Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2020 12:16:18 PM EDT
Recently a friend and I have kicked around the idea of is building  FALs. I'm not afraid of the build, from all the write ups I've seen it's fairly straight forward and I have access to all the tools, etc to get the job done.

However I'm not a FAL aficionado, and while I know a little bit about them (metric vs inch) I'm not up to speed of kits and receivers to stay away from. Right now it seems I can find Imbel kits with barrels for mid 500's and then go with a DSA reciever to start the build.  Is that a good route to go for someone just getting into FALs?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with one of the Israeli light barrel kits and a DSA Israeli marked receiver. I think those are harder to acquire now, and checking a few of the websites that had other FAL kits, they are sold out. The only place that seems to have kits in stock (Imbel) is gunthings.com. I know nothing about them and their website looks like something out of angelfire in the 1990s. Metric mags seem to be easier and cheaper to find. I bought a nice stock of 10 mags a couple months ago.

I'm not finished with my FAL as my tools are in storage and with the rona, which means I haven't been back to work on the rifle. You will need a barrel vise and receiver wrench. If the barrel is new, you will need to be able to press the gas block on and off of the barrel. Then a drill press for drilling the gas port. The good thing is there is a hole you can drill through with the gas block on to ensure alignment. They are not that expensive to acquire. If you can find a kit with the barrel populated already, then it is that much easier to build.

The big problem I had was waiting for DSA to make parts a few months ago. I would wait on the mailing list until parts like the Israeli marked receiver, U.S. made Israeli length gas piston, and U.S. made FCG were in stock. It might be worse now, but I haven't checked as I have all of the parts I need to build, minus the locking shoulder. I will buy that after I headspace the rifle. I bought my barrel from Apex gun parts, but they no longer sell them, but that was a barrel specifically for the Israeli kits.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently a friend and I have kicked around the idea of is building  FALs. I'm not afraid of the build, from all the write ups I've seen it's fairly straight forward and I have access to all the tools, etc to get the job done.

However I'm not a FAL aficionado, and while I know a little bit about them (metric vs inch) I'm not up to speed of kits and receivers to stay away from. Right now it seems I can find Imbel kits with barrels for mid 500's and then go with a DSA reciever to start the build.  Is that a good route to go for someone just getting into FALs?
View Quote

Sure.  IMBEL kit is the most economical.  Pars might still have some of their imported IMBEL receivers in stock, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
@stimpsonjcat

Figured it'd tag you because I see you always doing cool FAL stuff and you're also in GA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@stimpsonjcat

Figured it'd tag you because I see you always doing cool FAL stuff and you're also in GA.
View Quote

I will help assemble new FALs for free.

It's my very favorite thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
What a country has Imbel kitsch with the original barrel, just have to find a place that has receivers in stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What a country has Imbel kitsch with the original barrel, just have to find a place that has receivers in stock.
View Quote

Let me know if you want help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
As several have said.  Imbel is the most economical and will be in the best shape.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Sure.  IMBEL kit is the most economical.  Pars might still have some of their imported IMBEL receivers in stock, too.
View Quote

Is Pars GTG? Seems a little sketchy only accepting money orders haha. My buddy just ordered an Imbel kit and is looking for a receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bulletboy5150:

Is Pars GTG? Seems a little sketchy only accepting money orders haha. My buddy just ordered an Imbel kit and is looking for a receiver.
View Quote

I don't even know what Pars is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Is Pars GTG? Seems a little sketchy only accepting money orders haha. My buddy just ordered an Imbel kit and is looking for a receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Sure.  IMBEL kit is the most economical.  Pars might still have some of their imported IMBEL receivers in stock, too.

I've never heard anything bad about them.  I got mine from a group buy ordered from them a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dinnertime:

I don't even know what Pars is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dinnertime:

I don't even know what Pars is.

Firearm importer.  They imported a bunch of IMBEL receivers, among other things.  All of theirs I've seen have the gear logo, too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Gunthings is good to go. I got my 1st Imbel kit from Brad and it is one of my favorite rifles. The kit was in almost pristine shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top