Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2020 7:29:15 PM EDT
https://www.amazon.com/13-Cent-Killers-Snipers-Vietnam/dp/0345459148

It looks like a remington with a fluted barrel did they have fluted barrels back then never seen a military rifle with flutted barrel.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that's a picture of Carlos Hathcock. It should be a Winchester model 70 heavy barrel. It's not a flute, but the reflection of the scope against the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that Carlos hathcock.

Didn't he use a win 70 rifle?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not know who it is maybe the author , hathcocks name is only mention once in the book (only read half so far) they mention getting new remingtons never mention winchester.  I think hathcock was not in the 5th marines.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That might not be Hathcock. I remember a thread where one of the pictures that is commonly attributed to him is not him but I can't remember if it's that one. I would post this in either GD or Precision Rifles.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe that's a picture of Carlos Hathcock. It should be a Winchester model 70 heavy barrel. It's not a flute, but the reflection of the scope against the barrel.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think it was Gunny Hathcock either so l went looking and found this;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colorization/comments/bjhp9o/marine_lance_corporal_dalton_gunderson_checking/

Crap! Beat by a minute!  But l got a link to a colorized pic.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is not 'White Feather'.. that is LCpl Dalton Gunderson scanning the area for VC/NVA snipers during Operation Virginia in '66.
View Quote

Ah, good to know. Still appears to be a Winchester Model 70 with a heavy (non-fluted) barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
That is one odd scope setup.

Were there model 70s with mounts on the barrel or is that a custom job?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
ok found a better picture

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389561436524926214/

I think on the cover it looked fluted because of the reflection of the scope on the barrel.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Likley my next build will be converting a 1937 dated Win 70 into a USMC spec M70 with Douglas barrel

Far too common to see photos mis-named to the wrong bloke.
One of the biggest offenders is the alleged photo of Simo Hayha lying in the snow - even though the soldier in the photo is wearing Swedish uniform and armed with a Mauser M96
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Read some of the reference books by Peter Senich, then slap yourself
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could be they just removed the rear sight & used that dovetail?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#14]
That is the way they did it back in the day. The reason for the external adjustments is that is a much more robust way of adjusting the sights and all the competitive shooters used them for long range shooting. The people that set up the sniper programs tended to be competitive shooters, and they chose what they knew. Honestly at the time (40s & 50s), it was probably not the best choice, but for extreme long range it was probably better than a 4X Weaver because of the precise adjustments. For practical purposes the Weaver was probably a better choice.

Those Unertl scopes were just a steel tube and glass and not sealed to the elements. In a field environment there are a lot of downsides.  You still see smallbore competitors use these externally adjusted sights, although they are difficult to obtain these days since Unertl went away in the early 80s.

Google Van Orden Sniper Rifle.

B
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The redfield was considered a huge improvement. Back in the 90s Norman Chandler used to host BBQs for young S/S Marines. He always had a bunch of rifles around that depicted different eras of the job. A lot of them were built buy the same guys that built the originals back in the 60s. I remember playing with one set up exactly like the one in the famous picture. I remember thinking that protecting it in the field must have been a bitch.

A close friend of mine that I met after he came back in the Corps after a 10yr break in service told me about going to Desert Storm and his gunny built a rifle rack and demanded everyone use it on the range. The very first day on the range in Saudi Arabia they broke for chow, racked the rifles and went into the shade to eat. When they came back the the sun had melted all the pigment out of the etched reticles. Now the S/S platoon had no rifles. They had 2 useable out of 12. Unertl turned them around in a week and they had them back in time to step off the LOD.

Another good story of his while Im at it:  they had the then new Barrets shipped to them in SA. No training, no scopes, no ammo, no training, they received a bullshit TM that was a xerox of some ones notes. Some pages were hand written and xeroxed. They bought shit scopes and he took his into kuwait with irons, they shot delinked M2 ammo.

Edited to add: this same friend was in swoffords platoon and said the book and movie are all lies.they never had any alcohol. There was no branding. Swofford was the only one that hadnt been to division school when they deployed. I believe him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top