Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 7:01:28 PM EDT
I have a red dot mounted on the rail no riser,when I'm on target at 25 yards I am 3" low at 10 yards
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That is really strange without a riser.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a red dot mounted on the rail no riser,when I'm on target at 25 yards I am 3" low at 10 yards
View Quote
I am surprised you are that low at 10 yards unless that red dot is high above the bore axis.  I have a safe full of 9mm carbines of different varieties. I zero at 25 yards as with the 115 / 124 gr. bullets I use this gives me the least POI deviation for ranges from "up close" to "far away" (that is "in your face" and out to 100 yards, the working range of a 9mm carbine).

With a 25 yard zero the bullet is "rising" out to the target so anything closer than 25 yards you POI would be blow your point of aim. (bullet hits "low"). It should not hit lower than the distance from the line of sight of the red dot and the center line of the barrel and this is where that 3" low impact becomes confusing if your red dot is mounted low.

As for what range to zero, people will give you man answers. Some just zero for whatever range they think they will shoot the most. Some put on scopes with dials so they can crank the sight into whatever range they are shooting. But then there are those of us who actually can visualize the path of the bullet and adjust our aim point to compensate. For a real marksman this is the way its done. They know how to "lead" due to the speed of their target, the wind, etc. and they know how to "hold over" or "hold under" based on the range to the target.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is really strange without a riser.
View Quote
It is on my new extar pistol,the way the upper is designed it is like a built in riser this is what I assumed made it shoot low up close
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
What's your height over bore? It sounds like a lot, 5+ inches?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
25 yards is my std. zero for all my pistol caliber carbines & pistols. Most of them run optics mounted high.
Some are sighted in for 50 yards like my TNW 10mm carbine and my Beretta Storm 9mm carbine.
If this is primarily for home defense, I'd zero for 7 to 10 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top