Posted: 7/31/2021 9:45:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
That isn’t exactly an Omega.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Omegas can be pretty good performers. However, IMO, they take far more tinkering to achieve max efficiency (which I don't see those being anywhere near). I don't see a reason (other than desired OD) to use anything but an XRT package, for 22. I say this w/o knowing every available option.

For 9mm, radials and cones are great. If you could get Omegas for half the price, they'd be worth it. But, having to slowly work up to desired performance vs simply clipping a cone or radial, is hard to justify (for an F1 design).

ETA: If infringing on someone's IP is of any importance to you, I don't think the Omega patent has expired yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m still very early in my form 1 research process, but I like how those baffles create an external chamber and vent to/from it.  I believe the DA Nomads do something like that too.
Is that typical of many designs?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry, do I need to re-word the title to something like “Any thoughts on these cones that the guy who made this video referred to as Omega baffles (but I dunno, he may have gotten it wrong)”?

Would that be sufficient to get what I was looking for, which is thoughts on the baffles?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That isn’t exactly an Omega.

Sorry, do I need to re-word the title to something like “Any thoughts on these cones that the guy who made this video referred to as Omega baffles (but I dunno, he may have gotten it wrong)”?

Would that be sufficient to get what I was looking for, which is thoughts on the baffles?

Sorry, I missed/ignored the quotes on “Omegas”. It’s hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it is missing the annular port opposite the clip that is already on the tip of the cone.  That would be easy to add.  But those ports on the face of the “hat brim” also dump pressure into the annular space. As long as those don’t interfere with cross jetting I think the addition of a vent that allows the clip cross jet would make those work well enough.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m still very early in my form 1 research process, but I like how those baffles create an external chamber and vent to/from it.  I believe the DA Nomads do something like that too.
Is that typical of many designs?
View Quote

It’s not common, but with 3-D printing that could change.  In a rimfire such as a Gen 1 SWR Spectre it has the same issue as an unshrouded k-baffle: frequent cleaning is needed to remove the stack.  So the Gen 2 user serviceable went to click together cups.   As soon as user serviceable cans became desirable the user needed a semi-sealed interface to the tube interior.  The Omega is stronger than a K-baffle as it creates a column reinforcement near the edge of baffle face. Cups move the column to the tube interface and semi-seal the tube, but don’t create an annulus. Shrouded Ks have that same column stack at the tube ID.

Dead zones in a sealed can make in situ cleaning harder.  Individual user mileage varies. Most of us can’t afford to plug up a sealed centerfire suppressor anyway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can machine them yourself, omegas do work well. I have them in a .17hmr build I have done as well as a 9mm subgun build and both work great.

I built mine from a drawing with measured dimensions filled in i found on silencerforums years ago, and scaled up for the 9mm version.

The general shape of that cone is similar, but the porting and clipping is not "right"
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
A little off topic, but can someone post pics/drawings of what makes an Omega baffle an Omega baffle?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A little off topic, but can someone post pics/drawings of what makes an Omega baffle an Omega baffle?
View Quote

Here is a link to Gaddini's Patent.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:Here is a link to Gaddini's Patent.
View Quote

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top