Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 6:42:58 PM EDT
I just loaded up a 100 rounds using 62 grain bullets.

I did notice that it doesn't meter as consistently as the H335 I've been using.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I have never used it. But I do remember seeing it listed in virtually EVERY single article on reloading the AR15, almost every listing of Rifle Match results in Rifleshooter magazine and other sources, and just about every loading manual I have ever owned.

As to metering issues, can't say. Match loads get weighted individually, practice/blaster loads get thrown with every tenth round scale verified.

I have had TERRIFIC success with H322 and 68-69 grain bullets in my A2, 20 inch Armalite National Match rifle back in my CMP/DCM days. It was sub MOA (1.25-1.75 inch at 200 yds.) IIRC the load was somewhere around 20-23 grains. DO NOT USE THIS LOAD without first verifying it via your load manuals PLEASE.

Lastly, I can think of zero reasons BLC-2 wouldn't work for you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I can think of zero reasons BLC-2 wouldn't work for you.
View Quote
Me either. I just never it used it before.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
BLc-2 is good stuff. Work up loads when it's a bit warmer out, not when it's 30-40 above. Then you're good for winter and summer.

I used to burn lots of it, smokin velocities, accurate, but it's temp sensitive like most ball powders.

Measures great. 62gr and over is fine. I used to get my highest velocity with it. Seems like the hotter you load em the better it shoots.

Watch it on hot days if your loads are warm in cooler temps.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Worked well for me with SS109s.

Haven't shot any across the chrono but accuracy was good, meters well, no complaints at all really. Have read of temp sensitivity, I wasn't pushing limits and didn't notice any I'll effects winter or summer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Its all I could find during the shortage when I started loading and Ive stuck with it with decent results. It meters pretty good in the Hornaday at +/- 0.1 for me consistently.  Both below were shot at a bench on bags. These were before I had a chrony so no data there to support it. Its temp sensitive so watch your loads in the heat, I understand it can get pretty sketchy quickly pushing max loads.

18" BA barrel @100 yds, 3x9 nikon
20 round groups
55 gn Everglades FMJ V2
Either 24.5 or 25.5 grains  (Im not sure which of the 2 loads I use shot this).
Attachment Attached File

16" Colt LE 6920 @ 50 yards, 3x Vortex
5 round group, load work up
Barnes 62 gn TTSX
(1) 23.0 start, (5) 25.5 max, 0.5 increments
Attachment Attached File

I have a bunch of Everglades 68gn BTHPs that I loaded at 25.5 with okay results but no target to show. I tried some 77 SMKs with not so stellar results although I saw 2700+ fps with no barss issues. Finally found some 8208 XBR locally and trying again this weekend on those.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BLc-2 is good stuff. Work up loads when it's a bit warmer out, not when it's 30-40 above. Then you're good for winter and summer.

I used to burn lots of it, smokin velocities, accurate, but it's temp sensitive like most ball powders.

Measures great. 62gr and over is fine. I used to get my highest velocity with it. Seems like the hotter you load em the better it shoots.

Watch it on hot days if your loads are warm in cooler temps.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Some days I reload a lot of .223 (a lot for me).

I use IMR4198 & BLC 2 the most.  Those, so far, of all the powders I've used, I get the best groups from those two.  I have used some H335 and TAC (and several others were tried).

I've loaded up to 400 rounds in an afternoon.  I use a scale to weigh check one of every ten powder charges dropped through my RCBS Uniflow powder measure.

With BLC2 I'll see as many as 10 of the 40 checked (when I load 400 rounds) that will be as much as 0.1 grains off.

With H335 I won't see a single charge off by 0.1 grains.  Wild.

Too bad the BLC 2 groups are smaller.  But, evidently, that occasional 0.1 grains off doesn't hurt the groups in comparison to H335.

The IMR4198?  I run every charge through my Hornady electronic powder measure scale.  The Uniflow will "randomly" drop the charge I want so I don't use it for IMR4198.  It has been my go to powder since 1981 for .223, but once my current 8 lb. jug is gone, I'll be switching to BLC2.

I live in central VA and I don't leave guns lay out in the summer sun, so I've not noticed a pressure increase sign when shooting BLC2.  Then again, I load for small groups, not maximum velocity, so I never run maximum loads anyway.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmm I don't use BLC-2 for 223, because of the history of this power with this cartridge in the ar-15. Am I wrong? Please let me know if I am missing the boat hear. But what I had always learned was.

BLC-2 is the canister version of WC846 that the military used in 7.62 nato, when the M-16 came out (it was originally designed and tested with a stick powder similar to 3031). They found loading the stick powder on large scale to be a PITA and found that WC846 worked great in testing. And awesome, same power works great in both main cartridges in service, plus they had tons of it. So right as the M-16 was starting to go into service in Vietnam, they switched to loading the ammo for it with WC846 (aka BLC-2). That was when the M-16 started choking and wouldn't run right, jamming up, all kinds of problems.

In investigating why there was so many reports of problems with the new rifle from the field, the military realized that the problem was ammo related. And traced the troubles to WC846, it uses Calcium Chloride (not 100% sure it was choride, because that just doesn't seem right, maybe carbonate? Can't remember that). But it left behind more fouling, and it was a hard fouling residue, in a already really tight chamber, plus left more residue in the gas tube. To fix the problem WC844 was developed aka H335.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BLC2 and H-335 are both ball powders and measure exactly the same.

You did/didn't do something different with the BLC2. My guess is you didn't settle the powder in the PM before throwing charges.

I used BLC2 for years in 223, then Tac came along and I switched.

Next time you buy powder try Tac and AR Comp.
View Quote
Maybe. It didn't meter bad but some charges were .2( two tenths) of one  grain over where I wanted it. H335 is pretty much dead on 99% of the time.

I'll have to check out Tac.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
BCL2 has a reputation as a dirty powder,but some AR's really like it.

Switched to TAC (runs great in Dillon !!)

Varget - Very accurate but does not measure as well as TAC for me !!!

Later

John
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Works good but I had better results with CFE223
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
BLC-2, W748, H335, TAC, and X-terminator have been my go to powders for 5.56 for a very long time.  All of them work fine, and meter fine.  H335 is the dirtiest of the bunch, and usually I get best velocity from W748.  With that said, I load down a bit from max charges, so none of the powders have ever caused any issues for me.  I find best accuracy a grain or three down from max.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only burned a pound of it for testing and what not.
If memory serves, I got very good results at max load with 55gr vmax.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hmmmm I don't use BLC-2 for 223, because of the history of this power with this cartridge in the ar-15. Am I wrong? Please let me know if I am missing the boat hear. But what I had always learned was.

BLC-2 is the canister version of WC846 that the military used in 7.62 nato, when the M-16 came out (it was originally designed and tested with a stick powder similar to 3031). They found loading the stick powder on large scale to be a PITA and found that WC846 worked great in testing. And awesome, same power works great in both main cartridges in service, plus they had tons of it. So right as the M-16 was starting to go into service in Vietnam, they switched to loading the ammo for it with WC846 (aka BLC-2). That was when the M-16 started choking and wouldn't run right, jamming up, all kinds of problems.

In investigating why there was so many reports of problems with the new rifle from the field, the military realized that the problem was ammo related. And traced the troubles to WC846, it uses Calcium Chloride (not 100% sure it was choride, because that just doesn't seem right, maybe carbonate? Can't remember that). But it left behind more fouling, and it was a hard fouling residue, in a already really tight chamber, plus left more residue in the gas tube. To fix the problem WC844 was developed aka H335.
View Quote
Well yes and no.

While the ball powder did leave more fouling the real problem was with the early M16s was no chrome lining in the chamber and no cleaning kits or even instructions to clean the rifle.

After those two problems were addressed the M16 became the "Sweet 16"

I've personally used a few pounds of WC-846 with excellent results in several ARs. The next chance I had to buy surplus though I chose WC-844 because I was also feeding a M1A and it seemed a better choice.

I've been having excellent results with the WC-844 as well in both and also with 150s in the M1 Garand.

Just as a side note. If you use WC-844/H-335 in the 06' (Hornady Garand specific data) I suggest using a magnum primer.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#16]
BLC2 and CFE223 are next to each other on the burn chart.

I think CFE 223 is BLC2 with bismuth to control copper. The bismuth forms with copper in the barrel to make bismuth bronze, which is easily removed from cleaning and minimizes copper from attaching to the steel inside the barrel.

105-106

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The choking/ lockup issue was resolved through tweaking of the buffer design /weight.  From what I read, the pressure curve was faster with the ball propellant, and it affected the timing of unlocking the bolt.

I've been using BLC2  since I began reloading in '96, and it has worked reliably since.  For accurate loads I've been using 3031, however I bought some Varget to try.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think CFE 223 is BLC2 with bismuth to control copper. The bismuth forms with copper in the barrel to make bismuth bronze, which is easily removed from cleaning and minimizes copper from attaching to the steel inside the barrel.

105-106

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/8C615622-CCEC-4EF7-9C55-2DEF1C2797B2_jpeg-808526.JPG
View Quote
Maybe, who knows.

I know one thing, blc-2, CFE 223 and Leverevolution all get bullets to fly at top velocity in most of rifles.

Leverevolution is catching on with lots of calibers besides lever gun cartridges. You just haven't heard about it yet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe, who knows.

I know one thing, blc-2, CFE 223 and Leverevolution all get bullets to fly at top velocity in most of rifles.

Leverevolution is catching on with lots of calibers besides lever gun cartridges. You just haven't heard about it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

105-106

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/8C615622-CCEC-4EF7-9C55-2DEF1C2797B2_jpeg-808526.JPG
Maybe, who knows.

I like CFE223, been using it for a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Max book charge of BLC2 and Hornady 55 grain soft points is my general purpose .223 load. Works well in most guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Good to know guys. Thanks for the education, sounds like it was a whole combo or things, and not just the powder. Sounds like I have been missing the boat not even trying it in 223. I know it's worked great for me in 308.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top