Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2019 4:02:57 PM EDT
Looking for a 32 channel NVR to put together a system for my church.  Needs to be POE.  Looking at the reolink style POE 5mp cameras as a minimum. But I didnt see a 32 channel NVR by Reolink.   One I found in Amazon isn't a POE, but is 32 channel, with an 8TB hard drive.  Can you daisy chain POE switches to run to it?  I'm thinking 1 switch in one end of the building that cameras feed to, then another switch at the other end and run the feed to the NVR, instead of running 32 camera feeds through the entire way?

This is the NVR I was looking at. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQLF721/?coliid=IDC8EKKD0QI08&colid=YE6WMQP06V3L&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would make it 16 channel. If one switch takes a dump you still have 16 feeds. Eggs all in one basket with a 32.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would make it 16 channel. If one switch takes a dump you still have 16 feeds. Eggs all in one basket with a 32.
View Quote
Good point.  Can you stack two 16's?  With the one I linked, it doesn't have the POE built in, so it looks like you connect the POE switch to a single ethernet port in the NVR.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have my Dahua nvr connected to a 16 port POE switch, that's cheaper to replace than the NVR.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
You're probably not going to find a 32-channel with POE.

You can either stack 16's (you'll have to set up port forwarding for each) or you can use a 32 (or larger) with 1 or more switches.

Multiple switches in a big building makes sense for not home running everything.

Once the switches are on the network & the cameras are connected you'll probably have to manually set the IP for each camera through the NVR.

Hikvision makes a 32-channel (they also make a 64 & a 128).
They also make them for half a dozen other "white box" companies - same product but all the Hikvision logos are removed (on the cameras & NVR, & in the software).

Cameras are also starting to come out in 4K now so you might want to look at those.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You're probably not going to find a 32-channel with POE.

You can either stack 16's (you'll have to set up port forwarding for each) or you can use a 32 (or larger) with 1 or more switches.

Multiple switches in a big building makes sense for not home running everything.

Once the switches are on the network & the cameras are connected you'll probably have to manually set the IP for each camera through the NVR.

Hikvision makes a 32-channel (they also make a 64 & a 128).
They also make them for half a dozen other "white box" companies - same product but all the Hikvision logos are removed (on the cameras & NVR, & in the software).

Cameras are also starting to come out in 4K now so you might want to look at those.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  The minimum I was looking at were some 4k 5 megapixel cameras.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  The minimum I was looking at were some 4k 5 megapixel cameras.
View Quote
Make sure you get an NVR that can handle 4k...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Make sure you get an NVR that can handle 4k...
View Quote
Will do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top