Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2018 2:20:02 PM EDT
Any info you might have is appreciated. Friend from Belgium has this and asked if I might know something about it. I'm turning to you guys.

He says it takes cartridges as opposed to black powder.

I'm including the photos he sent me. It appears to be 19th Century French.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Some type of target rifle, perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some type of target rifle, perhaps?
View Quote
I remember something about a Schutzen?  rifle at one point.  Standing offhand w/ the ball rest thing used to support it.

http://www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_IN_SHOWS/29-16_SCHUETZEN/29-16_schuetzen.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Zimmer Sheutzen .
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey OP, unless this was some sort of riddle, there's this thing thing called...................wait for it..............oh yeah taking a picture OF THE ENTIRE GUN
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey OP, unless this was some sort of riddle, there's this thing thing called...................wait for it..............oh yeah taking a picture OF THE ENTIRE GUN
View Quote
Its not my gun, I was just contacted by a friend in Belgium and he sent he these photos.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It appears to be a Martini action schuetzen rifle.  It could be in a black powder cartridge or a smokeless powder cartridge (black powder does not necessarily mean muzzleloader.)  It could also be rimfire.  Pictures of the whole rifle, better pictures of the markings, and a diameter of the bore could help in providing further information.

EDIT:  Just looked through the pictures again and noticed some things I had overlooked.  The buttplate makes me think it could be Swiss.  They were also known to build target rifles on commercial Martini actions.  The apparently French language stock inlay would also support this theory, but being that it is in Belgium, that could also explain the language.

EDIT 2:  It appears this is on the right track.  See this listing:  STAR-D.E. MONTABLE SWISS SCHUETZEN TARGET RIFLE
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a step in the right direction!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It appears to be a Martini action schuetzen rifle.  It could be in a black powder cartridge or a smokeless powder cartridge (black powder does not necessarily mean muzzleloader.)  It could also be rimfire.  Pictures of the whole rifle, better pictures of the markings, and a diameter of the bore could help in providing further information.

EDIT:  Just looked through the pictures again and noticed some things I had overlooked.  The buttplate makes me think it could be Swiss.  They were also known to build target rifles on commercial Martini actions.  The apparently French language stock inlay would also support this theory, but being that it is in Belgium, that could also explain the language.

EDIT 2:  It appears this is on the right track.  See this listing:  STAR-D.E. MONTABLE SWISS SCHUETZEN TARGET RIFLE
View Quote
the price in that listing is a bit optimistic,
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Mystery target rifle with set trigger. A picture of the complete gun and  something for scale would help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
French Martini-Style Target rifle is all i can find....Looks about the same.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#13]
A couple interesting articles:

From 1929:
http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/pdfs/westergaard-defining.pdf

And 1952:
http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/pdfs/westergaard-mydays.pdf

Edit: to be clear, it's info on the Schuetzen style of shooting, not specifically that rifle. My guess would be a smaller smith made gun. Maybe the guy's shooting team name was "Les Carabiniers" and he was #2 on the team!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top