Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2017 3:33:16 PM EDT
When they die? All of my NFA items are in my trust and wife and kids are on it. Thought I was done with new NFA toys, but have a few SBR's I'm still wanting to Form 1. To forgo the hassle of adding prints and photos for each person I'm thinking of going the Individual route as they seem to be coming back quicker as well.

That leaves the question though, what happens to those items outside my trust when I kick the bucket? And can they be added to the trust at a later date?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remove the Co trusties off of the trust. Then add back when your done.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
hmm....
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
ATF Form 5:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-5-application-tax-exempt-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53205/download

"Firearm is being transferred to a lawful heir or by operation of law"

Your heirs fill out the form 5 and don't have to pay for a new stamp either. It is a pretty easy process.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Your will says where your property goes.

If you do not leave a will, your state's laws determine who your heir is - usually goes to spouse, then kids if spouse is deceased or divorced, then parents if no spouse or kids, then siblings if no spouse, kids or parents, then on out to your parents siblings or their descendants and even to grandparents' siblings or descendants and so on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Of course, if something happens to you while you're waiting for the new stamps, you have none of the benefits or protections of the trust in force.

Getting an individual stamp and adding the item to the trust later is the same as a transfer, and would require another $200
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ATF Form 5:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-5-application-tax-exempt-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53205/download

"Firearm is being transferred to a lawful heir or by operation of law"

Your heirs fill out the form 5 and don't have to pay for a new stamp either. It is a pretty easy process.
View Quote
Thanks. So I'll just need to specify who the NFA items transfer to in my Will? The heir will in turn file a Form 5?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. So I'll just need to specify who the NFA items transfer to in my Will? The heir will in turn file a Form 5?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The estate files the Form 5. The executor of your estate (named in the will) is who would submit it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine are specifically bequeathed in my will.  I put instructions and a sample Form 5 in the will packet to help understand the process.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hmm....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hmm....
ATF actually told me to do this.  My brother was deployed and couldn't get prints.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Many folks fill out the F5 and keep it with their will. This makes it easier for the Executor. Even if a new form is required at that time, they still have the relevant info in their hands.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Many folks fill out the F5 and keep it with their will. This makes it easier for the Executor. Even if a new form is required at that time, they still have the relevant info in their hands.
View Quote
That sounds like a great idea. I'm at the point where I need to make a will soon and I think I'll do that for my individual registered NFA. Most of my items are in a single member LLC though, not sure how to address that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great idea. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
That is what I am planning to do...or have my son do it.  Planning an instruction package for him.

Will also add to my will

Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If the NFA item is filed as an individual who dies, where does it physically reside while the Form 5 is being processed?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If the NFA item is filed as an individual who dies, where does it physically reside while the Form 5 is being processed?
View Quote
Usually with the Executor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there any reason you can't just use the Trust's assignment of property and add it to your Trust?  For NFA transfer & ownership purposes it may not change anything, but it should take the place of a will and avoid probate.

In my Schedule A I could then group trust owned vs. individually assigned items and call out the differences in transfer post death.

My Trust is only individual but I would like to avoid the extra long waits that seem to accompany trusts these days...
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there any reason you can't just use the Trust's assignment of property and add it to your Trust?  For NFA transfer & ownership purposes it may not change anything, but it should take the place of a will and avoid probate.

In my Schedule A I could then group trust owned vs. individually assigned items and call out the differences in transfer post death.

My Trust is only individual but I would like to avoid the extra long waits that seem to accompany trusts these days...
View Quote
Assigning your personal NFA items to your trust is a transfer, and requires another $200 tax per item, plus the paperwork submission and wait time, although you still personally own it and can still use it during the wait for the transfer to the trust to complete.

If you're asking can you use your trust as a combination trust and will, for disbursing both trust and non-trust items? I don't think so, but don't know for sure, and that might vary from state to state. Why not just use a regular will for your non-trust items?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Why not will any items transfered as individual items to your trust?  As long as the will was up to date, couldn't the executor Form 5 the items into the trust?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why not will any items transfered as individual items to your trust?  As long as the will was up to date, couldn't the executor Form 5 the items into the trust?
View Quote
That'd be getting into multi-generational ("dynasty") trusts, and potentially running into state laws about perpetuities and how trusts must be structured in order to qualify as heirs. Definitely something to clear with an estate lawyer familiar with the state's laws under which the trust was formed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

hmm....
View Quote
Yep that’s all you have to do. I I uasually get the removal notarized.  And when I add a person notarized.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep that’s all you have to do. I I uasually get the removal notarized.  And when I add a person notarized.
View Quote
Don't you then have to take back in to possession all off the NFA items the may actually be for the other members of the trust?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#24]
You could duplicate the language of your old trust and create a new trust with you as grantor and sole trustee and wife as beneficiary.  Then it's just your prints and photo.  Some trusts are clearing in 9 months whereas individual are 5-6 months.  For an SBR virgin build that you can test as a pistol the extra 3 months may not be a concern and you can modify the new trust after approval.  Or if trust has no benefits for new SBR then the Form 5 advice you are getting takes care of your concerns.  Silencershop has single shot Form 1 trusts pretty cheap as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top