Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2018 10:55:30 PM EDT
I’ve got one on the way (no tube).

Finally arrived!

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Good solid unit, dovetail is a plus, however make sure you get the aluminium dovetails on it, the plastic ones will break on you.

Also, careful when installing the tube, the IR and low battery indicator LEDs sit on a thin strip of flex-pcb which easily breaks on you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I hiked a few miles earlier tonight with my PVS-18 and Nightcap/Lowstow setup.The plus to the 18 for me it’s my lightest weight NV system I own since the dovetail mount is built in. I also added the Ether lens to mine dropped weight even more.

Optics wise the eyepiece glass is better than the 14 to me all night long. Objective lens I’ve been told is the glass you would like to have for Intens/4G tube I ran a full Intens tube in mine for a while it did look great performance wise. Right now I have a high spec L3 WP filmless inside 72lp/35SN . It also looks great image that said I’m not sure it looks much different than the same tube did inside a pvs-14 housing first.

Overall, I like the 18 the issue is it’s just overpriced compared to a new 14 housing cost wise. That said it’s a great mil-spec housing overall.

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hiked a few miles earlier tonight with my PVS-18 and Nightcap/Lowstow setup.The plus to the 18 for me it’s my lightest weight NV system I own since the dovetail mount is built in. I also added the Ether lens to mine dropped weight even more.

Optics wise the eyepiece glass is better than the 14 to me all night long. Objective lens I’ve been told is the glass you would like to have for Intens/4G tube I ran a full Intens tube in mine for a while it did look great performance wise. Right now I have a high spec L3 WP filmless inside 72lp/35SN . It also looks great image that said I’m not sure it looks much different than the same tube did inside a pvs-14 housing first.

Overall, I like the 18 the issue is it’s just overpriced compared to a new 14 housing cost wise. That said it’s a great mil-spec housing overall.
View Quote
I got mine for a similar price as a new PVS14 kit, so I did ok on that end.

What Ether eyepiece does it take?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good solid unit, dovetail is a plus, however make sure you get the aluminium dovetails on it, the plastic ones will break on you.

Also, careful when installing the tube, the IR and low battery indicator LEDs sit on a thin strip of flex-pcb which easily breaks on you.
View Quote
Thank you for the warning. The only thing I ever broke on my MUM14 was the fricking light pipe and it’s impossible to find.

I’m pretty sure this one comes with the aluminum dovetail. If it doesnt, I’ll make an order with TNVC.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s the 15/18 Ether eyepiece  UNV sold me mine and it seemed like it dropped the weight way more than the pvs-14 Ether eyepiece did on my pvs-14 housing.  The mil-spec  pvs-18 glass has a much larger eye box than the 14 does it’s a great eyepiece glass wise. I added the Ether mainly for weight reduction and I like the locking diopter feature on the Ether glass.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What Butler flip cap fits?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
@terry1, how do you remove the copper retaining ring to put in a new tube?

Disregard. There was a plastic retaining ring. I used a dental pick to unscrew it, removed the copper ring and placed the tube.

Works like a champ!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
HUGE props to Alex_B for helping me get this thing up and running.

Ridiculously good glass and a great tube (@brodband8)

I really like the -18.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry just saw your post looks like you have it up and running. The glass is excellent and really works well with the  4G tubes also.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry just saw your post looks like you have it up and running. The glass is excellent and really works well with the  4G tubes also.
View Quote
No problem. Thing is great. Might have to consider upgrading to a higher spec tube.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really like the -18.
View Quote
Glad you got it all assembled and working!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I really like the -18.
View Quote
How much different is it than a 14? I like the built in dual dovetail. Are the optics much better or different than a 14?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How much different is it than a 14? I like the built in dual dovetail. Are the optics much better or different than a 14?
View Quote
The ocular has better eye relief, thats the only noticeable optical difference.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t know how much different, but the eye relief feels significantly better to me. I usually cannot wear my eye glasses with my PVS14. I can quite easily wear them with the -18.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Where did you get the housing at?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I like mine but use my 15s more. The main thing is they can be made more waterproof, and early versions had a neato variable gain tube, but that housing is different than yours.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like mine but use my 15s more. The main thing is they can be made more waterproof, and early versions had a neato variable gain tube, but that housing is different than yours.
View Quote
I’d love 15s. I can’t find housings for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
They use the same glass as -18s, correct?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there any way to adjust either of the PVS18's dovetail's for horizontal adjustment?

For example my PVS14 with Norotos dual dovetail creates a similar form factor as a PVS18. One dovetail is fixed while the other has a horizontal adjustment slider built in, and you can swap the two from side to side to pick if you want the primary/adjustable side to be left or right.

Does the PVS18's wider eyebox just completely make up for a lack of horizontal adjustment?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have the broken light pipe i can probably 3d print you a replacement. I 3d print all light pipes out of clear abs and they work great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is there any way to adjust either of the PVS18's dovetail's for horizontal adjustment?

For example my PVS14 with Norotos dual dovetail creates a similar form factor as a PVS18. One dovetail is fixed while the other has a horizontal adjustment slider built in, and you can swap the two from side to side to pick if you want the primary/adjustable side to be left or right.

Does the PVS18's wider eyebox just completely make up for a lack of horizontal adjustment?
View Quote
It does not appear to have a horizontal adjustment slider.

I haven’t noticed the need for such, so maybe the bigger eye box does compensate?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you have the broken light pipe i can probably 3d print you a replacement. I 3d print all light pipes out of clear abs and they work great.
View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 18 is basically a half a 15.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what it looked like. I considered grabbing a 15  chassis I’ve seen for sale, but then I read elsewhere how some people don’t like the 15 and that it’s hard to get repaired. That sucks because I like the 18 eyepiece a lot.

Now I’m considering a DTNVG kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top