Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2020 8:53:20 PM EDT
Looking at one but I saw a vid(one so far)that says you need pmags for dependability. I’m good with that going in but I’d like to know which Gen etc.

Advice requested please.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer my AUGs they way Austria intended but the NATO stock should be happy with any STANAG magazine. I do not recall hearing of any issues with a particular brand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Me neither but when I saw that video I came up short and started posting.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Odd that someone recommended PMAGS for supposed reliability when the PMAG is the only mag/NATO stock combination that has been shown to have issues.

I think it was gen 2 pmags that caused chatter on the bolt carrier due to pushing the LRBHO up into the carrier. If I remember right, it wasn't just an AUG related issue, SCARs had the same problem with those mags.

I'm a happy camper with USGI mags and would recommend those, but I'm sure the new PMAGs are fine also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
D&H, Okay
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it was gen 2 pmags that caused chatter on the bolt carrier due to pushing the LRBHO up into the carrier. If I remember right, it wasn't just an AUG related issue, SCARs had the same problem with those mags.

I'm a happy camper with USGI mags and would recommend those, but I'm sure the new PMAGs are fine also.
View Quote

You might be right about that. I know I had some issues with the older PMAGs in a Tavor as well. Pretty sure new PMAGs are good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I’m set then: I own exactly two pmags but have no idea where they are but am well stocked with AR mags.

Thanks everybody.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Odd that someone recommended PMAGS for supposed reliability when the PMAG is the only mag/NATO stock combination that has been shown to have issues.

View Quote

What about lancer then?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

All pmags except Gen3 cause the issue. It’s the radius on the back of the feed lips. This radius holds the bolt catch elevated and causes it to impact the bolt. It does this with AUGs and SCARs as you mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]
NHMTG, Okay, HK, Surefire 60 round sits in well and has been very reliable for me (A3SA CQC)
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
NHMTG, Okay, HK, Surefire 60 round sits in well and has been very reliable for me (A3SA CQC)
View Quote

May have to get some of those.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Are these(NATO AUGs)a3s or m1s or both? It’ll be a week maybe before I’m able to pick it up and the anticipation is working me!
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you Sven.

I’m hoping for A3 since I have two Manticore Arms scope mounts for the A3(and now could put them to use on my two a3s, hopefully). I have an a3m1 and really like the 3x scope.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]
My old TPD AXR clone uses a NATO stock and hammerpack - it came with old school Gen 1 PMAGs but I largely used USGI and original Lancer L5 magazines with it.  Never had an issue with any of the three types though, and I ran suppressed, loud, brass case, steel case.

Kent worked with Magpul on the "TMAG", pretty much a Gen 1 PMAG with a translucent polymer formulation.  He never reported any issues with the AXR, but supposedly Magpul was never happy with the overall durability and nixed it as an official product.  He was pretty happy with the PMAG performance overall on the AXR.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used a variety of AR pattern mags on my AUG's both in semi auto and full auto and I have only found one mag not to work.

I love Trokmag and they work great in every gun I've used them in, including full auto, but the Torkmag will not feed in a NATO AUG.

The MSAR E4 stock will work with surefire 60rd mags but will not seat a Schmeisser 60 BTW.

tsh77769
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My old TPD AXR clone uses a NATO stock and hammerpack - it came with old school Gen 1 PMAGs but I largely used USGI and original Lancer L5 magazines with it.  Never had an issue with any of the three types though, and I ran suppressed, loud, brass case, steel case.

Kent worked with Magpul on the "TMAG", pretty much a Gen 1 PMAG with a translucent polymer formulation.  He never reported any issues with the AXR, but supposedly Magpul was never happy with the overall durability and nixed it as an official product.  He was pretty happy with the PMAG performance overall on the AXR.
View Quote

Unless TPD modified the bolt catch leg that interfaces with the mag follower, use of P-mags most certainly resulted in bolt catch lift which was impacting your carrier and bolt. I used pmags in my NATO stock USR/A2 for around 1k rounds before realizing the bolt catch was dragging on the bolt and carrier. It never caused a failure, but it’s most certainly dragging and use of USGI aluminum mags does not cause it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Unless TPD modified the bolt catch leg that interfaces with the mag follower, use of P-mags most certainly resulted in bolt catch lift which was impacting your carrier and bolt. I used pmags in my NATO stock USR/A2 for around 1k rounds before realizing the bolt catch was dragging on the bolt and carrier. It never caused a failure, but it’s most certainly dragging and use of USGI aluminum mags does not cause it.
View Quote

I’d have to dig it out to see; I’d certainly trust your analysis of the situation though. You’re on the “posters with deeper experience than me” list.

I used them some, but I prefer Lancers and USGI so ran those a lot more.  They just fit more of my weird guns overall as well compared to the PMAG.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’d have to dig it out to see; I’d certainly trust your analysis of the situation though. You’re on the “posters with deeper experience than me” list.

I used them some, but I prefer Lancers and USGI so ran those a lot more.  They just fit more of my weird guns overall as well compared to the PMAG.
View Quote

Ha, thanks.  I never had any issues in the AUG, but it definitely occurs. In my SCAR16, it caused a bit of peening of the bolt lug that the catch would hit. Once I noticed that, it caused me to look at the AUG. After that, both the SCAR and the AUG only use USGI aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
The NATO I just bought came with a PMAG. Haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I got my NATO AUG Friday, cleaned her up Saturday and hope to blow her out today.

I’ve got some handloads and I’ll bring a mag of green tips.

I’m really hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Congradulations
What optic will you be going with?
Might i recommend an acog?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Firing for function only, currently.

Appreciate the recommendation though uzimon.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does anyone know if the AUG was one of the mags the Magpul E-Mag was designed to accommodate?  I loaded up on a bunch of those since I liked the ergos over the Gen 2 & 3 P-Mags
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Success.

Fired a GI mag with no issues and my eyeballed PA red dot and it was on at 25 yds so I'm set with my NATO.

The M1 is also sighted at 25 but I read about some people are swapping them for better optics so I may look into that in a bit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Does anyone know if the AUG was one of the mags the Magpul E-Mag was designed to accommodate?  I loaded up on a bunch of those since I liked the ergos over the Gen 2 & 3 P-Mags
View Quote

E-mag has the same permanent bolt catch lift issue as gen1 and gen2 p-mags. The E-mag was designed to accommodate magazine wells that don’t allow the external profile of the traditional P-mag, ie the HK416 and FN F2000.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Internally the Emag are the same as Early pmags. Changes were made only externally to make it more Stanag compatible.

OP, you know the rule..

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I used gen2 pmags and have chatter marks all over my bolt carrier.  Never failed to load and fire though, but I have since switched to gen3s, surefeeds, and lancers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#29]
@Frens

Sorry Boss, my bad. Gettin right on it Boss!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Holding my breath that she didn't take a header.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Funny, I cam back to this thread to check out some mags for my new friend!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/128645/IMG_0147_JPG-1708182.JPG

Holding my breath that she didn't take a header.
View Quote

Nice!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I went NATO originally because I have a bunch of the Surefire casket mags. Big fan of them over my D-60s. They fit well in the AUG and are about the same thickness as the stock and help with that pesky bullpup reloading complaint. I'd throw these into the hat for having a few on hand:

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Reiko, I’m searching now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked for some but they’re mostly OOS. The two I saw for sale from individuals were “never live fired”, “just inserted for looks”, so I’m going to stay with OKs.

You’ve never had any FTFs. I listened to two YouTube’s this morning and they were fails.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Reiko,  what’s the difference between casket mags and D60s? I thought they were the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I have some chatter marks on the bottom of a carrier from using older pmags.  But that’s all that ever came from it.  No malfunctions of any kind.

Need to square off the back of those older pmags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Reiko,  what’s the difference between casket mags and D60s? I thought they were the same thing.
View Quote

D60 is magpul. Like so

https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-pmag-5-56mm-d-60-drum-magazine-black-mag576-blk
Casket isnt a drum style its a surefire quad stack
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What about lancer then?
View Quote

Lancers work perfectly in my AUG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top