Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2022 10:23:05 PM EDT
https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/all/products/pedersoli-classic-side-by-side-shotgun-12-ga-percussion-l-241-012
I'd like to shorten it to about 8" or so. Does it have to be soldered at the new end, or can it just be cut and left as is?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never cut a double down that far. The barrels should be attached to the top rib and bottom rib. Most people fill the gap between. Stuff some steel wool or copper wool into the gap and then melt some solder to fill.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you want to do that? If you wanted to make a short shotgun wouldn't it make more sense to NFA a modern one as SBS?  It doesn't seem real practical either way but anything black powder is usually very slow to reload and if you are cutting a $1200 gun down (destroying the resale value),,,, why?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you want to do that? If you wanted to make a short shotgun wouldn't it make more sense to NFA a modern one as SBS?  It doesn't seem real practical either way but anything black powder is usually very slow to reload and if you are cutting a $1200 gun down (destroying the resale value),,,, why?
View Quote

To look cool and burn off all your facial hair would be a good 'why'.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
IDK, back in the day I cut a NIB Rossi Stagecoach 20 ga. down to 10", sort of a Mad Max clone that one could actually shoot w/o too much pain (this was before the mini 12 ga. shots hells hit the market). It looked like the picture above, barrels soldered all the way, with the end cap left with a hole. I think I filled the hole w/some form of JB Weld.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep it as is for someone who wants it like that.

For a short sawed off and no NFA check out this - https://americanguncraft.com/products
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Pedersoli makes a 11” one. Search “Pedersoli Baker Cavalry Shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or get a Howdah and attach the butt stock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're all 20gas though. I swear there used to be a 12, but lately all I see is 20.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or get a Howdah and attach the butt stock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125478/howdahstock_jpg-2542360.JPG
View Quote

Only 20 ga. I've been in contact with this company trying to get them to offer a stock for their guns. https://americanguncraft.com/products/
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No paperwork or tax stamp, you bought the CVA kit when they were still inexpensive along with a spare set of barrels off ebay, etc....  Sadly it's still in the box, I need to actually put the kit together.  Did I mention no paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

single trigger that fires simultaneously both barrels
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only 20 ga. I've been in contact with this company trying to get them to offer a stock for their guns. https://americanguncraft.com/products/
View Quote
the American Guncraft linked above include 12ga
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They're all 20gas though. I swear there used to be a 12, but lately all I see is 20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They made a 12 at some point. I picked up a used one a little while ago.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Traded for a cheap Indian 11 guage and removed about 28 inches of overall length
It was a fun project
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For a short sawed off and no NFA check out this - https://americanguncraft.com/products
View Quote

I can't imagine those would be pleasant to shoot. At all
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched a fair number of videos on them trying to convince myself to buy one (I haven't bought one).  Like any gun it's mostly dependent on the load.  The factory suggested load is like 40gr, IIRC, which is really anemic; most folks seem to end up somewhere between 70 and 100gr and some have gone even higher (disclaimer, remember to only use the factory recommend loading data, etc.).  The people on the videos all reported that the longer barrels (extra weight) and the larger, full sized grip made it more comfortable than the two finger gripped six inch version - duh, makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I watched a fair number of videos on them trying to convince myself to buy one (I haven't bought one).  Like any gun it's mostly dependent on the load.  The factory suggested load is like 40gr, IIRC, which is really anemic; most folks seem to end up somewhere between 70 and 100gr and some have gone even higher (disclaimer, remember to only use the factory recommend loading data, etc.).  The people on the videos all reported that the longer barrels (extra weight) and the larger, full sized grip made it more comfortable than the two finger gripped six inch version - duh, makes sense.
View Quote

Watched some more videos on it and agree that it looks a HELL of a lot better than 12 gauge smokeless pistols. Seems more of a rearward push.  Let us know how you like it
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Watched some more videos on it and agree that it looks a HELL of a lot better than 12 gauge smokeless pistols. Seems more of a rearward push.  Let us know how you like it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't bring myself to buy one, just too much money for something I doubt I'd shoot more than a couple of times.  If I were rolling in cash it'd be a different story but I've got too many other things to deal with right now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top