Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2019 3:37:11 PM EDT
Been looking at 50 BMG rifles and not sure what the current "best valule" 50 BMG is. The one that probably everyone recommends to get because its the best value, where you don't get much better if you pay more.

Does it make sense to get a semi automatic 50 BMG? Or not worth the extra money right now?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to do with it and what’s your budget?

The AR50 has always been a good value and is great for a conventional rifle style gun and known to be pretty accurate.

The Barrett 99 is one of the best all around guns in my opinion.

The Semi guns are fun but a lot of money and only you can decide if it’s worth it.

I bought a Safety Harbor Black Friday special for dirt cheap but wouldn’t want it as my only gun unless I needed something super light and mobile.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The AR50 has always been a good value and is great for a conventional rifle style gun and known to be pretty accurate.

The Semi guns are fun but a lot of money and only you can decide if it’s worth it.

I bought a Safety Harbor Black Friday special for dirt cheap but wouldn’t want it as my only gun unless I needed something super light and mobile.
View Quote
Can you elaborate? I've been saving for an SHTF-50 mag-fed model because I'm the poors and thought it was as cheap as I could go without buying dangerous garbage; was I mistaken?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can you elaborate? I've been saving for an SHTF-50 mag-fed model because I'm the poors and thought it was as cheap as I could go without buying dangerous garbage; was I mistaken?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a great cheap gun and don't have any problem with the quality I would just take a 99 if I could only have one. It was a great value.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a great cheap gun and don't have any problem with the quality I would just take a 99 if I could only have one. It was a great value.
View Quote
Makes sense; if I told you my budget was $2000-2500 over six months of saving, would you say the SHTF-50 is a good way to go, or is there anything you'd recommend over it? I'm trying to get a "useful" fifty before the next election.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
As I’ve made clear I’m a fan of the 99s but it can be tough to find one at that price. Armalite is another great gun.  Save as much as you can and buy the best thing you can find.

My problem is I don’t have hands on experience with the other low priced guns. I’m happy with my Safety Harbor but haven’t played with the others.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Understood; I'm just trying to avoid saving so long I miss the proverbial boat, as it were. I'll keep socking money away and start a thread later when the time comes, to try and figure out the best way to put it to use
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
FWIW the the Barrett M99 is ~$3300 (MAP guys) from some of the dropshippers putting it pretty close to the other $2-3k offerings. Not sure what intangibles are drawing you to 50BMG but, since it's not a value sorta thing to get into, I'd really only be trying to pick between the Barrett M99 and M82... The former for the cost and accuracy benefits and the latter for the volume of fire and more pleasant shooting experience. Both will serve that exotic party favor role when you go shooting and both will be more iconic/collectible down the road than anything Armalite, Bushmaster, or Serbu are making at similar prices regardless of features. The M82 drops down to ~$6600 every now and then and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster BA-50 was going for 3K$ at sportsmens warehouse. Mag fed, suppressor ready, with nice case, 2 mags and bipod.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If your budget is $2,500 on the plus side, you may want to try to obtain a used AR50.  You can get a lightly used AR50 in the $2,000 to $2,500 range if you are patient.  I'm not a fan of the Safety Harbor but some here are and it may serve your needs if you want a "light" 50.  Don't forget about budgeting for an optic.  Single power optics that withstand the 50 BMG start at $400 and the sky is the limit on multi power options.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
50 bmg really shines when you are shooting at destructible stuff.
Old TVs, microwaves, etc.
Tons of fun to destroy, especially when you can dump a bunch of API into it.

Go semi if you have the money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bushmaster BA-50 was going for 3K$ at sportsmens warehouse. Mag fed, suppressor ready, with nice case, 2 mags and bipod.
View Quote
Dang that's tempting..really want a Steyr again but price keeping me away
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I still want to try a BA50. I've handled them and they feel like they would be pretty natural to shoot but I haven't gotten the chance. I feel like it would probably be one of the better suppressor hosts too because it's big and heavy and a repeater.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Safety Harbor here... I had an AR lower.... It's been a lot of fun! Looking forward to reloading my own ammo and really dialing this in.
Milan
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still want to try a BA50. I've handled them and they feel like they would be pretty natural to shoot but I haven't gotten the chance. I feel like it would probably be one of the better suppressor hosts too because it's big and heavy and a repeater.
View Quote
So I just got one. It has surprised me. I will say the BA-50 is NOT a repeater, it is bolt action. It is a left handed bearing assisted bolt action. I have also shot an AR-50, an Safety Harbor mag fed upper, and an M82.

The AR-50 is probably more accurate, but not by much, but its only single shot. The Safety Harbor was honestly kind of terrible to shoot, but it was cheaper. And the M82 is obviously more fun since its semi-auto but is 2.5-3x the price.

The BA-50 is a great compromise between all of those criteria. I am surprised that more people don't buy them. Also some one warned me about the "awful" recoil and how since they changed over to the AAC break/suppressor mount it was "uncontrollable." That guy was full of shit. The recoil off of a bench was approximate to a stiff 12 gauge slug. It has been a pleasure to shoot. For 3K it is a STEAL, at the 5.4K MSRP just add another 1.8K and wait for the M82 to go on sale.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Repeater is a gun that can be manually cycled and holds more than one round. Bolt/lever/pump actions. Not to be confused with semi auto.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Repeater is a gun that can be manually cycled and holds more than one round. Bolt/lever/pump actions. Not to be confused with semi auto.
View Quote
Yup, hence the "Winchester Repeating Rifle" of such fame.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have only heard people use the term repeater with lever and semi-autos. I figured there was some ambiguity that I should clear up as I know some people who look at the BA-50 initially think it is semi-auto.

Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Our 4H club is selling 100 raffle tickets @ $200 a pop to win a Barrett 82A1
4 10 round mags
400 rounds of ammo
Pelican case
And Swarovski scope
Hopefully my ticket gets me lots of BANG for the buck
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I owned a 50BMG saftey armor with a magazine side fed. Worked great. Only sold it due to back surgery and the recoil. Worked as advertised. Mine was the 22 inch version. Solid 50BMG. I picked up a special lower with no mag well (can't remember the name). Looked awesome. Wish I had not sold it. i reloaded for it. ATF is now making them put a serial number on them which is bullshit. If you want to go cheap, get a safety harbor. Customer service was great when I had a issue on my used one. If you have the bucks, go for the Barrett. Bolt action will give you less issues.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top