Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2023 10:24:04 PM EDT
I was watching this video and destructive devices seem to be the most common item in the NFA registry, are there that many m79 and m203s out there?  What else is registered in such high numbers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYp0quWgoq4
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Police flash bang
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Street sweeper I'd bet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Street sweeper I'd bet.
View Quote

Nope, LE buys flash bangs, CS/Tear gas grenades and 40mm anti personal stuff
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Police flash bang
View Quote

If we're counting law enforcement, this. Otherwise, M203s.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Plenty of vintage artillery pieces hosting fixed ammunition greater than .50" bore diameter.  Many in private hands even if they haven't been actually fired since 1898, 1918, or 1947.

Before 1968, even in California there were surplus towable artillery for sale as novelty items out of Army-Navy surplus stores.  Bannerman sold a lot of French/Swiss/Spanish/German 20mm, 37mm, 40mm, 75mm, etc. out of 1950s-era men's adventure magazines like Gung Ho and such.  Also every VFW chapter and city municipal parks or courthouses across the nation may have had totally unsuitably demilitarized artillery and mechanized relics mounted with near serviceable howitzers on them according to later following BATFE specification.  Filled them with cement and left the breech ring and breechblock in place.  Or they just removed the breechblock regarding the barreled receiver as just a harmless pipe.  Many of these were added to the NFRTR over time in amnesty fashion.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw that video the other day as well and was completely shocked. I would have never guessed there were that many DD registered.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Street sweeper I'd bet.
View Quote

I can't imagine there's enough of them to even make a dent. I'd bet there's more M203's out there than street sweepers but I have no idea on the real numbers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I can't imagine there's enough of them to even make a dent. I'd bet there's more M203's out there than street sweepers but I have no idea on the real numbers.
View Quote
I agree.
I have both, but it's rare to see a Street Sweeper for sale (or actually get transferred). Also, they kinda suck.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
I agree.
I have both, but it's rare to see a Street Sweeper for sale (or actually get transferred). Also, they kinda suck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13082/StreetSweeper_JPG-2712776.JPG
View Quote

I knew a guy with one in Alaska and talked to one other dude who had one and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him about the amnesty. Haven't seen one down here but haven't really looked. I always liked them because they looked cool and were featured in chessy movies like Marked For Death.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I knew a guy with one in Alaska and talked to one other dude who had one and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him about the amnesty. Haven't seen one down here but haven't really looked. I always liked them because they looked cool and were featured in chessy movies like Marked For Death.
View Quote
They do look pretty cool, and they're compact for the 12 shots you get. I like ridiculous "scary" stuff anyway, and they looked cool in Battlefield 2 and some other videogames I played as a kid, but in real life it's easy to outrun the cylinder and just get a click when you pull the trigger (because the spring hasn't advanced the cylinder all the way yet). There's also this weird overpressure impulse you feel on your hand during firing because of how gas vents out around the cylinder assembly. It's slow and awkward to reload it. None of the Cobrays have automatic ejection; it's all manual like a Colt SAA (after you open the loading gate).
Anyway, it's pretty fun to play with, but I enjoy shooting my M203 more (even with chalk).

I had to give the one pictured above a good cleaning, but I got it for a great price because it wasn't registered during the amnesty. (I have the folding stock as well. Came with that Armson Pro-Dot  too.) Some people think they cannot be registered now, but it's the same as anything else... Just separating the barrel and cylinder from the frame/receiver ends the DD possession. Then Form 1 the receiver. Once approved as a DD, reassemble. No big deal.

I only got to handle a Striker-12 once, but they're reputed to be the "good version" and Cobray's product is a less expensive copy of it.
Penn Arms offered the improved Striker-12 design, with automatic ejection, for many years but only to LE.
Today the VEPR-12 is the way to go if you want compact + capacity.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I got a Tromix to scratch the itch but never shoot much anymore. I contacted Penn Arms and they didn’t even want to talk to me. Think I asked about their 40 or 37mm launcher as well as the 12ga.

I always wanted to try one of the super short Protecta guns from South Africa. They looked like what the street sweeper should have been all along.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I love me some Street Sweeper. It's so bad I love it.  I'm working on a couple things right now. Stay tuned for silliness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top