BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does someone have any negative firsthand experience using WSR at 556 pressures?

I’ve literally loaded thousands of rounds of 556 w no issues.  I’m curious to hear what those issues are...
View Quote
I use the shit out of them.  25.4 gr of TAC puts me at 3000fps.  Not a single issue.

I also use Tula KVB-223 and CCI 41. Looks like all I have left is CCI right now.  I miss those cheap Tula primers..........
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
CCI 400s is all of Ive used in 10s of thousands of rounds, including some very heavily loaded stuff that easily approaches 5.56 loads.  No issues.  Ive used Win SRP and Federals as well.

I have seen issues where thicker cupped primers like 41s can hide pressure signs, and you dont see youre over pressure until its too late.  Primers with thicker cups should only be used as a last resort if you really need to get to that last node, and then only used with caution
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
CCI 400s is all of Ive used in 10s of thousands of rounds, including some very heavily loaded stuff that easily approaches 5.56 loads.  No issues.  Ive used Win SRP and Federals as well.

I have seen issues where thicker cupped primers like 41s can hide pressure signs, and you dont see youre over pressure until its too late.  Primers with thicker cups should only be used as a last resort if you really need to get to that last node, and then only used with caution
View Quote
Aye. With ~2 thou shoulder bump and reasonable gas timing, CCI 400s are a fairly reliable indicator of .223 max where one shouldn't pass without proper pressure measuring instruments if multiple reloadings and integrity is expected from cases. If the top charge performs ideally, substitute a thicker primer (with perhaps a few tenths less charge) to resist gas piercing and slamfires.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wrong.. I said I found the 341 primers to be significantly hotter than the CCI-450 primers.

The anvil difference I found to be true with #34 and CCI-250 primers.

CCI also says their BR primers are not Magnum rated.

That's true with the BR2 primers, but I found the BR4 primers to be equal to CCI-450 primers, which is a bit hotter than than CCI-400 primers.

The CCI-450 and BR4 primers do have thicker cups than the CCI-400 primers.

CCI blanket describes their primers in small and large sizes, without distinguishing the differences within the same size primers.

CCI-200 primers are super mild large rifle primers.

CCI-400 primers are slightly milder than CCI-450 primers and CCI-450 primers are not as hot as #41 primers and BR4 primers are exactly the same strength as CCI-450 primers.

I've clocked them back to back with the same loads.

BR4 and CCI-450 primers are sort of Magnum-light primers.

#41 primers are full power Magnum primers.

#34 primers are similar to CCI-250 in power, but don't seem as consistent as CCI-250 primers.

BR2 primer seem slightly milder and there really aren't any large Bench Rest primers anyway.

CCI-200 primers are very mild, compared to other large rifle primers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/b]

Wrong..CCI says the only difference between the 450 and #41 primer is the anvil is further from the cup. DOD requirement from what I understand to prevent slam fires.

Wrong.. I said I found the 341 primers to be significantly hotter than the CCI-450 primers.

The anvil difference I found to be true with #34 and CCI-250 primers.

CCI also says their BR primers are not Magnum rated.

That's true with the BR2 primers, but I found the BR4 primers to be equal to CCI-450 primers, which is a bit hotter than than CCI-400 primers.

The CCI-450 and BR4 primers do have thicker cups than the CCI-400 primers.

CCI blanket describes their primers in small and large sizes, without distinguishing the differences within the same size primers.

CCI-200 primers are super mild large rifle primers.

CCI-400 primers are slightly milder than CCI-450 primers and CCI-450 primers are not as hot as #41 primers and BR4 primers are exactly the same strength as CCI-450 primers.

I've clocked them back to back with the same loads.

BR4 and CCI-450 primers are sort of Magnum-light primers.

#41 primers are full power Magnum primers.

#34 primers are similar to CCI-250 in power, but don't seem as consistent as CCI-250 primers.

BR2 primer seem slightly milder and there really aren't any large Bench Rest primers anyway.

CCI-200 primers are very mild, compared to other large rifle primers.

You lost me cuz..what you said and what I quoted are the same thing..no?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aye. With ~2 thou shoulder bump and reasonable gas timing, CCI 400s are a fairly reliable indicator of .223 max where one shouldn't pass without proper pressure measuring instruments if multiple reloadings and integrity is expected from cases. If the top charge performs ideally, substitute a thicker primer (with perhaps a few tenths less charge) to resist gas piercing and slamfires.
View Quote

My MK 262 Mod1 cloner load is pushing 2850 fps with 8208 and CC1 400s.  Primers are mildly flat, but not cratered.  Didnt see major pressure signs until 2900 fps, and that was flat primers, light cratering, and extractor marks on case.  Best load was at 2850, so Ill call that a win.

My 55 and 62gr blaster fodder uses AA2230 and CCI 400s.  No issues pushing into the 5.56 loads that Accurate publishes either.  Shoots right at an inch in any gun I own.

My RMR 69gr load uses 8208 and CCI 400s.  Ive been up to 3000fps with zero pressure signs.  Gonna push for 3100 because I still have room in the case...  And because Jake says he loads to 3100

In any case, 41s are not always the solution.  Using the right powder usually solves the issue if you see weird pressure issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My MK 262 Mod1 cloner load is pushing 2850 fps with 8208 and CC1 400s.  Primers are mildly flat, but not cratered.  Didnt see major pressure signs until 2900 fps, and that was flat primers, light cratering, and extractor marks on case.  Best load was at 2850, so Ill call that a win.

My 55 and 62gr blaster fodder uses AA2230 and CCI 400s.  No issues pushing into the 5.56 loads that Accurate publishes either.  Shoots right at an inch in any gun I own.

My RMR 69gr load uses 8208 and CCI 400s.  Ive been up to 3000fps with zero pressure signs.  Gonna push for 3100 because I still have room in the case...  And because Jake says he loads to 3100

In any case, 41s are not always the solution.  Using the right powder usually solves the issue if you see weird pressure issues.
View Quote
I hope that's a 24" barrel.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hope that's a 24" barrel.

View Quote

It is.  If youre gonna go to 700 on a regular basis, you need that speed

Im considering having McGowan spin me up a 26 when this one starts to stop shooting 1/2" groups.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just looking at the SRP stash I see 400s, 205s, 41s, WSR, 450s, and BR4s. They all work fine, though I use the magnum primers for anything loaded warm.

I havent had any flattening/cratering/etc from the thinner primers on my powderpuff plinking loads (24gr of TAC behind 62gr FMJs).
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a quick word of thanks, guys. Due to this thread and expanding the options, my buddy was able to score some primers from one of the online sources last week.

I'm sure he'll be saving money on reloading in no time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does someone have any negative firsthand experience using WSR at 556 pressures?

I’ve literally loaded thousands of rounds of 556 w no issues.  I’m curious to hear what those issues are...
View Quote

I have pierced primers on loads with WSR primers that did not have the issue with Remington 7.5.  I know I should have started a work up again, but didnt.  Not every primer, but enough that I wont load those again without the workup.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top