Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 6:26:10 PM EDT
I built an AR70 years ago, and like it well enough (I guess).  So I was real interested when I heard some AR70/90 kits were brought over, and I snagged one for another easy build of an uncommon gun.

I thought the 70/90 'upgrade' (the guns are commonly lumped together on weapons sites) was an optic rail/carry handle and new furniture.
Kind of like the CETME L vs LV

I was wrong; they modified damn near everything, and the gun is almost identical to a SIG550 pattern (as opposed to "basically a SIG550 pattern" like the AR70 was) just perhaps not machined quite as nicely.   Barrel is attached like an AR or Uzi's, now uses STANAG mags and they added a 3 round burst that's even more complicated than the AR70s obnoxious FCG.  Receiver is trapezoidal like a SIG and has machined/extruded bolt rails rather than sheet metal.  Given the dearth of information/pictures of the differences, I don't think I'm alone in my prior ignorance.

So, knowing now that the platform is completely different...what do ya'll think of it?  Did it serve adequately?  Hold up well?  Was the ARX100 a step up or a step down?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The AR 70/90 appear to have held up well.  In the end the lower price point, weight, and modern features of the ARX160 appear to have one out.  All of the Beretta rifles are excellent.

My only question is who and when will we see receivers and barrels made for these?  I picked up a kit myself and can't wait to add this rifle to my collection right next to the BM59, AR 70, and ARX100.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know if the 70/90 lower will go on an Ar70 upper?  So you could have an Ar70 that takes m16 mags?  Properly converted to semi auto obviously.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By clc3251:
Does anyone know if the 70/90 lower will go on an Ar70 upper?  So you could have an Ar70 that takes m16 mags?  Properly converted to semi auto obviously.
View Quote

Zero. Compatibility.

It's like asking if an AK can take an AR lower (apparently)
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By coctailer:
The 70/90 kits are easy to get.... The barrels and receivers though......not available. :-(

This is a tag
View Quote

Barrels are easier than most to make (basically a big Uzi barrel)
I'm gonna /try/ making receiver rails on my mill, but no guarantees
The sheet metal isn't /that/ bad if you're just interested in function, but making it look good will be the real trick

Only a few hundred were imported; no one's gonna make anything for less than boutique prices
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to sound like a jerk but have you actually tried or are you speculating?  The lowers look very similar in internals and attachment. Also, the handguards and front sight/gassblocks also look interchangeable.    Can someone that buys one of these kits give me the lower pin spacing?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to sound like a jerk but have you actually tried or are you speculating?  The lowers look very similar in internals and attachment. Also, the handguards and front sight/gassblocks also look interchangeable.    Can someone that buys one of these kits give me the lower pin spacing?
View Quote
Its been confirmed on weaponsguild that you cannot swap lowers or pretty much 98% of the parts. They look close but everything is slightly different. The flash hiders can be swapped but are different profiles same with the gas blocks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By katzma:
Its been confirmed on weaponsguild that you cannot swap lowers or pretty much 98% of the parts. They look close but everything is slightly different. The flash hiders can be swapped but are different profiles same with the gas blocks.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Koldsteel solutions has receiver blanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Koldsteel solutions has receiver blanks.
View Quote

Two problems with that.

1. Those are for the AR70, which has different dimensions
2. Cold Steel is not known for making a quality product, and builders I've talked to will refuse to work with anything supplied by them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, knowing now that the platform is completely different...what do ya'll think of it?  Did it serve adequately?  Hold up well?  Was the ARX100 a step up or a step down?
View Quote

The 70/90 served our armed forces extremely well.
I’m not a Beretta fan but their products are solid and reliable.
The 70/90 looks and feels like a brick but it works. The 70 was a little bit lighter.
As for the ARX.. it is a huge step forward as far as modularity for our armed forces but I’m not sure It was worth it.. the budget is always tight for our armed forces (most of the BDUs comes from Romania..) and I feel like they could have just upgraded the 70/90 with modern materials & features instead of buying a completely new rifle.. same for the old PM12 being replaced by the new PMX.
Obviously such a choice wasn’t optimal from the beretta point of view.. selling news stuff offer more profit margin than keeping old stuff in service..
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Frens:

The 70/90 served our armed forces extremely well.
I’m not a Beretta fan but their products are solid and reliable.
The 70/90 looks and feels like a brick but it works. The 70 was a little bit lighter.
As for the ARX.. it is a huge step forward as far as modularity for our armed forces but I’m not sure It was worth it.. the budget is always tight for our armed forces (most of the BDUs comes from Romania..) and I feel like they could have just upgraded the 70/90 with modern materials & features instead of buying a completely new rifle.. same for the old PM12 being replaced by the new PMX.
Obviously such a choice wasn’t optimal from the beretta point of view.. selling news stuff offer more profit margin than keeping old stuff in service..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Frens:
Originally Posted By barnbwt:
So, knowing now that the platform is completely different...what do ya'll think of it?  Did it serve adequately?  Hold up well?  Was the ARX100 a step up or a step down?

The 70/90 served our armed forces extremely well.
I’m not a Beretta fan but their products are solid and reliable.
The 70/90 looks and feels like a brick but it works. The 70 was a little bit lighter.
As for the ARX.. it is a huge step forward as far as modularity for our armed forces but I’m not sure It was worth it.. the budget is always tight for our armed forces (most of the BDUs comes from Romania..) and I feel like they could have just upgraded the 70/90 with modern materials & features instead of buying a completely new rifle.. same for the old PM12 being replaced by the new PMX.
Obviously such a choice wasn’t optimal from the beretta point of view.. selling news stuff offer more profit margin than keeping old stuff in service..

That's my impression of the AR70/90 after looking at it, actually.
-Weld/bolt on a top rail, even old-school Weaver. Top of the gun's flat, guys
-Forgo burst because it's retarded, or design something to fit because there is enough room in there.
-Bolt on a folding stock
-Bolt on a folding winter trigger shoe if it's really that important
-Make mags aluminum or plastic

I'm guessing there was a political/legal reason they were forced into essentially cloning the then-existing SIG550 rifle, because there is zero reason every worthy upgrade couldn't be applied to the AR70 from what I can tell.  And it's not like the M14 & Garand where the armory just wanted to waste a bunch of time & money on a science project.  And it's not like Beretta/Italy hadn't made good, pragmatic decisions in the past (Garand & BM59) regarding arms development.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Zero. Compatibility.

It's like asking if an AK can take an AR lower (apparently)
View Quote

That's an interesting comparison, as the AK neither has an upper or lower - it's just one receiver. Sure there's a topcover, but it doesn't do anything other than what its name suggests.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm guessing there was a political/legal reason they were forced into essentially cloning the then-existing SIG550 rifle, because there is zero reason every worthy upgrade couldn't be applied to the AR70 from what I can tell.  And it's not like the M14 & Garand where the armory just wanted to waste a bunch of time & money on a science project.  And it's not like Beretta/Italy hadn't made good, pragmatic decisions in the past (Garand & BM59) regarding arms development.
View Quote

I don’t know.
All I know is that Beretta asked Colt to produce the M16 under license without success.
I guess Beretta was put under pressure by the Govt and finally found an agreement with Sig
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]

That's my impression of the AR70/90 after looking at it, actually. 
-Weld/bolt on a top rail, even old-school Weaver. Top of the gun's flat, guys 
-Forgo burst because it's retarded, or design something to fit because there is enough room in there.
-Bolt on a folding stock
-Bolt on a folding winter trigger shoe if it's really that important
-Make mags aluminum or plastic

I'm guessing there was a political/legal reason they were forced into essentially cloning the then-existing SIG550 rifle, because there is zero reason every worthy upgrade couldn't be applied to the AR70 from what I can tell.  And it's not like the M14 & Garand where the armory just wanted to waste a bunch of time & money on a science project.  And it's not like Beretta/Italy hadn't made good, pragmatic decisions in the past (Garand & BM59) regarding arms development.
View Quote

The AR-70 (not the AR-70/90) had some problems in military service from what I understand. That’s why the design changes with the 70/90. I’ve read they had problems with a lack of power to close the bolt in some circumstances. From my experience building one, I can see that a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top