Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/3/2018 11:24:33 PM EDT
I have a 18" sawback Ontario knife and while it doesn't hold an edge as well as I'd like the handle is solid and it works well. Good heavy blade for heavier chopping.

I need a quality 22-24" with a lighter, thinner blade for vines and lighter veg.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Robert mole and sons from Trinidad port of spain, it is heavy enough for some good chopping and still nice for underbrush.

Looks like this one, not fancy but after you're done chopping they don't care anyway

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Make one, it is more fun that way.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I bought that one 6 years back for a palm full of spit.

I haven't used it, but it's well regarded.

I do practice my Kung-Fu moves with it, however.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Chris
Are the plastic handle ones as good or do they offer a 22" with a wood handle? Specifically looking for a thinner blade 22-24". I have a heavy 18" already.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Kinda hard to beat this deal.
I did a little research on these when I picked up one at a yard sale for a buck.
Supposed to be British imported steel. Most reviews people liked them.
Mine is the longer one. 24 or 26" not really sure. Light an the handle is solid plastic probably ABS.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/colombian-military-surplus-assorted-machete-knives-5-pack-new?a=1923616

Edit: 22" blade, 27" overall.  Blade thickness is a little over 1/16" (.080") Weight is 1 lbs 2 oz.

I was able to file, sand and lightly polish the grip. Making it flush with the tang and smooth to grip.
host images
" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are the plastic handle ones as good or do they offer a 22" with a wood handle? Specifically looking for a thinner blade 22-24". I have a heavy 18" already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris
I don't know the difference in blade thicknesses and I'm not home, but I'll measure the spine at the handles when I get back.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-TT522-Machete-Sword/dp/B0050KM4MM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531448296&sr=8-1&keywords=tramontina+machete+22

just as good in my experience - wood up to 18" I think
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top