Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2021 11:55:10 PM EDT
I found a Remington 03a3 that still has cosmoline all over it. Metal looks good can’t really tell what the stock look like as it’s covered in the cosmoline. the last 4 digits of the serial number are on the side of the stock. It’s in the 3,8xx,xxx range. Any idea what a fair price would be. Looks to be all original.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The serial number on the stock would indicate to me it was issued and increases the likely hood it is not all original, without seeing it.

A really good condition A3 I would say fair is $800-900. If it was all matching, 900 on up depending on what it is. Mixmaster with refinished parts and decent barrel 650-750.

Online auctions seem to be bringing premium prices for sellers. If it is for sale locally, it will not likely bring as high as price as online auctions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s for sale locally.   Thanks for the reply. I was thinking around the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Serialized stock makes it sound like one of the rifles from CMP returned from Greece
Until proven otherwise I would expect mismatched parts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serialized stock makes it sound like one of the rifles from CMP returned from Greece
Until proven otherwise I would expect mismatched parts.
View Quote

Don't let the mismatch scare you off. Chances are it's a CMP Greek return like this one, and they were very nice.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks it looks like the Greek cmp 03a3 in the picture except it’s covered in cosmoline.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a little more research. It definitely looks like a Greek return with the grey / green park.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Many of the Greeks were refinished with a darker shinier black finish.  That hurts the value a little, to some collectors.

But yeah, figure $800-$900 as a base for a M1903A3, with a little less or a little more depending on exact condition and other potential turnoffs (like Greek black finish).
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah the good old days. Back in the 80’s or 90’s, my brother bought a handful of drill receivers for around $10 each.
Back then the old DCM while very limited on what you could buy rifle wise ( one M1 per lifetime and limited “lottery” draw purchases for small numbers of bolt actions or sniper M1D’s) they had piles of parts incredibly cheap ( things like 1903A3 barrels and bolts were under $5!) and he assembled mixmasters for my father him and I for under $100. My last 03-A3 a smith corona with a chopped up stock but thankfully good metal with no sporterizing done I bought about 8 years ago for under $300. Having bought spare parts from the DCM a d storing them all those years we had enough spare parts to return the rifle to correct military configuration with only a couple small parts not S-C. I sold the rifle a few years ago for double what I had into it and thought I did well, but the prices on these continue to escalate to levels unimaginable a decade ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup.  Sounds Greek.

My meter is probably off a bit but I got my 03A3 for about $785 out the door a couple of years ago, and a Greek return 03 right before the COVID lockdowns for $765 out the door.

For the Greek return, note the black parked receiver, pinned floor plate stamped with a beta "B", and the stamped/electropenciled digits on the stock and bolt handle (incidentally mine do not match the receiver serial).

For the A3, particularly note any rebuild cartouches, and whether or not the smaller parts/bolt are blued (original) or parked (rebuilt).

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Did they ship from the cmp covered in cosmoline. It’s probably been sitting since it was returned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did they ship from the cmp covered in cosmoline. It’s probably been sitting since it was returned.
View Quote

Yes.  Took forever to clean mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to try to get it. If it works out I’ll update the thread.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the Greek CMP 1903 I got, including cosmo slathered on/in everything.  Post pics if you get it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like the Greek CMP 1903 I got, including cosmo slathered on/in everything.  Post pics if you get it.
View Quote

My greek return M1903 was slathered in axle grease,  not cosmoline.  Still a mess to clean off that crap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever the grease was on my RIA Greek 1903, it was so heavily greased the firing pin fell in slow motion.  Instead of "Click", it went "thuuuuuuup".  I don't think I've taken the bolt apart yet to deal with that!  I had removed the external grease.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top