Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2018 10:41:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know that there is a huge variety of them out there in various origins, grades and qualities, but what I'm looking for is just a decent shooter with no particular collector's value.  The last time I paid attention to prices on them was when I bought a brand new Hungarian for $65 back around 2002. I know they aren't going to be anywhere close to that but I don't really know what's a good price for one now and what's overpriced.

Thanks
View Quote
Basically if the rifle is in OK condition then anything under $300 is a good price. Good condition $350 and higher. You are no longer going to get those curios for $100 or less. That time has passed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Basically if the rifle is in OK condition then anything under $300 is a good price. Good condition $350 and higher. You are no longer going to get those curios for $100 or less. That time has passed.
View Quote
Agree....figure around $350 to $450 for nice ones anymore...definitely anything under $300 would be a good deal....

And that's just run of the mill Russians...

Although you MAY be able to find the Chinese Type 53's (IIRC) for cheaper...but those days may have sailed too...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Around here, Soviet M44s have been selling for 300-400 depending on condition. Won't stop the gun show guys from throwing them on their table at $425, but it looks like that price is finally starting to drop back down again.

East Block Mosins tend to be all over the place.
For a shooter beater I would look at a Hungarian, they are not pretty but they function well.
Polish 400-600.
Hungarian 275-375
Romanian 300-450

Can't forget the Chinese, but personally I find these to be very hit or miss. That is not getting in the horrible pitting they tend to have under the top hand guard.
Type53 250-350

*That being said I haven't paid over $315 for any of mine this year, with the exception of a 43 Soviet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Pigood is pretty accurate on prices. There is not much to be had under $300 any more. The problem is that there is no big seller with a lot of them here in Ga. it is a matter of finding ones and twos until you find what you want.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're just looking for a shooter, find a Chinese T53. They are normally the cheapest of the bunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top