Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2018 8:52:40 PM EDT
Anybody have any thoughts? I have a dissipator upper with a USGI carry handle that I'm either going to put an A2 or collapsible stock on and then spray paint white with brown/black spots.

Maybe paint scheme like this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
you want about 50% white on the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Good lube.
5.56 pressure ammo.

That's about it, outside of actually shooting in intended climate as the ultimate test.

Is your dissy upper a true dissipator, or faux dissipator? A true dissipator will have a tougher time with lower power ammo and/or heavier buffers and/or heavier recoil springs in really cold conditions.

ETA:  or do you mean cosmetically?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Either a winter trigger guard or hinge the standard one down as its intended to for gloves. A good oil for low temps and a barrel condom. Lense caps for your optic if you get one. That's all you could really need.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good lube.
5.56 pressure ammo.

That's about it, outside of actually shooting in intended climate as the ultimate test.

Is your dissy upper a true dissipator, or faux dissipator? A true dissipator will have a tougher time with lower power ammo and/or heavier buffers and/or heavier recoil springs in really cold conditions.

View Quote
Both, but mostly functionally.

What lube is best for cold weather?  I have a lot of CLP but I can't remember what temperature that is good til.

The upper is from PSA so I think it's a mid length gas system.  Going to use an extended latch charging handle, PSA premium BCG, extended take down pins and a magpul trigger guard.

Most of my ammo pile is Wolf Gold, I think that was pretty close to 5.56 specs.  Otherwise I'll use some PPU 62gr.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've been looking at photos and I see that the best rifles are a mix of white brown and black.

Do you have a walk through or good example?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I use CLP on all my ARs and have not had any issues in cold temps. Coldest I've been out shooting was negative teens, only was out for about an hour but the gun ran fine.

ETA. As for color remember most snow isn't pure white. I wouldn't go more than 50% white like mentioned above. The other colors will depend on the terrain you plan on being in.

Black for plowed fields
Dark brown for wooded areas
Light brown/tan for marsh and prairie grass
Throw in some green if you will be hunting around spruce trees.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been looking at photos and I see that the best rifles are a mix of white brown and black.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,
I just know that the best winter camo isnt all white unless you are on the North Pole, there are trees and bushes that are brown and green too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Any chance of moving this back?

I know I included some photos but the emphasis was supposed to be on parts/functionality.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Dunno about parts, I don't think there's anything really special out there designed for cold besides a bigger trigger guard.

On the lubrication, if CLP doesn't work well, I've found Eezox to work well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any chance of moving this back?

I know I included some photos but the emphasis was supposed to be on parts/functionality.

Thanks!
View Quote
@aimless
Pm a mod
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What lube is best for cold weather?  I have a lot of CLP but I can't remember what temperature that is good til.

The upper is from PSA so I think it's a mid length gas system.  Going to use an extended latch charging handle, PSA premium BCG, extended take down pins and a magpul trigger guard.

Most of my ammo pile is Wolf Gold, I think that was pretty close to 5.56 specs.  Otherwise I'll use some PPU 62gr.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good lube.
5.56 pressure ammo.

From @combat_diver

Army uses LSA below 0, between 0 and 32 both LSA and CLP can be used. Above 32, CLP is the primary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as parts, etc. I would suggest avoiding aluminum rails. Aluminum is used for heatsinks for a reason. Even with gloves it will suck the heat out of your hands. If you have an aluminum rail and don’t want to change consider rail covers. On your stock a piece of neoprene should insulate your cheek a bit.

Other than lube and ammo issues the gun should run fine. Do what you can to make you comfortable as possible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As far as parts, etc. I would suggest avoiding aluminum rails. Aluminum is used for heatsinks for a reason. Even with gloves it will suck the heat out of your hands. If you have an aluminum rail and don’t want to change consider rail covers. On your stock a piece of neoprene should insulate your cheek a bit.

Other than lube and ammo issues the gun should run fine. Do what you can to make you comfortable as possible.
View Quote
Oh snap, I think someone forgot to mention that to the Norwegians!

MG3 Machine Gun & HK416 Assault Rifle Live Fire
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget dingy yellow in your color scheme.  Sometimes snow is yellow.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top