Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2018 4:04:15 PM EDT
I am going to use one of the new Brownell's stripped receivers. I am going to buy a good threaded barrel (likely a Kidd)

What about Bolt and trigger etc

What is a good way to not over spend but get quality stuff?  I have looked at the Ruger BX triggers and I have looked at the usual suspects (Timney, Kidd, Volquartsen, et al).  Same thing with Bolts.

I will mainly be plinking with some informal bench shooting but still want some accuracy.  Going to go with a Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't have to get a new bolt.  Radius the rear and polish it a bit and you are good to go.  Myself, I upgraded the trigger (Kidd ss) to go with the threaded Kidd Ultra light weight barrel.  The trigger was a worthy replacement to a VQ.  The whole gun is now ridiculously accurate and very light (B&C thumbhole sporter stock).  The trigger compares favorably with my Jewell BR.  Money well spent.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I don’t have an oem bolt and will be buying new anyways
So what is best? Is an oem ok?

Or somewhere else I should be looking?
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
For trigger groups get the BX if you are on a tight budget, KIDD or Timney if you have the funds.

OEM bolts are reliable and durable. You can do mods to them such as radiasing the rear like has been mentioned, pinning the firing pin, and grinding the face for tighter headspace. Most people don't have the tools to drill the hardened bolt or to accurately measure and grind the headspace. If you are looking for the best accuracy a tighter headspaced bolt and pinned firing pin are a must. JWH $80 for a bolt ready to go or an OEM one for $35+ the work.

EBay has build kits minus the stock, barrel, receiver for $88.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I am leaning right now towards the Timney
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I don’t have an oem bolt and will be buying new anyways
So what is best? Is an oem ok?

Or somewhere else I should be looking?
View Quote
Kidd everything!

The OEM bolt needs to be radiused and pinned. If you don’t have a bolt buy an after market that is gtg from the start.

Seriously save on shipping, buy once cry once, buy every part you still need from Kidd. There arguably are equal but probably none the better out for the 10/22 parts/rifle wise. Kidd and Volquartsen are the go to top of the heap for 10/22 all parts and rifles.

Kidd definitely has the best trigger.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
you'll definitely get a great shooter if you spend close to $1000 on kidd parts; i just got thru
building something close to what you're doing with a 16" carbine length stock & bbl, got a
cheek rest from a-zon (14.00) and a chinneze 8-24 scope free from a buddy

sent the stock trigger to Brimstone & for $48 he tuned it up & set to 3.5lbs; haven't shot it yet
but i did alot of research & that was seems to be the most bang for the buck.

good luck on you're quest; remember, it's not the arrow, it's the indian
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m a pretty decent Indian when it comes to flinging arrows.

Hopefully this gun will make it easy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Send a stock trigger to Brimstone and have them do their tier 2 trigger job.  You will be very happy with it and it’s half the cost of a Kidd.  Either Fedderson or Kidd for the barrel.  JWH $79 bolt (they have an EBay store that they are cheaper) or a Kidd $100 bolt.  Get an upgraded Vblock.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Very helpful.

I will add this to my considerations.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Kidd trigger and barrel. Put in stock/chassis of choice.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought one of the new stripped receivers form Brownells today.

So it begins.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#12]
All of them. Build your own from the receiver up. Here are two of the ones I have put together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im19Fzdr_Gk
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
What are you planning on spending on the total build?

Without any price guidance.

Buy the best barrel you can afford. Kidd said their most accurate barrel was a 20” ss non threaded, but I went with the 16” lightweight threaded and have zero regrets.

After the barrel is purchased I would suggest getting a stock that fits you with your intended optic. (You can make due with a take off ruger trigger and bolt for a while). You will probably get better results with “diy tuned” ruger trigger, bolt, fitted stock with great cheek weld and proper lop than you would with an awesome trigger, bolt, and ill fitted stock.

Next if you can afford a kidd trigger, I have never once heard anyone regret buying one. All people I have heard from have loved them and highly recommended them. I haven’t gotten one yet. I am running a stock ruger with a diy stoning/polishing/weight reduction.

Bolt....  I don’t really see the “need” for a match bolt. A ruger take off will work fine with a kidd extractor and a little work on the radius, firing pin, and some polishing. I haven’t priced them though, so if you can swing the difference in price, go for it!  Kidd would be my first choice with volquartsen a close second.

You can have a great shooting rifle with ruger trigger and bolt with a good stock and barrel. Tuning is required imo. A fine grit knife honing stone, dremel with buffing wheel and compound will do wonders with a ruger take off trigger. If you can get a cheap take off, give it a try. Worst case, put kidd or vq guts in the trigger housing if you screw up the geometry. Just go slow, stone, polish, fit, test, repeat, repeat, repeat, until you get it where you like it.

Bolt work is fairly simple depending on how much you want to get into. A radius, polishing, and extractor replacement will do wonders. Headspace work is a different story depending on how much you want to remove. I wouldn’t bother headspacing a 10/22 bolt unless you have accuracy issues and have already eliminated the other possible causes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#14]
At the moment I am leaning towards Kidd Bolt, JWH skeleton charging handle, Brimstone tuned Ruger trigger, Kidd V Block and internal parts.

Barrel is up in the air at the moment.

I am considering a take down model using the Magpul Backpacker stock.  That limits barrel choice.  Kidd doesn't make a Take down.

I am looking hard at the Whistle Pig Barrel Company in 16.5" with flutes and threaded.  Not sure what else I should look at yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking at doing my own 10/22 build and I kinda want it's performance to fall somewhere between a standard Ruger Target model and a full Kidd rifle if possible. I'm not really picky about where it falls between those two, it could be at either extreme and I'd be happy.

Since this thread is discussing which parts are worthwhile, I was wondering if there are any decent bolt options priced between the factory ruger and the Kidd that will meet my goal.

So far for the build this is my plan.

Brownells BRN-22R receiver
Ruger BX Trigger
Feddersen 16.25" fluted bull barrel
Bolt - Undecided
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at doing my own 10/22 build and I kinda want it's performance to fall somewhere between a standard Ruger Target model and a full Kidd rifle if possible. I'm not really picky about where it falls between those two, it could be at either extreme and I'd be happy.

Since this thread is discussing which parts are worthwhile, I was wondering if there are any decent bolt options priced between the factory ruger and the Kidd that will meet my goal.

So far for the build this is my plan.

Brownells BRN-22R receiver
Ruger BX Trigger
Feddersen 16.25" fluted bull barrel
Bolt - Undecided
View Quote
I skipped them because of my personal aesthetic choices. ( I want all black everything) but the JWH Customs bolts are really nice and already radiused etc.  He has a store on eBay and a site.  They run about $80
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I built up a 10/22 a piece at a time on a Ruger receiver. I first bought a Blackhawk Axiom stock it improved accuracy a little. Next came a Tactical Solutions barrel and again a little more improvement. Sent my OEM trigger/hammer assembly to Hornet for the Black Max package and again a small improvementI wasn’t really impressed yet and then came the purchase of a Kidd bolt wow it turned the gun into a real tack driver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top