Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/29/2020 6:47:53 AM EDT
Totally not a knife guy so I have no idea.

What are some of the knives that everyone has on their plate carrier/ chest rigs.  Other than identifying that they are fixed blade knives, I don’t  know what kind they are and especially what kind of attachment point is being used for the Kydex looking sheath.

Any help with some suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Magnus by Amtac

Magnus
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#2]
For as plate carrier, there's options.  Personally, I'm a fan of the esee4 for this.

You'll use it much more as a knife than weapon.  The poster above suggested a well designed fighting blade, I suggest that a utility blade is more useful in this role.

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a SOG seal pup. It's smaller size fits perfect and doesn't hang down into my AR mag carrier.
I have it in the SOG sheath that also holds a gerber 36 multitool in the front of the Molle sheath.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Gerber LMF II
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For as plate carrier, there's options.  Personally, I'm a fan of the esee4 for this.

You'll use it much more as a knife than weapon.  The poster above suggested a well designed fighting blade, I suggest that a utility blade is more useful in this role.

View Quote

Agreed. I went with the esee 3.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Now if I could just find any of them in stock...
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now if I could just find any of them in stock...
View Quote

What are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd recommend something from the Kabar/Becker BK series.  Whichever blade length suits you.  They are big, thick and very strong blades.  I have a DPx HEST on my vest and it's a very strong blade but it is a little short in my opinion.  If I were still in law enforcement and were going to put a knife in my plate carrier it would be one of Becker BK knives.  Plenty strong for prying and you can choose a length that works for last ditch defense as well.  They have a great handle design that locks the knife in your hand and the full tang blade has a hammering end on the butt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  What is it that you selected to purchase?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was looking for the ESEE,  and now I have found a site showing several in stock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd recommend something from the Kabar/Becker BK series.  Whichever blade length suits you.  They are big, thick and very strong blades.  I have a DPx HEST on my vest and it's a very strong blade but it is a little short in my opinion.  If I were still in law enforcement and were going to put a knife in my plate carrier it would be one of Becker BK knives.  Plenty strong for prying and you can choose a length that works for last ditch defense as well.  They have a great handle design that locks the knife in your hand and the full tang blade has a hammering end on the butt.
View Quote

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hoffner Hand Spear and I just laced the holes in the kydex sheath thru molle loops laterally.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a SOG seal pup. It's smaller size fits perfect and doesn't hang down into my AR mag carrier.
I have it in the SOG sheath that also holds a gerber 36 multitool in the front of the Molle sheath.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309020/SOG37MNb_jpg-1568152.JPG

View Quote

Such an underrated knife in my opinion. I have one that has held up under heavy use including all sorts of wood baton. Soft metal but it’s durability and ease of sharpening are cool features for a bush craft type knife.

ETA - OP, it seems like a lot of the guys that actually wear PCs a lot (military, cops) often suggest a multitool over a fixed blade knife. Seems like practical advice IMO. For a fighting knife I’d be looking at a Colonel blade or a push knife.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I think a carrier mounted knife is a good idea, but semi hidden between the body and inside of the carrier. As we have seen recently, zombie like swarms of "peaceful protesters" have been attempting to disarm people so keeping back ups (whether knife or pistol) hidden/hard for an attacker to access/secured by some retention device is key imo for these times.

I personally would choose a blade that is optimized for stabbing rather than chopping/slicing/slashing (looks impressive but mostly survivable unless you sever a major artery) and long enough to easily pierce vital areas (prefferably a 5"or longer blade).
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 4 not including a multi-plier.  

So my questions will be:

"Will this be the only knife you have on your person ?" ,
"What are you using the knife for?",
and  
"How much room do you have on your carrier for it?"

Weight considerations are always something to look into, as in my own case I have level 3 vest of kevlar with front, rear, and side plates and my carry weight with nothing at all in my vest is about 22 and a 1/2 pounds.  I'm a big guy so this isn't too much of a problem but I'm not going to be  running any 100 yd dashes very fast fully loaded.

If you are in public your knife should not be shown anywhere on your vest specially if you have contact or close proximity to the public.  Actually I should say discreetly carried. You won't see a knife openly carried or recognizable on an LEOs vest.  So I would suggest something that could be concealed that is of sufficient size to do what you needed to do.  If you're looking for something with 4" or less there are numerous good choices out there.  Tuck it in  behind your magazines or into the side of your vest or underneath to where you can reach and get it if you're in a close clinch with somebody where they can't get ahold of it.

And yes, SOG seal pup is a good choice and it falls into that category and it's also got a proven record and  not very expensive.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an esee3 on my micro set up and and an esee4 on my larger rig.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
If you can stomach Benchmade, their SOPC is ideal for a plate carrier dagger.  Light, intuitive.  
there is another company that makes the same model but more expensive. https://spartanbladesusa.com/shop-all/cqb-tool/
https://www.skallywagtactical.com/collections/blades/products/d2-dagger
Since it is so light, and really only a fighting tool, I would suggest also carrying a multi tool in your pocket or belt. You will end up using that much much more. But if you ever need a "get off me and die!" Knife, the SOCP mounted centerline on your chest is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
budget: SRK
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
ESEE3
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my Gerber Strongarm. Can't go wrong with the Esee though.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top