Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2018 3:23:16 PM EDT
I just bought a Zenith 5RS. I’ve noticed some people change some parts out right away. What is good to change or what are they changing?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
BLUF: I would buy and run the MAD Bolt. That's it. Anything else would be spare parts purchases.

Details:

I ran down this path and learned the Zenith parts worked as good as the German parts. OMG!!!

I bought a SP89 carrier and an F bolt... and now the high dollar F bolt is a spare while I use the German carrier with a MKE bolt. It *might* be a touch easier to charge but that could be in my head. The bolts are identical to my eye outside of the roller holders.

Maybe I was lucky but the bolt gap didn't change with either bolt.

The MAD Bolt with a spring type extractor spring makes so much sense. I might even sell my F bolt to buy one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No reason to run a MAD bolt or replace any parts on your zenith. Submit a form 1, pick up some spare mags and buy ammo and see what parts if any will make shooting it more enjoyable after shooting it for a while. (red dot, different stock, weapon light, etc...)
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BLUF: I would buy and run the MAD Bolt. That's it. Anything else would be spare parts purchases.

Details:

I ran down this path and learned the Zenith parts worked as good as the German parts. OMG!!!

I bought a SP89 carrier and an F bolt... and now the high dollar F bolt is a spare while I use the German carrier with a MKE bolt. It *might* be a touch easier to charge but that could be in my head. The bolts are identical to my eye outside of the roller holders.

Maybe I was lucky but the bolt gap didn't change with either bolt.

The MAD Bolt with a spring type extractor spring makes so much sense. I might even sell my F bolt to buy one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The main thing to do with a Zenith is to verify that the specific gun that you bought is a good one, as soon as possible. There seems to be more than a little bit of variability, regarding their QA and QC. The main problem areas seem to be the magazine well, causing loose-fitting mags fore and aft, and canted sights. So, if you get a Zenith with a good receiver, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The main thing to do with a Zenith is to verify that the specific gun that you bought is a good one, as soon as possible. There seems to be more than a little bit of variability, regarding their QA and QC. The main problem areas seem to be the magazine well, causing loose-fitting mags fore and aft, and canted sights. So, if you get a Zenith with a good receiver, you should be good to go.
View Quote
Good advice. I got one with canted rear sights and they just sent me a whole new gun. The next one was better, but still slightly canted. It zeroes just fine though, so I didn't make a fuss out of it.

I prefer a red dot on mine using the supplied mount and a UTG low picatinny riser. Clears the front sight hood and is still QD. I Form 1'd mine and right now it's wearing an A3 F stock, but I generally prefer the A2 stock for actual shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top