Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2021 5:38:35 PM EDT
I have one of the newer models and would like to put a very simple rail on it so I can put a red dot on it.  Any ideas or suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search for Ultimak rails. I used them on 2 mini 14s with red dots. Works great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do a search for Ultimak rails. I used them on 2 mini 14s with red dots. Works great.
View Quote

same here.  worth every dime
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Ultimak is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone tried a GG&G Ruger Mini-14 rail or anything else that will get the red dot closer to the rear sight?
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried a GG&G Ruger Mini-14 rail or anything else that will get the red dot closer to the rear sight?
View Quote

I have a Burris FastFire II on one & really like it. lightweight, inexpensive, easy on & off.  aligns with cheekweld very well.
Its the one made for the FF II, not the one thats a pic rail.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
If your Mini has a "scalloped' receiver, then one can use such to mount either the Ruger "conventional" rail, or a quality aftermarket unit using the same mounts.

If your Mini lacks the "scallops', then an aftermarket "side-mount" will be required.  The best of them will allow reasonably low mounting of the optic, and will be reasonably sturdy.  Most of them will be deficient in one way or another.

Both  types of conventional rails have the problems with height-of-optic and with obstructing the action, as well as making cleaning and bolt removal much more of a hassle.

Having tried every approach in the past, I now use an Ultimak scout rail, with a wide-lens RDS.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a GG&G rail and it fit and functioned perfectly. I liked the ability of having the red dot closer and was still able to keep the guard for that bolt. The nice thing is with the hand guard/rail replacement, you only have to remember once when your finger gets close to the charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a GG&G rail and it fit and functioned perfectly. I liked the ability of having the red dot closer and was still able to keep the guard for that bolt. The nice thing is with the hand guard/rail replacement, you only have to remember once when your finger gets close to the charging handle.
View Quote
The OEM Ruger plastic Hand Guard is generally the first OEM item that gets the boot from most users.  Really no need for it;  M1s, M-1Carbines, and M-14s/M1As never had HGs anything like the OEM Ruger plastic HG.

Most folks replace OEM Ruger HG with a plastic, vented Choate HG.  There are some users who claim the additional venting provided by the Choate unit reduces the effect heat has on the barrel, thus slightly enhancing accuracy.  I've yet to hear from anyone who was injured due to substitution of the Choate HG for the OEM plastic Ruger HG.  Can also be painted, if desired.  About $15, but shop around.

Image of Choate HG:https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/images/items/Fullsize/CMT70204.jpg?t=636314049203637114
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Really no need for it;  M1s, M-1 Carbines, and M-14s/M1As never had of wooden HGs.
View Quote

But they all did have wood handguards.  Are you trying to say that they never had wood handguards that covered the op rod/slide like the Ruger handguard?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But they all did have wood handguards.  Are you trying to say that they never had wood handguards that covered the op rod/slide like the Ruger handguard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really no need for it;  M1s, M-1 Carbines, and M-14s/M1As never had of wooden HGs.

Yes, I mis-typed comment quoted above, as can be seen from garbled grammar.  I revised original comment.  Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried a rail on top of the Ruger ring mounts, and anything I mounted on it sat too tall.  I have had good luck using a 30mm tube red dot in a 30mm Ruger scope ring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top