Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/13/2019 4:03:29 PM EDT
Yeah I know kinda weird but, my folders get all rusty and messed up shucking oysters and clams.

Nothing fancy. I was carrying a spyderco and the tip got chipped off and started to get rust spots.

Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Oyster knives are specialty knives, good for shellfish and that’s all. Read up on them here:
https://www.elementseafood.com/how-to-choose-an-oyster-knife/

For general fishing purposes, an inexpensive 3” or so bait knife and a good 8-9” stiff filet knife will cover most bases.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
This might help?

Will it Rust? Knives vs Great Salt Lake | We Found a Drone!
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oyster knives are specialty knives, good for shellfish and that's all. Read up on them here:
https://www.elementseafood.com/how-to-choose-an-oyster-knife/

For general fishing purposes, an inexpensive 3" or so bait knife and a good 8-9" stiff filet knife will cover most bases.
View Quote
This.  Use a regular knife on oysters and you will quickly find yourself with fresh stitches.

I use a Carolina oyster shucking knife.  They are around $6.

Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Spyderco Waterway got rustproof, quality salt water fishing fixed blade. Spyderco Siren or Caribbean for a folder.

Agree with the others you do not want a regular knife for oysters, get a dedicated oyster knife.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Any of the Spyderco Salt H1 series is rust proof not just stainless.

As suggested an oyster shucking knife is purpose made and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Spyderco spyderchef?
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Spiderco Salt or Caribbean.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My fishing/boating knife is a spyderco dragonfly II in H1.

I use a dedicated oyster knife for shucking clams and oysters.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top