Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2018 6:25:28 PM EDT
I am currently around 90 days at the moment waiting on a form 3 approval. I sent the dealer my money on April 29, 2018 and he claimed to have submitted the paper from 3 shortly thereafter.

Is there something fishy going on here or has anyone had it take this long?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you ask them whey they aren’t using the E-Form system?

24-72 hour approval is pretty much standard for E-Form 3’s now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you ask them whey they aren’t using the E-Form system?

24-72 hour approval is pretty much standard for E-Form 3’s now.
View Quote
I did. I wasn't really given a good answer either other than he said "I've had trouble in the past with them". So I here I am 90 days later and my dealer still doesn't have the suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like he’s having trouble with the paper forms...
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like he’s having trouble with the paper forms...
View Quote
Yeah not too happy about it but not sure what I can do at this point
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a true "transfer only - product in FFL inventory" F3 last year,  that took about 5 months.

It was a closeout/shop display Tirant9 I grabbed off gunbroker for cheap as I wanted a second non-modular Tirant after the originals were discontinued in favor of the modular ones.

It was a never ending string of excuses and apologies from the selling dealer.   My honest assessment was between the dealers laziness/stupidity and the fucktards at the NFA branch playing their normal paperwork games (the model name has a dash between tirant and 9...oh wait maybe it doesn't....can you send a picture and resubmit)

To top that one I had a integral Ruger Mark II that took right about 7 months between the approved Form 3 and final shipment to my dealer.   That was on top of the 4 months it took for the C2 to submit the F3 after they received my MKII for conversion work.  Total time was a little over a year, but was a mix of build time and F3 transfer time.  That transfer spanned from 2016 into 2017.

In my close to 20 years in buying selling NFA there are no shortage of FFLs out there who are just stealing oxygen from the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the dealer dropped the ball.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If your local dealer uses eForms ask if he can see the item in his inventory yet.

A few years before eForms came out, during our last compliance inspection, our IOI wanted to know where the transferrable M60 machine gun was.

We were like .

The F3 was approved the prior November, it was now February, and the transferor FFL hadn't been sent the paper form yet; it was found on the examiner's desk.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a gunbroker purchase where the vendor tried to pull that shit and told me it takes up to a year.

Ask him for the serial number and call the NFA hotline
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Dead Air Ghost-M from Hansohn Bros, before they even had them in stock (but they had confirmed serial#s) and USPS lost a box of Form 3s Hansohn Bros mailed... Waited from Feb before 41F took effect, until October that year... although that was kind of a perfect storm for NFA purchases.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I asked him for a copy of the submitted Form 3, which he said he would send to my dealer when he submitted it, but didn't. Still haven't heard back.

Last time I talked to him he said he was moving and he expected that to cause a delay as well. From my research address changes shouldn't take more than a few days/weeks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I asked him for a copy of the submitted Form 3, which he said he would send to my dealer when he submitted it, but didn't. Still haven't heard back.

Last time I talked to him he said he was moving and he expected that to cause a delay as well. From my research address changes shouldn't take more than a few days/weeks.
View Quote
I'd start cutting losses at this point and get refunds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got the submitted Form 3, the date next to his signature in Box 11 is 5/1/2018. Crazy.

I may have to do what bunnybunny mentioned and give the ATF hotline a call and see what is going on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Josh hit the nail on the head. I called and they pretty much said they couldn't tell me anything because I wasn't the dealer who submitted the Form 3.

Guy wasn't very nice about it either.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With Form 3's, you can't call.  Only one of the dealers is supposed to have that info.   With paper form 3s, they can be all over the place.  It's certainly not unheard of for some to take ridiculous times for no good reason at all.

Not saying it was right or wrong on the dealer's part--- that's not my place.  I will say that sometimes paper Form 3's are the best option.  Eforms is a broken system and sometimes there are serials that flat out don't work for some bizarre reason.  We use eForms for 3's, but there's plenty of times we have to get in touch with an ATF contact to get it sorted out.  If you don't have those contacts... it's not an easy (or quick) process to try to get them to make eForms work for you.
View Quote
I called NFA hotline and they told me it wasn't in their system. I had to bypass the Form 1/Form 4 hotline for all other forms. When I asked the dealer about it he wanted to know if I would be okay with him "resubmitting" it or give me a refund. I chose refund.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I called NFA hotline and they told me it wasn't in their system. I had to bypass the Form 1/Form 4 hotline for all other forms. When I asked the dealer about it he wanted to know if I would be okay with him "resubmitting" it or give me a refund. I chose refund.
View Quote
I did all that and spoke to an individual but he wasn't willing to even look if it was in the system or give me a status update. Told me he couldn't help me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Weird... I did this about 2-3 months ago. Capitol says they don't do form 3's so maybe I got someone new? I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Josh hit the nail on the head. I called and they pretty much said they couldn't tell me anything because I wasn't the dealer who submitted the Form 3.

Guy wasn't very nice about it either.
View Quote
Only the transferor and transferee can get updates.  Your local dealer can call and ask for the status.

Or like I suggested before, if your local dealer uses eForms he can look for the suppressor in his inventory list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top