56?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I use these.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Read this first: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/4fcsf5/if_youre_buying_a_suppressor_buy_an_appropriate/
And then buy them here: https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-rods/tight-tolerance-multipurpose-oil-hardening-o1-tool-steel-rods/
Mcmaster gets you on shipping but it would be worth it if you're buying for multiple calibers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheap is to pull the bolts and look down the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
yea, i went with the McMaster-Carr rods. got a whole set for around $45, i think i did pay a bit for shipping though. it wasn't cheap to ship. the rods are heavy. i bought 22cal to 45acp
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yea, i went with the McMaster-Carr rods. got a whole set for around $45, i think i did pay a bit for shipping though. it wasn't cheap to ship. the rods are heavy. i bought 22cal to 45acp
View Quote

Okay, sounds good, but I assume a lot of work went I to making sure the Surefire branded Geissele rod is perfect in tollerance.  Why else would it be called the Super precision rod?  ?????

Can you count on a basic rod from MacMaster having the same straightness and tollerance?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since those don't seem specifically designed for gun calibers, did you just use the Price is Right approach and get the closet size without going over? Like the .302" for 30 cal?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since those don't seem specifically designed for gun calibers, did you just use the Price is Right approach and get the closet size without going over? Like the .302" for 30 cal?
View Quote

Read the reddit thread linked above. .302" will hit the rifling on a .30 caliber bore and wont help you any.

I heard one person mention using arrow shafts for their alignment rods, but I havent tried myself. Seems like that might be a lighter weight option with less risk of scratching the rifling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you join the form1suppressor forum, there's a guy there with the handle techjunkie who sells nice alignment rods for a good price.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes, i went by the chart i found on Reddit, but it's been posted here before. i know i got 22lr, .223, .308, 9mm, 45acp. figured i would get them all in advance to be safe.  it's not too tight in the bore, there is very little play, but you can get an idea of how close it will be.  

mcmaster-carr has a tolerance specs on their website. even arrows are going to have a certain tolerance. i have a bunch of arrows for my bows and i think they're within .003 for straightness. problem is my arrow shafts are all 1 size.

if you want to pay for marketing, and maybe a bit tighter tolerance, more power to you. honestly, i've shot a lot of my rifles w/o worrying about baffle strikes on my cans. oddly enough, i've had more baffle strikes on pistol cans than i have on my rifle cans (2 baffle strikes on pistol cans 45Osprey and Rugged Obsidian9, 0 on rifle cans but i probably just jinx'd myself)
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer. I couldn't tell you how many Form1's I've made, but I can assure you that I've never once used an alignment rod.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Search for “drill rods” and the specific diameter. Select a diameter just a few thousandths under the caliber’s land diameter.

McMaster sells them for <$10.

I find them useful for inserting into the bore and using to indicate off the bore in the lathe. They’re also for suppressor alignment check.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I find the 79 dollars for the surefire rod far cheaper than the 400 dollar rebuild of the surefire can, the cut and crown of a sub moa 6.8 barrel plus shipping
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you join the form1suppressor forum, there's a guy there with the handle techjunkie who sells nice alignment rods for a good price.

View Quote

This is the best answer. No gambling on whether or not your rods will arrive straight. Color coded ends. Great product.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I have never used rods.  I just look from one end or the other, preferably breech end when possible.  It ain't hard to see if they're off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been happy with the carbon fiber rods from Capitol Armory.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Purchased whatever McMaster had for .308 (don't recall exact diameter) and the first one arrived bent. Not hard to see compared to a straight line (I used the solid folding tonneau cover on my truck bed). Sent them a pic and they sent me another no charge.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here. The only time I would consider an alignment rod is if I can't look down the barrel from the chamber side.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been using wooden dowels - easy to turn down to any size.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Okay, sounds good, but I assume a lot of work went I to making sure the Surefire branded Geissele rod is perfect in tollerance.  Why else would it be called the Super precision rod?  ?????

Can you count on a basic rod from MacMaster having the same straightness and tollerance?
View Quote

In a nutshell, marketing and yeah, pretty much.  
Drill rod is well within acceptable tolerance for checking silencer alignment. Chop a piece to about 10”, round the ends and if it slides down a clean bore easily, it’s straight. You have to remember that most can companies are making their bores well over size expecting tolerance stacking so all you’re really doing is making sure you have a reasonable amount of clearance. It’s not like you’re making, changing or adjusting anything, you’re just seeing if the rod hits the can.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:The only time I would consider an alignment rod is if I can't look down the barrel from the chamber side.
View Quote

I'll put a flashlight with the bore inspection adapter (90deg fiber optic piece) into the breech and look down the muzzle. Align your eyes so the barrel is "straight". You'll immediately notice if the silencer end cap is wonky.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#21]
McMaster Carr hardened drill rod, I got the .2969 for my 300 BO and it is tight enough to lightly engage the rifling enough to twist.

Drill rods

Source for bore diameters.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Read this first: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/4fcsf5/if_youre_buying_a_suppressor_buy_an_appropriate/
And then buy them here: https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-rods/tight-tolerance-multipurpose-oil-hardening-o1-tool-steel-rods/
Mcmaster gets you on shipping but it would be worth it if you're buying for multiple calibers.
View Quote

Quoted:
McMaster Carr hardened drill rod, I got the .2969 for my 300 BO and it is tight enough to lightly engage the rifling enough to twist.

Drill rods

Source for bore diameters.
View Quote

I also use drill rods from McMaster.

I will add that I had to lightly file the ends as they had some burrs from where they were cut. I just added a chamfer to the ends. They work perfectly.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is the correct answer. I couldn't tell you how many Form1's I've made, but I can assure you that I've never once used an alignment rod.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I bought McMaster-Carr rods before I made my first can, but truthfully they're a waste of time and I no longer use them. Well, not for alignment checks anyway - they've mostly been cut up and otherwise used in lathe projects or for practice since

But if you must and you're worried about straightness, just find a flat surface and gently roll them back and forth. You'll see any warp or bend.

That said, don't bother. Pull the bolt and use your peepers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
So far the Mk1 eye-ball has done me well as a multipurpose calibration and alignment tool.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yup, I bought McMaster-Carr rods before I made my first can, but truthfully they're a waste of time and I no longer use them. Well, not for alignment checks anyway - they've mostly been cut up and otherwise used in lathe projects or for practice since

But if you must and you're worried about straightness, just find a flat surface and gently roll them back and forth. You'll see any warp or bend.

That said, don't bother. Pull the bolt and use your peepers.
View Quote

This. ^

I’ve got all the McMaster rods, but it’s a waste of time and money.  Eyeball it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I just look down both ends of the barrel with a flashlight once I pull the gun apart. If you have good eyes I think this works  well on not super tight bores.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t fret over such things
Eyeball it and blast
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top