Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2022 6:54:06 PM EDT
I've always wanted a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45ACP and finally got my hands on one today.

I'm not finding much info via google but:

Mine doesn't have a manual bolt hold-open but the instruction manual I downloaded refers to one.  

The stock does not have the pressed checkering I see on some of them.

Also, the front sight base is clearly grooved for a hood which is missing  Was a cut-away, open hood always used?

Were there different generations or just differences between the Camp 9 and the Camp 45?

ETA: Despite installing the Power Customs 21# spring and new buffer I ended up with a cracked stock on my third time shooting it.  It really sucks to dream about owning something for years, finally getting one, and then regretting it.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice find. Now if the price of .45 would come back down to planet earth. I miss the .19 per round days
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother has one. Cool gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice find. Now if the price of .45 would come back down to planet earth. I miss the .19 per round days
View Quote

Damn.  The best I remember in my lifetime was $11.00 for a box for Remington Ball.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice. Rare gun .Guys at my clubs pistol caliber carbine plateshoots like them quite a bit

Not any kind of expert but common advise is to only run it with a newish bolt buffer. Older buffers tend to get hard and fall apart then the bolt batters the reiciever.

A quick google shows me that Power Custom makes the buffers , both Brownells and Midway are listed as suppliers , hope somebody has them in stock for you
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That’s a nice find for a great weapon. I always wanted one in 10mm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice! A buddy has one, wish I did.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice. Rare gun .Guys at my clubs pistol caliber carbine plateshoots like them quite a bit

Not any kind of expert but common advise is to only run it with a newish bolt buffer. Older buffers tend to get hard and fall apart then the bolt batters the reiciever.

A quick google shows me that Power Custom makes the buffers , both Brownells and Midway are listed as suppliers , hope somebody has them in stock for you
View Quote

Yup.  Already ordered a new buffer and 21lb. spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as the buffer is OK that’s fine. When you take it down you will see what Mickey Mouse innards it has.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn.  The best I remember in my lifetime was $11.00 for a box for Remington Ball.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the Winchester white box. $19 for a hundred rounds. I still have a bunch that I use.

Back when I was shooting 5 days a week I would shop at Walmart and use a shopping cart for ammo.  I could literally shoot a bullseye out with my 1911. The last hanger would take the most shots.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Crap, I could have had 3 of those in place of my Macon Armory 45DI.
But then I wouldn't have all the joy of trying to correct the DI's issues  
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Crap, I could have had 3 of those in place of my Macon Armory 45DI.
But then I wouldn't have all the joy of trying to correct the DI's issues  
View Quote

I have one of Rudy’s uppers, too.  Mine works great.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to have one in 9, and 45. Great rifles. The things bump fired with the rate of a mac-11 it was insane.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to have 3. Sold and traded the extras to close gun friends. Had 5 over time. I'm down to 1 and even comes with a Marlin marked 1911 mag!

Has a Russian made scope with German post reticle. Have banged 8 out of 8X a 10ninch plate at 200yds with it standing offhand with my reloads

I installed the buffer and spring upgrade on all of them

And a 9mm that won't fire. Haven't tore it down to see what the issue is. Buffer has turned to powder and stock is cracked. Have a Choate tacticool stock waiting on the side
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
If you shoot it with the white factory buffer (they’re ALL crumbled by now) it will crack the wood stock. As has been stated buy a new buffer and a 21 lb spring from wolff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you shoot it with the white factory buffer (they’re ALL crumbled by now) it will crack the wood stock. As has been stated buy a new buffer and a 21 lb spring from wolff.
View Quote

I took it apart and cleaned it today.  Buffer is black and intact but I could see where the bolt was impacting it.  I have a peplacementvand 21 pound spring on the way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone ever make an extended magazine release for these things?  Is there a cheap mod?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Buffer and spring mods, check.

They came with front sight hoods but not a big deal if missing.  

The mag safety is a piece of sheet steel that can peen and hang up the trigger.

Do not use strong solvents like gun scrubber on the mag well!!   The plastic easily melts with certain solvents.  

Great handy rifle but the trigger will always be marginal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I got the new buffer and spring that I ordered and installed them today.  New replacement buffer from powercustoms.com on the left.

New, 21 lb. spring on the left, also from Randall Power.  Old spring on the right.  

Since I don't know what OEM stuff looks like I don't know if the old buffer or spring in this gun were original or when they were replaced or anything.  If they were original, they would be 30+ years old.  I can say that the new stuff went in easily; the spring is so stiff I thought, at first, I had re-assembled the gun incorrectly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
It's been some decades since I owned a Camp 45 (which I stupidly sold). Marlin made at least 2 generations of these PCCs. In the first generation (the one I had), you pull the bolt back and push the charging handle in (to the left) to lock the bolt open. Mine also had no checkering; dunno if that's a Camp 45 (vs. Camp 9) thing or a 1st generation thing. It also had the open hood on the front sight, which got lost and was never replaced. I believe any of the Marlin open hoods will work, if you want to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you activate the bolt hold open through the magwell? We had one as a kid and I vaguely remember being able to do it that way but might be thinking of another gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Enjoy, OP.  Gave my buddy one decades ago.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I had both the .45 and 9mm versions years ago.

Be aware that the carbine is lethal in two directions: from the muzzle AND 90 degrees to starboard.  The brass ejects with what can nicely be called "vigor".

I used to joke that the brass went farther than the bullet!  They are very accurate in spite of the meh trigger pull, but be careful with the plastic magazine well/internal assembly "receiver".  They are made with a type of plastic that is highly allergic to some gun solvents.

Get an extra buffer for it and swap it out long before you think you should.

My .45 really shot 200gr H&G 68 semi-wadcutters well.  I used to cast my own as I was...am...a cheap bastard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you activate the bolt hold open through the magwell? We had one as a kid and I vaguely remember being able to do it that way but might be thinking of another gun.
View Quote

Yes, I just tried it.  But, the 21# spring is so stiff I'm fearful the bolt might take a digit off if I slip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Replaced the bolt stop spring with a replacement from Numrich.  They call it "new" but, I don't know if you can tell from the picture, new one on the left, but it has a coating of surface rust.  Kind of disappointed.  I kept the old one just in case and will search for a better replacement.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:...you pull the bolt back and push the charging handle in (to the left) to lock the bolt open.
View Quote

The gun feels like it wants to do that, there's movement in the charging handle and it sort of catches, but it won't stay.

@PigBat

ETA: I took a close look and you are correct.  The charging handle has a tab on it and the receiver has a hole that looks like it is intended to receive the tab.  However, on my example the tab on the charging handle is pretty rounded off.  That's probably unavoidable with this set-up and probably why Marlin went to the newer model with the bolt hold open "button."

In these pics the front of both the tab and the hole are to the left.

Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The gun feels like it wants to do that, there's movement in the charging handle and it sort of catches, but it won't stay.

@PigBat

ETA: I took a close look and you are correct.  The charging handle has a tab on it and the receiver has a hole that looks like it is intended to receive the tab.  However, on my example the tab on the charging handle is pretty rounded off.  That's probably unavoidable with this set-up and probably why Marlin went to the newer model with the bolt hold open "button."

In these pics the front of both the tab and the hole are to the left.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51961056761_7643819ae3_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51961348759_c753c62434_z.jpg
View Quote

Unless you can find an unbuggered old-style charging handle, I'd be tempted to buy a new style CH from Numrich, drill and tap a hole, and locktite an appropriately-sized allen-head cap screw in there. I would suggest welding in a stud, but then it, too would get rounded off. You can replace a cap screw.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Ha, ha.  Joke's on me.  TLDR - The spring-loaded feed ramp can be installed incorrectly and render the gun inoperative.

I replaced the springs and buffer, cleaned, and function-checked the gun and went to the range today to fire it for the first time.  Gun would not chamber a round.  Not one.  I left after five minutes; maybe the shortest range trip of all time.

Got it corrected now.  ETA: I think.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If I remember right, the 9mm version will take s&w mags
I seem to remember that the 20 round 5906 mag made
by MecGar was popular

Also do not shoot blazer aluminum cased ammo in them
The case will separate about half way up the case and leave
a nice aluminum ring in the chamber
It’s a bitch to dig out
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#29]
My camp-9 had an open front sight hood to allow light into the fluorescent color orange sight blade IIRC  the opening was a hole in the hood.
I had a 9mm that took model 59 S&W magazines. I traded it for a Springfield 1911 to another arfcommer. It was a nice rifle, very accurate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to have a 9 and a 45. Alas both long gone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#31]
ETA: Despite installing the Power Customs 21# spring and new buffer I ended up with a cracked stock on my third time shooting it.  It really sucks to dream about owning something for years, finally getting one, and then regretting it.  I am massively disappointed right now.

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#32]
There's always the Muzzleite stock, or a HiPoint carbine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#33]
What I don't get is that this is used gun.  Obviously well-used judging from its condition.  But the stock was in one piece up until now.  Why, after replacing the spring and buffer as recommended, why did the stock break now?!  I was shooting boring Remington green box, 230gn ball.  Nothing fancy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#34]
B/c it's a 30 yrs old dry stock and Marlin crammed a .45 into a .22 WMR length blowback action.  Sorry, man.

See if Choate has a polymer replacement?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Midway has folders for $115.  Wondering if, instead of sinking another $115 in to this maybe, I should just sell it at a $115 loss.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#36]
All kinds of things can happen. Wood can shrink and dry out. Gun can be loose in the stock. Might try some DIY stock repair. I'm sure you could find someone to buy it with the stock cracked.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#37]
The only thing I know about the camp carbine is that RUGER NEEDS TO BRING THEM BACK!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  The only thing I know about the camp carbine is that RUGER NEEDS TO BRING THEM BACK!!!!
View Quote

Not in original form.  The bolt was too light, travel too short - hence OP's issue.  The 9x19mm doesn't suppress well, either.  And Ruger's already got a 9x19mm takedown carbine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not in original form.  The bolt was too light, travel too short - hence OP's issue.  The 9x19mm doesn't suppress well, either.  And Ruger's already got a 9x19mm takedown carbine.
View Quote

Ruger should make a carbine in .45ACP and include mag wells that allow the user to choose between Glock and 1911 magazines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  Ruger should make a carbine in .45ACP and include mag wells that allow the user to choose between Glock and 1911 magazines.
View Quote

Or for less than the cost of a replacement stock for your Marlin you could buy a HiPoint .45 carbine & convert it to run on 1911 mags w/ a $30 brass mag catch made by Thingmeister.  Ugly, but works better than your Marlin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Or for less than the cost of a replacement stock for your Marlin you could buy a HiPoint .45 carbine & convert it to run on 1911 mags w/ a $30 brass mag catch made by Thingmeister.  Ugly, but works better than your Marlin.
View Quote

Not only that, new HP carbines also have their barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Man I hate that for you!!  I would think with all the upgrades you have done, you might give the replacement stock a chance.  Should be able to get the money back out of it if it doesn't work out.

Also wish Ruger would re-release the deerfield carbine.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I have owned two Camp Carbines, both 9mm. One "Gen 1" and the second a "Gen 2". I have not owned a .45 version, they are harder to find.

The Camp was a nice gun in its day but times moved on. I have heard that Marlin marketed these to LE units as companions to there service pistons. That is likely why the .45 used the Colt mag and the 9mm  used the (then) common S&W 59 magazines.

The stocks came both in the plain and the "checked" versions. I had a spare stock with the checking in perfect shape but last  years I sold off all my last Marlin Camp carbine and all my spare parts and stocks. You can find new aftermarket stocks for this firearm. You can also repair the cracked stock with some luck.

I still have some new Metgar S&W 59 model magazines sitting in a box. Maybe someday I will get them out and list them.

Rule #1:   Keep a good buffer in that rifle....
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  I still have some new Metgar S&W 59 model magazines sitting in a box. Maybe someday I will get them out and list them.
View Quote

Getcha a SUB-2000 and choot em.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Midway has folders for $115.  Wondering if, instead of sinking another $115 in to this maybe, I should just sell it at a $115 loss.
View Quote

That thing would be ‘90s cool with that Choate folder.

You could also repair that stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

How old are you, 100?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How old are you, 100?
View Quote

LOL.  I was reloading .45 for $0.05/round about 25 years ago.  I think I was paying about $10 a box for factory .45 at the time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How old are you, 100?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old are you, 100?

It wasn’t but probably 15 or so years ago that Walmart sold Winchester White Box for $9.99/100 for 9mm, 14.99/100 for 40SW and $19.99/100 for 45 fmj.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I've always wanted a .45 acp carbine and considered Marlin's Camp Carbines a few , but they were hard to find and expensive when I did find them. However, upon searching for a .45 acp "carbine" again, most were cost prohibitive, CMMG Banshee, KRISS, LWRC, H&K USC all were $1,500+. I came across Pro2A Tactical who offers a .45 acp straight blow-back AR in various configurations that take Glock mags. I had a slight issue in the beginning but now it runs like a scalded dog and pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you repair it (so that it won’t just break again)?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top