Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2018 10:39:22 AM EDT
Just curious what happens when a dealer voluntarily decides to close up, what happens to unsold inventory?  If they don't transfer to themselves or can't sell to another dealer?

What about dealer owned machine guns, post-86?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think a very small dealer would just transfer the title 1 guns to themselves and sell them off slowly. New guns have really crappy margins. So if they were to clearance them they would be losing either way. I’ve see. 3 in my area close all smaller dealers. And they sold a buncha stuff at cost and got rid of a lot of it and rest they transferred to themselves.

On the nfa stuff it’s a little more complicated. Some one will come along and answer that shortly lol
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was really curious about NFA items.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Post 86 MGs are supposed to all be transferred out prior to their SOT lapsing in June, or prior to surrendering their FFL. If they screw that up (like an old boss did once), the result I observed was that ATF made him renew his SOT (and expedited the process), so he could sell/transfer the remaining MGs. He had not surrendered his FFL at that time. The corp held it at least until the following June, even though the business was closed. He sold his M60, Stoner 63, and Swedish K to other SOTs on the internet. Not sure ATF is always that lenient.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post 86 MGs are supposed to all be transferred out prior to their SOT lapsing in June, or prior to surrendering their FFL. If they screw that up (like an old boss did once), the result I observed was that ATF made him renew his SOT (and expedited the process), so he could sell/transfer the remaining MGs.
View Quote
Worst case is that the post-86 samples would be forfeit to the BATFE, if not voluntarily surrendered, destroyed or properly disposed of to other qualified recipients.

Pre-86 or transferrables would simply remain the property of the person or business entity which held the FFL. If it was an entity like a corp, llc or partnership, then the guns would have to be disposed of (tax-paid) to qualified recipients if/when the entity was dissolved or liquidated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I am supposing the same with ailencers, SBRs, etc.?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am supposing the same with ailencers, SBRs, etc.?
View Quote
Nope - only post-86 machineguns are regulated so that one has to be an active FFL/SOT to retain them. Anything else is a keeper for the person or business entity which owned them before giving up the FFL/SOT.

Once the person or entity is no longer a SOT, though, it's $200 a pop to transfer them (except AOWs), even to another dealer, so they'll have greatly reduced sale or resale value if the person or entity hangs onto them not intending to keep and use them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top