Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2020 10:06:14 AM EDT
Ive been saving my pennies for a few years and Im just about ready to commit

I feel my bucks are either going to go to TNVC or JRH due to the warranties they offer as well as being site sponsors.

As far as specs go, I dont really understand all that too much. I know my tapping out number is right around 8k so it seems like some green tubes are the way to go. I just dont feel I can honestly justify the few k more for some WP tubes. But I certainly want to buy the best for my money as I want these to last atleast a decade. Ive played with some WP and honestly it didnt blow me away like I anticipated, that said I have no idea on the tube specs. All I could do was compare it to my circa 2012 PVS14.

But man theres some really different options out there. From the DNVG to the RNVG all the way to the MOD3.

I love the fact that the RNVG is aluminum because I beat things up pretty easily. I also love the MOD3 can come apart to throw my fiancée or friend a tube to play with. As mentioned above I do have a PVS14 currently, but I was thinking of maybe selling it to offset the costs, but maybe not too.

Then there are the DNVG that have the swing away feature. I personally dont feel I would use that feature a ton, but hey others with dual NODs say its an important feature.

It leaves me with a lot to digest. Especially considering the price of these things not to mention the fact that I cant really try them all out first either. I feel I gravitate towards the RNVG the most, but as mentioned I see pros to the other duals out there as well.

So what should I do? I really want to end up being satisfied with my purchase and not have any lingering thoughts of if I should have rolled with a different option
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
We can currently get you into a White Phosphor high performance grade BNVD for less than the amount you stated. Manual gain control, autogated, full featured unit with individual channel (tube) shutoff when one tube is rolled up to the side (or both) and when it's flipped up in a helmet mount. 

Built in an ISO9001 certified factory, the originator of the 10 year warranty. And you won't be charged until it's ready to ship. Currently a little backed up on BNVDs but it's getting a little better right now, either way, your not out a penny till it's on it's way to you. 

Feel free to give me a call, PM or email with any questions. 
Thanks
Robert
View Quote

Interesting!

Well if that's the case then maybe some WP tubes are for me!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:
Something on the horizon from Night Goggles that will knock your socks off.
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BlackPeterbilt:

Go on...
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Mums the word. And I dont mean MUM-14's, those things will give your kids autism.
View Quote

Time is on my side on this one

Im wanting to pull the trigger by the end of the year certainly. Would be nice to have it during the end of summer/fall to get some real use out of them however but that's not how it has to go down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
So on the MOD3 through TNVC. Does that price include the complete system ready to break apart or is those single tube power supplies extra?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
We can currently get you into a White Phosphor high performance grade BNVD for less than the amount you stated. Manual gain control, autogated, full featured unit with individual channel (tube) shutoff when one tube is rolled up to the side (or both) and when it's flipped up in a helmet mount. 

Built in an ISO9001 certified factory, the originator of the 10 year warranty. And you won't be charged until it's ready to ship. Currently a little backed up on BNVDs but it's getting a little better right now, either way, your not out a penny till it's on it's way to you. 

Feel free to give me a call, PM or email with any questions. 
Thanks
Robert
View Quote

Always good info Robert. What is the current lead time on a setup like that, out of curiosity?

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mashir:

Always good info Robert. What is the current lead time on a setup like that, out of curiosity?

View Quote

Not Robert, but I ordered through him. Im at 5 weeks and two days for my BNVD-SG High performance+ white order.  When I inquired with NV Devices, after seeing an email they sent another customer who wanted to put in a new order, they told me they should be able to ship the unit by the end of this week which would be a little under 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NighthawkCx:

Not Robert, but I ordered through him. Im at 5 weeks and two days for my BNVD-SG High performance+ white order.  When I inquired with NV Devices, after seeing an email they sent another customer who wanted to put in a new order, they told me they should be able to ship the unit by the end of this week which would be a little under 6 weeks.
View Quote

I'm at 4 weeks, 5 days for the same order.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By chase45:
So on the MOD3 through TNVC. Does that price include the complete system ready to break apart or is those single tube power supplies extra?
View Quote

Mod-3s ordered as a set come with the bridge and two single tube battery compartments.

I got Mod-3s because I have too many friends without NODs and I was tired of playing in the dark alone.  If you're not ever going to separate them I'd get one of the more traditional binos.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
BNVDs for $6900 currently from Robert seems pretty legit.

On a side note I’ll sell you my RNVGs so I can buy those BNVDs
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like the WP BNVDS from JRH obviously exceeds your criteria and you'll be saving money to boot, but do your homework, compare price, specs, features and I'm sure you'll come to easy decision between all the systems mentioned from both vendors.

For me the Mod3B are to heavy and after 5 mins of use my neck starts to hurt. The RNVGs are extremely durable and you'll probably damage tube from a drop before the housing will break and I wish they still had the AA battery model, but they where having issues so the CR123 is the only option for an on board battery. In the future I plan to build a RNVG, but for now the BNVD checked all of my boxes of requirements.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
You can get a high spec Elbit WP RNVG for $7500 or less.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
So what sorta specs should I be expecting for my budget of around 8K?

I think Im on board with the thin filmed WP
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm right there with you chase.

since the start of the year ive been putting money back but this whole pandemic has set me back so by the end of summer I should be around to popping the trigger (aiming to have 9k total to spend).
I really like RNVG's because they are tough, and BNVD's look cool. But the more I think about it the more I dont know.

I am still leaning 80% toward RNVG's. Everybody talks about articulation and being able to flip one eye out, but I dont know that I would ever use that?

I cant really think of a situation when I would need to roll one out of the way?
If it's dark, I want to be using both tubes to be able to see. If I roll one out of the way its still going to be dark and im not going to be able to see until my eye adjusts from looking through a WP tube to darkness.

If its light enough to see with one rolled out of the way then why am I looking through nods, for that matter why not just use the PVS14 I already have

If im working in thick brush and woods - where I typically do my "nodding" on my property and need to navigate the tree's and bushes infront of my chances are I would just flip the whole thing up, I would think?
In which case just makes the point of RNVG's even stronger.

then again ive never even looked through dual tubes, so I'm mostly here for the info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By xLucidx:
I'm right there with you chase.

since the start of the year ive been putting money back but this whole pandemic has set me back so by the end of summer I should be around to popping the trigger (aiming to have 9k total to spend).
I really like RNVG's because they are tough, and BNVD's look cool. But the more I think about it the more I dont know.

I am still leaning 80% toward RNVG's. Everybody talks about articulation and being able to flip one eye out, but I dont know that I would ever use that?

I cant really think of a situation when I would need to roll one out of the way?
If it's dark, I want to be using both tubes to be able to see. If I roll one out of the way its still going to be dark and im not going to be able to see until my eye adjusts from looking through a WP tube to darkness.

If its light enough to see with one rolled out of the way then why am I looking through nods, for that matter why not just use the PVS14 I already have 

If im working in thick brush and woods - where I typically do my "nodding" on my property and need to navigate the tree's and bushes infront of my chances are I would just flip the whole thing up, I would think?
In which case just makes the point of RNVG's even stronger. 

then again ive never even looked through dual tubes, so I'm mostly here for the info.
View Quote

Its certainly a ton to digest. I just want to ensure Im satisfied with this large of a purchase with no lingering thoughts of what if this or that

It sounds like we are in a similar spot
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#24]
No doubt about it, the RNVG is the pickup truck of the dual tube NV world, made int he USA, its tougher than anything out there, reliable, actually packs in some desirable features and comes in at an extremely low price point all things considered, and like i mentioned Night Goggles has an ace or two up its sleeves that folks will really dig, i know I liked it. 

I own 2 sets of RNVG's and rent them out at Greenline classes, and as long as you don't absolutely need articulation it is the fixed bridge goggle system to go with, its also pretty lightweight considering its made out of metal.

I prefer a 3v power source in a dual tube system for battery life over AA models. 

View Quote

considering I have never looked through dual tubes, what are some of the reasons people need articulation?

I'm looking for those examples like "well if I didnt have articulation I wouldnt have been able to do this" or would have made it more difficult.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Read this thread about tubes. it talks about thin filmed vs filmless. Page two has some info on his and others opinions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/2728-FOM-Filmless-L3-WP-vs-2698-FOM-Elbit-XLSH-w-pics-and-videos-updated-with-more-pics-/18-511103/

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can get a high spec Elbit WP RNVG for $7500 or less.
View Quote
where at?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By xLucidx:

considering I have never looked through dual tubes, what are some of the reasons people need articulation?

I'm looking for those examples like "well if I didnt have articulation I wouldnt have been able to do this" or would have made it more difficult.
View Quote

I think the articulation feature/benefit is most obvious in vehicles or inside tight areas, etc. vs bumping your stowed fixed goggle into stuff. It's also more comfortable to stow it folded flat or roll them up to your eyebrows if you'll be wearing them for extended periods without taking off your helmet. I thought articulated/rolled up was more comfortable than stowing flat if the helmet is balanced correctly.

Rolling one up to look through a thermal handheld and the little stuff like rolling one up to quickly see/read/etc. unaided instead of leaning your head back and looking under your goggle is also nice.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Well the more I looked at specs and this and that the more I got a headache

Ordered the hp thin film wp through jrh today. So I'm just going to let him take the reins and get me into a good rig spec wise

Thanks for the help from everyone involved.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The power packs are included aswell.
View Quote

RNVGS?

I’m still debating between those And the Act In Blacks.  I have a few more days to figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well the more I looked at specs and this and that the more I got a headache

Ordered the hp thin film wp through jrh today. So I'm just going to let him take the reins and get me into a good rig spec wise

Thanks for the help from everyone involved.

View Quote

BNVDs?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BNVDs?
View Quote

Yep BNVDs. I rolled with the thin filmed hp WPs

Very excited

Robert has been very helpful and a straight up guy
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
TNVC: What's the quicker of the two to build and get to the customer, between the RNVG and the DTNVG? What's the expected wait time?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep BNVDs. I rolled with the thin filmed hp WPs

Very excited

Robert has been very helpful and a straight up guy
View Quote

Those Elbit WP tubes are nice for the price. Good performance per dollar.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Those Elbit WP tubes are nice for the price. Good performance per dollar.
View Quote

I believe Ill be pretty happy.

Im just not sure I could justify the unfilmed although I do see where it is a bit better in the other thread someone linked over.

As long as it kicks my old PVS14s ass(which Im sure it will) Im going to be a really happy guy

May as well leave this thread running and Ill drop what I get when I get it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
TNVC: What's the quicker of the two to build and get to the customer, between the RNVG and the DTNVG? What's the expected wait time?
View Quote

This. I REALLY want a DTNVG with unfilmed tubes but I am very hesitant because of the quoted wait time...
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I believe Ill be pretty happy.

Im just not sure I could justify the unfilmed although I do see where it is a bit better in the other thread someone linked over.

As long as it kicks my old PVS14s ass(which Im sure it will) Im going to be a really happy guy

May as well leave this thread running and Ill drop what I get when I get it.
View Quote

You should be more than happy. Even my new echos kick my old 14s ass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The lead time is not really any different between the two, as what you're really "fighting" against is how many people are in line ahead of you and the build schedule is organized by tube type, not by housing.

Needless to say, we are always working to reduce our lead times, however the "Pandemic Panic" rush has certainly set some of our leads time back further than we'd like them to be, but we are working back through them to get them down again.

FWIW--I would think of it this way:

If they were all the same price, almost everyone would choose UF WP tubes. But they're not, so you need to consider how much the added performance is worth to you. This is basic "Buying Shit 101."

At the same time, say if you're looking at say $7,500 that someone said they could find Elbit TF WP RNVGs (unknown vendor/tube performance standards) for, versus $8,700 for L3Harris MIL-SPEC or better UF WP RNVGs (TNVC, natch), sure, $1,200 could be considered a significant difference in price.

But if you consider the service life of a set of NVGs, even conservatively at 10 years, which at a 10,000 hour MTTF, would require you to use your NV for 2.74 hours per night every single night for ten years, that comes out to an extra $120 a year/$10 mo., less than a Standard Netflix subscription.

Is that worth it to you? Only you can decide that. The answer may be "yes," it may be "no," but it can help to put things into perspective a little bit as well. Ultimately the top of the line UF WP units are going to hold their value best as well if such things are important to you (it's not really to me, but I know it is to some...).

~Augee
View Quote

Interesting...

I am actually interested in a DTNVG with L3 unflimed WP tubes. $7500 or $11k. Cost isn't the issue for me. I'm just a wee bit hesitant to want to park $10k for 18 weeks with no nods.

I am not concerned with cost, tubes, housing or any of that. BUT, if I can get a comparable housing that might not be my first choice and shave 10 weeks or 15 weeks off the lead time AND be a bit cheaper then that gets my attention. That's putting things into perspective in my situation.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This. I REALLY want a DTNVG with unfilmed tubes but I am very hesitant because of the quoted wait time...
View Quote

Ask around at different reputable vendors. I started asking around last Friday and I should have my set here Saturday. Not knocking TNVC because their high demand is for a reason, but there are at least a few other reputable vendors out there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Interesting...

I am actually interested in a DTNVG with L3 unflimed WP tubes. $7500 or $11k. Cost isn't the issue for me. I'm just a wee bit hesitant to want to park $10k for 18 weeks with no nods.

I am not concerned with cost, tubes, housing or any of that. BUT, if I can get a comparable housing that might not be my first choice and shave 10 weeks or 15 weeks off the lead time AND be a bit cheaper then that gets my attention. That's putting things into perspective in my situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting...

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask around at different reputable vendors. I started asking around last Friday and I should have my set here Saturday. Not knocking TNVC because their high demand is for a reason, but there are at least a few other reputable vendors out there.

Some vendors here don't list all the tubes available with their Binos. Making a simple call can save you a lot of time, money, give you a lot of difference options that will fit your requirements and budget.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Interesting...

View Quote

For $7500 I’d wonder if they are 1701 tubes.  Not that that’s bad or anything if you know what you are getting.  But it’s important to make sure it’s an apples to apples comparison as the higher priced ones are likely 18 or 20 tubes

ETA: everyone and their mom needs L3 18 and 20 tubes right now.  If a retailer has a unit in hand, it will sell.  And petty much everyone sells them for materially the same price all things considered.  If someone is offering you something for thousands less than everyone else, that should make you want to research a little more.  What sam said couldn’t be more true
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For $7500 I’d wonder if they are 1701 tubes.  Not that that’s bad or anything if you know what you are getting.  But it’s important to make sure it’s an apples to apples comparison as the higher priced ones are likely 18 or 20 tubes

ETA: everyone and their mom needs L3 18 and 20 tubes right now.  If a retailer has a unit in hand, it will sell.  And petty much everyone sells them for materially the same price all things considered.  If someone is offering you something for thousands less than everyone else, that should make you want to research a little more.  What sam said couldn’t be more true
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...

I was just making a point on cost and what you say reaffirms my thoughts. I can get on tacswap or instagram and find any number of home built setups with a wide variety of tubes and so forth. I’ve had a few and I’ve been pleasantly surprised and also let down. For this purchase I’m going to be working with TNVC as the warranty and transparency and so forth go a long ways with me. We’ve had some interesting developments in the NVG industry as of late and that further guides me back to a known ‘known’. Not the cheapest or fastest but it makes me the most comfortable with that type of spend.

@TNVC_Augee we’ll be in touch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I just received my BNVD-ULs with Elbit WP tubes yesterday, ordered April 10th. I told Robert I wanted SN: 32 or better and 72 lp/mm or better res. I could have asked for more but it likely would have increased my wait time significantly.

Here’s the specs from my two tubes:

Tube 1
SN: 34.4
72 lp/mm
FOM: 2476.8
EBI: 1.26
Halo: 0.69

Tube 2
SN: 33.2
72 lp/mm
FOM: 2390.4
EBI: 0.91

Overall, I’m incredibly happy as these are the best tubes I’ve ever owned, the BNVD-ULs are a fantastic system, and buying from JRH was a great experience.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just received my BNVD-ULs with Elbit WP tubes yesterday, ordered April 10th. I told Robert I wanted SN: 32 or better and 72 lp/mm or better res. I could have asked for more but it likely would have increased my wait time significantly.

Here’s the specs from my two tubes:

Tube 1
SN: 34.4
72 lp/mm
FOM: 2476.8
EBI: 1.26

Tube 2
SN: 33.2
72 lp/mm
FOM: 2390.4
EBI: 0.91

Overall, I’m incredibly happy as these are the best tubes I’ve ever owned, the BNVD-ULs are a fantastic system, and buying from JRH was a great experience.
View Quote

Nice!

Are those WHP+ spec?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top