Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2018 4:52:26 PM EDT
I have about ten thousand 124gr. Gold Dot and HST bullets that I plan to load into new unfired brass for a rainy day. In the past I have used HS6, AA#7 or Power Pistol for this type of work.

However, it's been a few years since I loaded full power 9mm so I thought I would find out what the rest of you guys are using. Are there better powders than the above out there for this purpose?

A couple folks I talked to at the LGS the other day recommended Alliant BE-86 and AutoComp but I have no experience with either of those.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have about ten thousand 124gr. Gold Dot and HST bullets that I plan to load into new unfired brass for a rainy day. In the past I have used HS6, AA#7 or Power Pistol for this type of work.
View Quote
I have never gone wrong with HS6 in 9mm, except the Taurus PT-111 I bought a while back didn't like it, so I switched to HP-38.  Most of what I load in 9mm is 115 grain and while my Taurus loves them with HP-38, it doesn't seem to be as fond of 9mm with 124 grain bullets, but that's just one gun.

Alliant's Bullseye, BE-86 and Sport Pistol are all comparable with each other and I wouldn't hesitate to give any one of them a try.

I don't load batches which number in the thousands.  I consider a batch of 200 rounds to be big so it's no problem to weigh every charge.  That's why I will mention - but not recommend - Hi-Skor 800-X.  It has a profile much like Unique but meters very consistently.  If you don't mind weighing each charge, I have found it to work well 9mm, 38 Special and 45 ACP.

Good luck.  Please post what you decide so that the rest of us can learn from how you made the decision.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Full power loads for high pressure rds like 9mm, 40s&w, 10mm, and 45 Super do very well with Alliant's Power Pistol powder.  Be sure to use magnum primers for more consistent SDs and slightly higher velocities.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I use True Blue or Power Pistol.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like Power pistol as well, but notice when shooting as the sun goes down that it really seems to have a pretty big bright white flash to it.  I was wondering if some of the newer powders work just as well but might have some better flash suppression. I am hoping to drive 124's to about 1200 FPS out of a 4" barrel. I think that should be easily achievable with the right powder. Not sure I want to try to get to that velocity with a fast burning powder like bullseye or 231.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I just came her to say don't load up 10,000 rounds. Just load as you need them. I think you would regret that because if you're like me, I'm always chasing something better.

Oh, and Accurate #5 or True Blue. These two work best for me in a PCC depending on bullet style and weight. I don't shoot handguns enough to bother hunting a load as about anything will do for me in a handgun as long as I can get my velocity.

If you're getting your components from where I think you are. You will find four distinct types of FC brass in there. All of this brass shoots a little different. Look for the FC brass that has the two dots closest to the "FC" like *FC* and NO dot between the 9mm and Luger. It shoots the best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just came her to say don't load up 10,000 rounds. Just load as you need them. I think you would regret that because if you're like me, I'm always chasing something better.

Oh, and Accurate #5 or True Blue. These two work best for me in a PCC depending on bullet style and weight. I don't shoot handguns enough to bother hunting a load as about anything will do for me in a handgun as long as I can get my velocity.

If you're getting your components from where I think you are. You will find four distinct types of FC brass in there. All of this brass shoots a little different. Look for the FC brass that has the two dots closest to the "FC" like *FC* and NO dot between the 9mm and Luger. It shoots the best.
View Quote
I don't usually chase loads in handgun. I work up a good load with the set of components I have at the time and then load a bunch of them. I save chasing loads for my precision and hunting rifles.  I have heard True Blue a couple of times now so may have to give it a try. For full power loads I tend to lean more towards the mid/slow range in powders. Powder like AA#7, Blue Dot, 3N37, N350, etc.
Has anyone tried Blue Dot? It seems to be at the top of the list in velocity in many load books. I have a feeling it may not meter great. Thanks for the recommendation on brass. The brass I am using is new Starline brass. It has worked well for me in the past.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really like Power pistol as well, but notice when shooting as the sun goes down that it really seems to have a pretty big bright white flash to it.  I was wondering if some of the newer powders work just as well but might have some better flash suppression. I am hoping to drive 124's to about 1200 FPS out of a 4" barrel. I think that should be easily achievable with the right powder. Not sure I want to try to get to that velocity with a fast burning powder like bullseye or 231.
View Quote
Great powder but burns slow.  If i shoot power pistol loads through my little pm9 it sends unburnt powder everywhere.  Not a problem with my full size 9mm pistols.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In my pistols, Glock19 and FEG MAK 9x18;  titegroup or bullseye for me.

I tried AA#5 and got lots of unburned powder.  AA#2 worked fine, but costs way more than titegroup.

I suggest trying a few with AA#5 before committing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I got 124gr bullets to 1300FPS in a 4.5" barrel with VV 3N38. I don't have load data handy but if you google 9 major 3N38 you should find a few links to Brian Enos. I've never tried loading it down to 1200 to see if it's clean or consistent though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Has anyone tried Blue Dot? It seems to be at the top of the list in velocity in many load books. I have a feeling it may not meter great. Thanks for the recommendation on brass. The brass I am using is new Starline brass. It has worked well for me in the past.
View Quote
I have used a lot of blue dot in 9mm, for years it has been my go to powder, I have not had any problem metering it. A few things to be aware of:

Loaded below maximum it burns dirty.
Flash and blast, expect fireballs and a lot of noise.
Full power loads are VERY compressed, my loads for 115 grain bullets almost fill the case.

Lately I have been moving away from loading for maximum velocity, its hard on the guns and not pleasant to shoot in a compact pistol. My AR9 was beating itself to death with full power blue dot loads, a 16" barrel and slow powder is not a good combination in a blow back gun.

Gary
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
unique works well for high velocity 9mm loads
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Am using AA-7 for full power 124 and 147 grainers.  Seems to work better with Fed sp mag primer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Im pushing HiTek coated 115s to 1350fps with CFE Pistol from a 5" M&P Pro.  Jacketed 124s around 1200 should be very easy to get done.

Ive shot PowerPistol.  Good powder, but its a bit flashy for me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
So far my best groups with 115 grain hollow points has been with Blue Dot.  Agree with the points made by the previous poster.

800X?  Once I've weighed out the last in the 1 lb. can I bought a few years back there won't be any more on my bench.  It will not measure through my RCBS Uniflow, my Lyman 55B or the RCBS Lil Dandy Pistol Powder Measure.  I'm not weighing every charge for pistol ammo if I can find powder that doesn't require it (just bought some AA#7 and Tite Group to make some test loads.)

I'm only using the Blue Dot because it was left over shotgun powder my mom had at the house after dad passed away a few years back.  I need to find another powder that gives me similar groups/velocities that meters consistently.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had good success with Ramshot Silhouette.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use HS6 for 9 major loading, but will bank that your not loading to those kind of pressures, and may be better off with a faster burning powder for standard 9mm full loads isntead.
View Quote
Do people trash their cases after running that high of pressure?  How many times can it actually take it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
WSF
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Power Pistol for full power loads in both 9mm and 40 S&W.

By full power I'm talking about factory velocities. I don't need to go faster.

You'll discover the muzzy blast and flash associated with Power Pistol isn't any different than other powders if you drive 115's around 1150 fps, 124's around 1100 fps, 147's at 950 fps.

Those are typical of store bought ammo and perfectly useable for self-defense, target use or competition if you don't have a power factor to meet.

5.8 grains w/115's seated @ 1.110" = 1150 fps.

5.2 grains w/124's seated @ 1.135" = 1100 fps

4.65 grains w/147's seated @ 1.155" = 950 fps.

Hornady bullets accross the board.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]
9mm 115XTP 1.093" 4.25" M&P

7.2gr Power Pistol 1367 fps

6.5 UNIQUE 1393 fps

8.5 BlueDot 1382 fps

5.7 WSF 1221 fps.

---------------------------------------------

124gr XTP 1.093"

7.9 BlueDot 1300 fps

5.8 UNIQUE 1269 fps

5.7 PowerPistol 1118 fps

6.7 HS6 1185 fps

* these are max loads, taken from Load data books like SIERRA, Lyman, Speer, etc, or reputable websites like http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/..... as always, work up with caution and common sense.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I only use Autocomp for hot 9x19.

I use an over book max charge and get 1255 from a USP9 with 124gr bullets.

Shot thousands of them with no issues and I use less Autocomp for the 124s than a certain well known "hot" ammo manufacturing company.

Not sure how exactly what you want but if it's speed Autocomp can get you there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Good results with autocomp (used mostly due to comped gun, CFE pistol (hot or unburned powder blows back), and tightgroup.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I only use Autocomp for hot 9x19.

I use an over book max charge and get 1255 from a USP9 with 124gr bullets.

Shot thousands of them with no issues and I use less Autocomp for the 124s than a certain well known "hot" ammo manufacturing company.

Not sure how exactly what you want but if it's speed Autocomp can get you there.
View Quote
Does your USP9 have a factory barrel? I assume you are talking about UW ammo? You been reading 10mm-firearms.com
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do people trash their cases after running that high of pressure?  How many times can it actually take it?
View Quote
Inspect every case every single time, and you’ll know which ones to recycle.

The standard 9x19mm case is pretty robust, but it will eventually bulge with a steady diet of high power loads.  Fortunately 9x19 brass is “plentiful.”  Enough so that a lot of people don’t bother with military cases because of the extra step to remove the primer crimp.  I am not so stingy with my energy - I will either swage or ream those crimps because I find military cases to be more consistent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I would probably start with be-86. Think powerpistol with less flash. (Note, it is not identical to power pisiol, use a manual(s) and work up.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have had good success with Ramshot Silhouette.
View Quote
+1 It's suppose to have a flash suppressant in it. Some folks use it to shoot 9mm major, so it is has the potential.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm looking to do something similar.
Have a bunch of nickel Speer brass on the way.
Using 124gr Gold Dots.
I want to make training ammo that closely replicates my go to defensive ammo.

I was just looking at Speer's load data for 124gr gold dots and BE86 is second on their list.
Blue Dot is #1
I have a huge stock of BE86 so I'm going to use that.
Will report back with results.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Does your USP9 have a factory barrel? I assume you are talking about UW ammo? You been reading 10mm-firearms.com
View Quote
Yes to all of those questions
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Can't go wrong with HS-6, 124gr projectiles, and CCI 550 SP magnum primers.

Load that performs well in all my 9's is 6.4grs HS-6, just below max according to Hodgdon.

Getting 1200-1250 fps from 4" barrels, very clean, no pressure signs, and accuracy is good enough

that I've made this load my EDC SD load using 124gr XTP or Gold Dot.

After HS-6 comes CFE Pistol, Longshot, AA #7, and Ramshot Silhouette.

Silhouette seemed to prefer a standard CCI 500 over the magnum 550.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
For max velocity, use Blue Dot.
For max accuracy, use Power Pistol to start
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I decided to go the Power Pistol route first.
My target is to push 124gr. Gold Dots at 1225 fps from a G19. That is what the 124gr. +P's run in my gun.
For 147's my target is 1025 FPS. Again, what the 147+P's run in my gun.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm looking to do something similar.
Have a bunch of nickel Speer brass on the way.
Using 124gr Gold Dots.
I want to make training ammo that closely replicates my go to defensive ammo.

I was just looking at Speer's load data for 124gr gold dots and BE86 is second on their list.
Blue Dot is #1
I have a huge stock of BE86 so I'm going to use that.
Will report back with results.
View Quote
If you are just wanting training loads that duplicate your defensive loads I recommend shooting a similar weight cheap bullet at the same velocity, instead of using those expensive bullets on paper/steel.
For instance I can load and shoot a whole bunch of pulled or plated bullets for the price of Gold Dots.
My .45ACP shoots the Ranger-T 230 gr. at 850 FPS. I worked up a load consisting of 6.0 gr. of 231/HP38 under a 230gr. plated RN and get the same velocity, recoil and POI.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Autocomp is very clean and efficient when hot
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Tested some 124GD this past weekend with BE86.
Results are promising.
5.6gr BE86
1.120"

Plan on working them up close to 5.9-6gr.
@ 5.6gr they feel pretty good and shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I use unique, but don't remember why .  

I loaded 2,500 124 gr gold dots into new brass, and realized that they were not all created equal.  Shot out of glock 19, a little too long and it would jam.  Differences in bullet length lot to lot was more than I would expect from such a round.  I had to fire quite a few to make sure the longest ones wouldn't jam the gun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I just tested loads with True Blue and AA#5.  Both burned clean, and both functioned great with good accuracy.  True Blue wasn't any easier to meter than #5, but it was easier to weigh while I was dialing in the powder measure.  Caveat: these were "warm" loads.  I haven't tried either powder with mild loads, which may change how clean they burn.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Used a lot of TB, never used A#5.

Which did you like better?
View Quote
I'm really happy with the True Blue.  It felt softer than the #5 in fairly stout loads (6.0 grains, both powders).  They were both clean enough that my freshly fired brass was shiny on the outside and only slightly dirty inside.  And of course loading with both was easy but TB didn't take any fooling around with the powder measure - when I got to the weight I wanted, it was the weight I wanted.  AA#5 took a little tiny bit of tweaking to get it settled.

I'd have a definitive answer if my chrony had worked.  I don't know whether the TB loads were softer, or the AA#5 loads were going a lot faster.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd have a definitive answer if my chrony had worked.  I don't know whether the TB loads were softer, or the AA#5 loads were going a lot faster.
View Quote
If both 6.0gr, they were going pretty close to the same speed if the rest of the load was the same. These powders are very close in burn rate. Actually, the TB was probably a tad faster with the same charge wt. depending on the bullet I guess.

I use #5 for HST and GDHP, and TB for Hydrashoks and a few others. It works out for better groups for me this way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Full power loads for high pressure rds like 9mm, 40s&w, 10mm, and 45 Super do very well with Alliant's Power Pistol powder.  Be sure to use magnum primers for more consistent SDs and slightly higher velocities.
View Quote
Solid info above.

Only thing I would caution you about Power Pistol is that it is VERY flashy. You can see the flash in bright sunlight so it would kill your night vision.

I am personally a huge fan of Bullseye especially at the top end of the pressure curve, it is actually quite clean burning at high pressures.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use HS6 for 9 major loading, but will bank that your not loading to those kind of pressures, and may be better off with a faster burning powder for standard 9mm full loads isntead.
View Quote
I was just going to mention 9 Major...or rather "9 Major"...

which for our OP would mean his 124 grain bullets are zipping out  1,330 fps or faster to produce a hit factor of 165 or better.  (165,000)

would that be considered "full power"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is why some USPSAers will splurge and buy a Case Pro roll sizer.

I have never had an issue with 9mm brass I picked up after a match, but I only reloaded it to minor power factor.

For 147 grain bullet, that is about 884 fps.

EDIT:  a Case Pro roll sizer has two machined plates that like slide past each other and in the process, squish cases back to within spec.  Some people say that it will also tighten up loose primer pockets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#45]
The USPSA guys I shoot with that are 9mm major shooters use their brass once.
They don't want to risk a kaboom from a overpressuered case.
9mm major pressures are way above any SAAMI specs.

Stick to regular 9mm load data or maybe +P at most.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Solid info above.

Only thing I would caution you about Power Pistol is that it is VERY flashy. You can see the flash in bright sunlight so it would kill your night vision.

I am personally a huge fan of Bullseye especially at the top end of the pressure curve, it is actually quite clean burning at high pressures.
View Quote
Be-86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top