Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 7:06:42 PM EDT
I find myself wanting one, but I don’t know where to start looking, or what to look for really.

I know I want a legit P38, not a P1.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $750 for my 1944 Spreewerke last year, but I have seen non-walthers going for close to $1k now in good condition with crisp waffenampts.

Import markings, VoPo markings, RC markings, non-matching serials can all reduce cost though.

I bought mine on GB.
discreet import marks, but other wise excellent condition, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s not as bad as I thought it might be, I definitely want a numbers matching example if that’s not going to drive the price up too much.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
On average a WWII 98-99% condition common P-38 is now selling for between $1250.00 - $1450.00 these days.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On average a WWII 98-99% condition common P-38 is now selling for between $1250.00 - $1450.00 these days.
View Quote

How about a 97% condition?

I would spend $1000, but I’m not sure I’d go much more than that. I guess I could probably sell an AR that I don’t even shoot to fund a nice one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would spend $1000, but I’m not sure I’d go much more than that. I guess I could probably sell an AR that I don’t even shoot to fund a nice one.
View Quote

Take a look at Legacy Collectibles in PA and look in the sold column for a good gauge on P-38 selling prices.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Take a look at Legacy Collectibles in PA and look in the sold column for a good gauge on P-38 selling prices.
View Quote

Also check out Simpson Ltd. They have P38s regularly and just added a few today including a reblued Walther for $650 that sold before I could buy it.

https://simpsonltd.com/whats-new/
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also check out Simpson Ltd. They have P38s regularly and just added a few today including a reblued Walther for $650 that sold before I could buy it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh wow, I didn’t realize they could be had in that price range. I would’ve bought that one.

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Do remember that if you intend to shoot it, absolutely NO +P ammo.  Use only lightly loaded range ammo.  P38s can and do have a problem with slides cracking.  So go easy on it.  This is why the P1 changes were made, and even at that they still were not immune from slide cracks and also the aluminum frames of the early P1s that didn't have the reinforcing hex pin.

Still, they are interesting and fun to shoot, and are the inspiration for the Beretta 92 series.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Its been a minute and ive been drinking. But i want to say i dropped around 2k on this a few months back

Uno on pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Id never suggest i got the greatest deal on a gun.. But its exactly what i wanted and perfect
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh wow, I didn’t realize they could be had in that price range. I would’ve bought that one.

Thanks for the link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

I haven't been watching it this week, but they apparently listed and sold a $695 reblued Mauser today and a $700 reblued Walther Wednesday.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I haven't been watching it this week, but they apparently listed and sold a $695 reblued Mauser today and a $700 reblued Walther Wednesday.
View Quote

If all you want is a shooter I would suggest just buying a P1.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good thing with Simpson Ltd. is your going to pay the absolute highest prices anywhere

That way you don't have to worry if your getting screwed, you know you are right off the bat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends entirely on the P38. An all correct, all matching, unrefinished, unmessed with gun from any manufacturer will sell for around 1k these days for a common manufacture. If you hunt hard you may be able to do better.

Some years/codes are significantly rarer than others. Most common could be mid war cyq guns or something like an ac44 or ac43. I happen to actually collect P38’s specifically and have about 15 or 16 of them. Back maybe five or six years ago I got lucky and bought some more common dates such as an ac44 and an ac42 for between 600 and 700 dollars. I also have things like double matching ac41 rigs, single matching ac40 guns, a byf42, an FN frame cyq, a 480 gun that are worth over 2k or I’m some cases over 3k each.

Basically it all depends. I would suggest you hunt for something like an ac44 that is all correct and see if you can pick it up for under 1k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top