Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2022 11:20:02 PM EDT
What parts break on various bullpups?  How tough/good are the bolts compared to ARs?

Which parts are prone to breakage during use?  What do militaries see on those that use them like the x95, Aug, or VHS?

Bullpups don't seem to be as easy to do quick field repairs.  Break an extractor, not easy to replace in the field, if you have parts.  Or break a lug, on an AR, remove the whole BCG and stick another in.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve had Bolt Sleeves teeth shear off on one AUG, had a plastic lock break on a FS2000.  Yet to have anything break on any of my X95s. Didn’t really own a SAR or T7 long enough to break anything. Never had anything break on PS90, ironically enough nothing ever broke on my KSG
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not broken anything on my AUG
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Would be nice to see round count correlation to parts breakage
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The lugs on the x95 bolt are big so I am guessing there is little chance of those breaking, but I don't know much on those and the wear, especially suppressed.  Wonder on the extract too.  Don't have much familiarity with piston driven guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What parts break on various bullpups?  How tough/good are the bolts compared to ARs?

Which parts are prone to breakage during use?  What do militaries see on those that use them like the x95, Aug, or VHS?

Bullpups don't seem to be as easy to do quick field repairs.  Break an extractor, not easy to replace in the field, if you have parts. Or break a lug, on an AR, remove the whole BCG and stick another in.

Thoughts?
View Quote

You could do that with pretty much any rifle, not just ARs. Just have extra bolt carriers handy. Swapping out a bolt carrier on any military rifle design is generally as simple as popping a couple pins or latches. Swapping individual small parts like extractors is generally gonna be a pain in the ass to do in the field on any of them including ARs.

I would say a spare BCG, gas piston assembly, and FCG should pretty much cover any small parts that are likely to break that you could realistically replace in the field. Handy that many (most?) bullpups have the FCG as a self contained assembly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could do that with pretty much any rifle, not just ARs. Just have extra bolt carriers handy. Swapping out a bolt carrier on any military rifle design is generally as simple as popping a couple pins or latches. Swapping individual small parts like extractors is generally gonna be a pain in the ass to do in the field on any of them including ARs.

I would say a spare BCG, gas piston assembly, and FCG should pretty much cover any small parts that are likely to break that you could realistically replace in the field. Handy that many (most?) bullpups have the FCG as a self contained assembly.
View Quote

I am thinking like with x95 or Tavor that they will not sell spare bolts because of "head space".
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
an extractor or bolt wouldn't be any harder to change on an AUG vs an AR.
In 27 years of owning an AUG I broke a firing pin about 10 years ago. That's it. I do have a spare bolt on hand just in case
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The Tavor SAR have been known to break charging handle rod.  That is the only part I remember seeing break other than the lock if you don’t use the correct tool.  If you don’t follow the manual during disassemble or reassembly you can break the take down lock and/or the charging handle rod.

In my opinion the Tavor SAR has robust construction, is reliable with combat accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Tavor SAR have been known to break charging handle rod.  That is the only part I remember seeing break other than the lock if you don’t use the correct tool.  If you don’t follow the manual during disassemble or reassembly you can break the take down lock and/or the charging handle rod.

In my opinion the Tavor SAR has robust construction, is reliable with combat accuracy.
View Quote

The only charging handle rods I’ve seen broken are from user error when taking out the barrel. I’m saying this as someone who’s crunched one myself doing that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top