Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2020 4:25:15 PM EDT
Going to be building a 8” 300blk upper for my SBR soon.  Been out of the suppressor news for while.  These are the priorities in order of importance:

1).  Sound Suppression
2).  Weight
3).  Has to be able to handle supersonic ammo.  Higher powered cartridge ratings don’t matter.
4).  Length
5).  QD (don’t really care about this one either way)

Don’t care how much it costs or what company makes it.  I own three cans I regret buying and don’t want to buy a fourth.  What’s the best can for the application?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nomad L?

ETA: maybe the big Q can? Titanium and lots of baffles...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Also interested in this thread

Wolfman is on my gotta have list

NomadL is what Im thinking for a more dedicated rifle can on 300 blkout but Im waiting to hear what others have to say

I need something a bit more specific for this bad boy

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
EA Vox K.

If you're looking at Weight and Length, both on your list... that's the can.

Vox S I guess depending on how important 1 is to vs the others... lol

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
There will be a tradeoff for sound suppression in weight/length. The best sounding .300BLK cans are typically large OD and long for volume. Going with titanium will help with weight.

I run a Sig SRD762Ti for a subsonic only setup and love it. But I'd look at Q offerings, Dead Air Nomad/L, CGS Hyperion, Rex Silentium etc.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Outrider:
There will be a tradeoff for sound suppression in weight/length. The best sounding .300BLK cans are typically large OD and long for volume. Going with titanium will help with weight.

I run a Sig SRD762Ti for a subsonic only setup and love it. But I'd look at Q offerings, Dead Air Nomad/L, CGS Hyperion, Rex Silentium etc.

https://i.imgur.com/vK929MT.png
View Quote

I shot the Sig you mention recently.  That’s what put me over the edge on building a 300blk.  I was going to order one, but wanted some other opinions first.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going to be building a 8” 300blk upper for my SBR soon.  Been out of the suppressor news for while.  These are the priorities in order of importance:

1).  Sound Suppression
2).  Weight
3).  Has to be able to handle supersonic ammo.  Higher powered cartridge ratings don’t matter.
4).  Length
5).  QD (don’t really care about this one either way)

Don’t care how much it costs or what company makes it.  I own three cans I regret buying and don’t want to buy a fourth.  What’s the best can for the application?
View Quote

On a barrel as short as 8" I would go Nomad-L all day err day.  Get a hand guard that lets you tuck the can inside.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ThisWildAdventure:

On a barrel as short as 8" I would go Nomad-L all day err day.  Get a hand guard that lets you tuck the can inside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThisWildAdventure:
Originally Posted By lucky_13:
Going to be building a 8” 300blk upper for my SBR soon.  Been out of the suppressor news for while.  These are the priorities in order of importance:

1).  Sound Suppression 
2).  Weight
3).  Has to be able to handle supersonic ammo.  Higher powered cartridge ratings don’t matter.
4).  Length
5).  QD (don’t really care about this one either way)

Don’t care how much it costs or what company makes it.  I own three cans I regret buying and don’t want to buy a fourth.  What’s the best can for the application?

On a barrel as short as 8" I would go Nomad-L all day err day.  Get a hand guard that lets you tuck the can inside.

For you or anyone else who recommends the Nomad-L:  Any reason not to go for the Sig?  It seems to be the best for my top two priorities.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]

For you or anyone else who recommends the Nomad-L:  Any reason not to go for the Sig?  It seems to be the best for my top two priorities.
View Quote

If I were buying again today I'd probably go with the Nomad L. Sig changes designs like the wind which scares me from a support standpoint. They are already on a newer generation of cans to my knowledge that is of a different design. Kevin Brittingham left a number of years ago and has Q which is doing pretty much the same thing. If you wanted to stay with the Sig design, then Q would be the better choice IMO.

But why would I go Nomad?

-Dead Air is a great company I trust to support me
-Stainless more durable construction
-Mount flexibility

I'll let @mageever come in here and sell you on it from a science/design standpoint.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
OST
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

Quiet and light.  Fits perfect under PRI and other handguards.

Holds up well to limited FA shooting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Omega .300
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Look into Q's offerings, they have long and short options, very light and tough cans. I don't have a 300blk but I have 5.56s and 6.5s that I use it on and it sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
OP no idea on what your budget is but a bunch of us have gambled on the Rex cans. If they’re as good as I’m hoping they could be great for a 300. Big diameter, decent weight, guaranteed for accidents.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]

For you or anyone else who recommends the Nomad-L:  Any reason not to go for the Sig?  It seems to be the best for my top two priorities.
View Quote

Sig is poor at stocking and distributing accessories. They change designs frequently.  Suppressors are really an afterthought for them and a minor part of their business.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Omega .300
View Quote
+87, the Omega 300 is really quiet on 300 blk and really light. Its quieter and much lighter than my srd762qd.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ComicalGrub503:
+87, the Omega 300 is really quiet on 300 blk and really light. Its quieter and much lighter than my srd762qd.
View Quote

It’s awesome on my single shot 300aac!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Of my four 30 cal cans, the Nomad is the one that gets to live on the 300 Blk shorties.  It sounds great and is short/light which complements an SBR/pistol package nicely.  I don't like putting long cans on short guns, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

You’ll be really limited on handguard options to tuck either the Nomad-L or the Sig cans.
View Quote

The Seekins MCSR, probably the most common tuckable hand guard on the market, is 1.8".  The Nomad-L is 1.735".  Yeah that's pretty tight, even assuming everything lines up perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I’d say go with a Sandman L over a Nomad if you’re going with a Dead Air can. The Sandman is more suited to semi-auto guns that are likely to see higher rates of fire than the Nomad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRlTb7zmKg

The bald guy in this video is the founder of Dead Air so I would trust his advice but ymmv.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AzAgLover:
I’d say go with a Sandman L over a Nomad if you’re going with a Dead Air can. The Sandman is more suited to semi-auto guns that are likely to see higher rates of fire than the Nomad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRlTb7zmKg

The bald guy in this video is the founder of Dead Air so I would trust his advice but ymmv.   
View Quote

The Nomad is a better can than the Sandman for 99% of people. People go with the Sandman because it’s “durable” but the reality is very few actually need this. The Nomad is quieter, lighter, and with lots of mount flexibility - can direct thread or use the Griffin Plan A, Q Plan B, Area 419, etc. mounts which are all arguably better than Keymo. The Sandman is tough as nails but you’re stuck with Keymo. It’s loud, comparatively, and heavy. Buy a Sandman if you plan on doing full auto mag dumps, otherwise buy a Nomad. The Nomad is tougher than what other companies label as their hard use cans and can easily withstand any firing schedule on semi auto.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a Nomad specifically for 300blk super/sub (and other shorter 30cals like 7.62x39, etc)...and while I was waiting for the stamp to come back, they introduced and started selling the Nomad-L.

I would have bought a Nomad-L had they been available.

Not that the Nomad is bad; it's fantastic sounding IMO...but that little tiny bit more was what I was after in the first place. I've got a Sandman-L and while it's also quiet as shit on 300, it's heavy...I wanted light and max suppression. Which the Nomad-L does better than the Nomad.

So I'll kind of have to make do with what I've got now. That's pretty much the last time I hop on the latest/greatest from anyone, though.

If you want short and really quiet, Nomad is awesome. If you don't care about short and want super duper quiet, Nomad-L. I'm in the latter camp, but honestly I don't think I'm underserved by what I got. I just wish I had waited another 7 or 8 months

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
I bought a Nomad specifically for 300blk super/sub (and other shorter 30cals like 7.62x39, etc)...and while I was waiting for the stamp to come back, they introduced and started selling the Nomad-L. 

I would have bought a Nomad-L had they been available.

Not that the Nomad is bad; it's fantastic sounding IMO...but that little tiny bit more was what I was after in the first place. I've got a Sandman-L and while it's also quiet as shit on 300, it's heavy...I wanted light and max suppression. Which the Nomad-L does better than the Nomad.

So I'll kind of have to make do with what I've got now. That's pretty much the last time I hop on the latest/greatest from anyone, though.

If you want short and really quiet, Nomad is awesome. If you don't care about short and want super duper quiet, Nomad-L. I'm in the latter camp, but honestly I don't think I'm underserved by what I got. I just wish I had waited another 7 or 8 months 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22779/IMG_0439-small-1163832.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22779/IMG_0441-small-1163829.jpg
View Quote

and then add another 7-12 months on top of that for the NFA wait right?
You did good IMO as thats a sweet ass setup right there, have you considered adding the E-brake?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BigJimmyRustler:

and then add another 7-12 months on top of that for the NFA wait right?
You did good IMO as thats a sweet ass setup right there, have you considered adding the E-brake?
View Quote

Whats the E-brake all about?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You did good IMO as thats a sweet ass setup right there, have you considered adding the E-brake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I was already about 1/2-2/3rds of the way through the 9 month wait for the Nomad when the L was announced

I have an E-Brake on it, but haven't had a chance to get to the range with it on yet, hopefully soon!

Quoted:

Whats the E-brake all about?

There's still a lot of gas that comes out of the end of the can; the e-brake acts like the anchor brake on the end of the Omega 30 cal can from Silencerco. The one for the Nomad is made of aluminum iirc; they recently introduced one for the Sandman series that's steel, I think. The two cans have two different ODs so while you can technically interchange them (they use the same threads)...they won't really look right unless they're on the can they're designed for.

Basically it acts like a muzzle brake; helps keep the muzzle planted after each shot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I think the Ebrake also reduces backpressure since it increases volume between the last baffle and the end cap and also vents more gas through the holes similar to the low backpressure end caps on the CGS Helios - but I am probably over simplifying and have no CFD models to prove this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By IndyJoeShmo:
I think the Ebrake also reduces backpressure since it increases volume between the last baffle and the end cap and also vents more gas through the holes similar to the low backpressure end caps on the CGS Helios - but I am probably over simplifying and have no CFD models to prove this.
View Quote

@mageever is this true? If so how much reduction in back pressure have you measured?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I like my 10.5" Noveske barrel. She's a tack driver.

Throw on that SPECWAR 762 and all you hear is the bolt operating.

Maybe you'll hear the bullet hit whatever your backstop is too...

Makes me giggle when I shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By OhioRangeTime:

@mageever is this true? If so how much reduction in back pressure have you measured?
View Quote

Who/how do they measure back pressure? You’re asking for subjective opinions. It’s also very host, ammo, and silencer specific. Unless I’m missing something?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

Who/how do they measure back pressure? You’re asking for subjective opinions. It’s also very host, ammo, and silencer specific. Unless I’m missing something?
View Quote

A sidetrack but one of the cooler things I've seen is LaRue's test rig showing backpressure. If I had unlimited money and time I'd love to organize the biggest sound metering and back pressure silencer test.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

A sidetrack but one of the cooler things I've seen is LaRue's test rig showing backpressure. If I had unlimited money and time I'd love to organize the biggest sound metering and back pressure silencer test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9C0AcDua94
View Quote

I have seen that, and it’s cool. But my point still stands... what is the standard?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Who/how do they measure back pressure? You’re asking for subjective opinions. It’s also very host, ammo, and silencer specific. Unless I’m missing something?
View Quote

I'm fine with subjective opinions in this case. From what I understand cyclic rate determined by full auto RPM is a good way to measure backpressure in the AR platform.

But really I just want to know if it reduces back pressure at all. I'll probably buy one either way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#33]

I have seen that, and it’s cool. But my point still stands... what is the standard?
View Quote

Standards in the silencer industry...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

View Quote

I probably had to have a paid subscription to see that measurement.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Just bought the Sig Titanium can.   This one and the 300SPS are the quietest 300 blackout silencers I've ever heard.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#37]
If i was wanting the quietest available i would look into the Q Full Nelson/Thunder Chicken,  Nomad L or SICO Saker762.  But would choose the Q offerings as they are the lightest.

Now if i wanted a shorter can i would look at the SICO Omega Q Half Nelson/Trash Panda or Nomad.  It would be a mix up between the Omega and Trash Panda.  

I hate the fact the Omega costs so much because the mount that comes with it kinda sucks.  I want another Omega but dont want the mount.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got a Q Full Nelson, but if I was buying today I'd probably get the Nomad L since I've also got a Sandman K.

The big Q and Sig cans are stupid quite with subsonic 300 blackout. I'd imagine the L is as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I recently bought a Nomad-L and have shot it, it’s quiet and not too heavy or extremely long.  The ability to change out mounts is also a big plus to me and it would be difficult to buy a can now without this feature.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#40]
In for interest
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Seems like the 1.75" Titanium large volume cans like that Sig SRD762TI or Q Thunder Chicken will give you the best sound reduction while not being too heavy. However, something I've come to realize is that you get to a point where the gas-pop from the cycling of the action will be louder than the report at the end of the suppressor. The data is on the Silencer Shop review videos. At the ear, a suppressed 300blk is around 130-135db, but the cans bring the report at the muzzle down to 122ish for the SIG, and 126ish for the Q.

I have an Omega 300 that I've been using on a BCM 9" 300blk upper. It's only 1.56" in diameter and weighs around 14oz. On the Silencer Shop review video it brings the report down to about 129ish dbs. Sure that's a bit louder than the Sig and Q, but it's also not a huge bulbous can on the end of your gun. I kind of like the end cap options, too. I don't like the QD system on the Omega, I think it looks like shit. It works well enough, though.

Anyway, here's a vid of the Omega on my rifle out in the woods. I think it works pretty good. I'm sticking with the Omega for now, but thinking about that Sig just for the sheer stupid quietness of it, even if it's a huge torpedo sticking off the end of your gun

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#42]
For subjective opinions on the ebrake upgrade here is mine.  I totally think it was worth it for my Sandman K.

It helped smooth out my 10.5 with a very generous gas port.  I could immediately feel the difference in felt recoil and my ejection pattern changed a bit too.  Someone on here not long ago posted a few video clips of their setup with and without the brake and it demonstrated this.  I can't remember who it was so hopefully they come across this posting.

As far as any further decibel reduction its minute if any.  The Sandman K is an extremely loud suppressor to begin with and unless you add adjustable gas or do any other tweaks to help mitigate port pop from a semi auto I doubt you would hear any difference.

In conjunction with the bootleg adjustable carrier, Amphibian's recommendation of an A5 tube, 9mm Kynshot hydraulic buffer and tub flat spring along with the ebrake equipped Sandman K up front I took a very violently cycling 10.5 5.56 rig and turned it into a smooth pussy cat shooter.  Ejection is spot on at 3 o clock and I can now definitely hear a slight difference in the overall tone but I think it has more to do with the slower moving bolt allowing more of the gas to escape up front before being allowed out the back. The ebrake definitely helps in that regard.  YMMV.

Since the original topic was .300blk hotness the only other can I can compare my Sandman K to is my recently jailed YHM R2.  Especially on my bolt gun there is a considerable difference between the two in .300blk with subs.  I know everyone is suggesting Nomad, Q and Sig etc... and they sound great but don't discount the Resonator.  For the money it's an excellent value can to consider for a .300blk setup that happens to handle just about everything else quite well actually.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I didnt realize this until now, but the Resonator is only a half inch longer than the Nomad if you ditch the YHM mount and use Plan A or direct thread and is pretty close in weight.  You also get the inconel blast baffle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#44]
True.  The Nomad's OD is fatter so you get more internal volume vs the Resonator.  I had always planned on going Keymo since everything was setup for my Sandman K already so weight wasn't a driving factor in my case.  Waiting for the R2 version was worth it to me but with any of these cans utilizing the 1.375x24 thread on the back end offering so many options for mounting its almost as bad as choosing which can to go with.

OP you really couldn't go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread.  They all should sound fantastic with .300blk subs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
OP never mentioned what 3 cans he regretted buying, and those comparisons might be useful in making a recommendation.  

My quietest .30 cal can on the Blackout is a 7.62 Specwar.  The Omega 300 comes really close and drops a lot of length and weight.  However, most of the time my 8” Blackout  is wearing an Omega 9k for size convenience.  With supers it tames the blast and the entire upper is shorter than an 11.5” 5.56 with a SiCo flash hider.

Another good option could be a Vox-S.  Run a wipe for range toy with subsonics, and it’s light enough and short enough to be handy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Just bought the Sig Titanium can.   This one and the 300SPS are the quietest 300 blackout silencers I've ever heard. 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49913722146_23977707aa_c.jpg
View Quote

@JohnnyUtah427 looks like TarHeels place.  if yes, howdy neighbor
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

@JohnnyUtah427 looks like TarHeels place.  if yes, howdy neighbor 
View Quote

Yep that’s it!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By jakjakman:
Seems like the 1.75" Titanium large volume cans like that Sig SRD762TI or Q Thunder Chicken will give you the best sound reduction while not being too heavy. However, something I've come to realize is that you get to a point where the gas-pop from the cycling of the action will be louder than the report at the end of the suppressor. The data is on the Silencer Shop review videos. At the ear, a suppressed 300blk is around 130-135db, but the cans bring the report at the muzzle down to 122ish for the SIG, and 126ish for the Q.

I have an Omega 300 that I've been using on a BCM 9" 300blk upper. It's only 1.56" in diameter and weighs around 14oz. On the Silencer Shop review video it brings the report down to about 129ish dbs. Sure that's a bit louder than the Sig and Q, but it's also not a huge bulbous can on the end of your gun. I kind of like the end cap options, too. I don't like the QD system on the Omega, I think it looks like shit. It works well enough, though.

Anyway, here's a vid of the Omega on my rifle out in the woods. I think it works pretty good. I'm sticking with the Omega for now, but thinking about that Sig just for the sheer stupid quietness of it, even if it's a huge torpedo sticking off the end of your gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgJB3II-7g
View Quote

This is a great point on the capability of the platform itself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Yep that’s it!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

@JohnnyUtah427 looks like TarHeels place.  if yes, howdy neighbor 

Yep that’s it!  

Great folks.  Thinking I'll buy my next one through them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By cashewnut:

The Nomad is a better can than the Sandman for 99% of people. People go with the Sandman because it’s “durable” but the reality is very few actually need this. The Nomad is quieter, lighter, and with lots of mount flexibility - can direct thread or use the Griffin Plan A, Q Plan B, Area 419, etc. mounts which are all arguably better than Keymo. The Sandman is tough as nails but you’re stuck with Keymo. It’s loud, comparatively, and heavy. Buy a Sandman if you plan on doing full auto mag dumps, otherwise buy a Nomad. The Nomad is tougher than what other companies label as their hard use cans and can easily withstand any firing schedule on semi auto.
View Quote

You say "stuck with KeyMo" as if it's a bad thing...

Longer body or larger diameter are your two main options for better suppression, and if you want to keep the weight down, titanium really is your best bet. Bear in mind that there are also a lot of 9mm cans that are rated for .300 subs and supers, and they will likely give you better performance with low pressure subs. For suppressing supers, I think rifle cans might have the edge.

This is a tough one to nail down, as there are so many different options to choose from.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top