Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2020 1:05:44 PM EDT
I know I’m looking to get into reloading at maybe the worst possible time in history. I guess it’s better late than never.

Wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction.  I know very little about reloading and have no equipment. I want to know what the best press would be to reload the following ammo:

For sure
-300 Blackout
-6.5 Grendel

Maybe
-9mm
-30-30

-The “for sure” category is mostly for hunting (50-200 yards) and I don’t need to do precision loads.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A good cast iron frame single stage press is a good starter that will last you for several decades.
RCBS
Redding
Lyman
Lee

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
There are links at the top of the forum to help you out.

Single stage press is a good place to start

Any of the presses listed in the prior post will work.  I would add Hornday to the list.

You need a scale.  The sub $20 digital crack dealer scale on amazon will meet your needs

You need some calipers to measure various parts of the case, ammo.

Dies of your preference

A plan on how to mount your press to a sturdy table/bench

A good reloading book

Way to lube cases

Start there and work your way up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
First you need a book. ABC's of reloading.

With you being in Texas, reach out to some of the locals and maybe they'll let you look at and try some different equipment before you buy. That way you know what you'll want. Maybe they will even mentor you to help get you going.

Then figure out how much ammo you'll shoot during a year.

A couple hundred rounds?
A few thousand rounds?
25000 rounds?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll go through and read the links pinned to the top and maybe the answer is there, but why a single press instead of progressive?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll go through and read the links pinned to the top and maybe the answer is there, but why a single press instead of progressive?
View Quote
You can learn on a progressive but it's more complicated than learning on a single stage.

I started with a single stage Rock Chucker and still have it.

I still use it to size rifle brass, size cast bullets, deprime cases.  Caliber changes are a breeze, 1 die and 1 shell holder.

Can always add a progressive later

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can learn on a progressive but it's more complicated than learning on a single stage.

I still use it to size rifle brass, size cast bullets, deprime cases.  Caliber changes are a breeze, 1 die and 1 shell holder.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll go through and read the links pinned to the top and maybe the answer is there, but why a single press instead of progressive?

This is how I feel too. Single stage was better to learn on, cheaper too. I’m glad I got my RockChucker first.
It’s still a useful tool and does some things better.

Then buy a Dillon progressive... I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. (I’d just add another.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A good cast iron frame single stage press is a good starter that will last you for several decades.
RCBS
Redding
Lyman
Lee
View Quote

Pretty much this, Hornady makes good single stage presses too.  Also get LOTS of reloading manuals, new & old.  A kit can be a good place to start, but eventually you'll decide which pieces from the kit you don't care for & swap them out.  I bought the RCBS kit back in the mid 90's.  After a few times, I swapped out the powder measure for an Lyman which I frankensteined with an earlier Ideal version of the same powder measure.  Never used the press mounted primer arm, got a Lee auto prime (the original kind) right away.  Just this summer finally mothballed the hand powered case trimmer for a powered one from Lyman.  Still use the 505 scale but added an electronic one a while back.  Just like building AR's then upgrading them is an addiction, reloading is or can be similarly addictive.  Don't ever be in a hurry while reloading, especially when priming,  looking up loads, charging & weighing charges as well.  Always run a light over your block when done charging to make sure you didn't miss one, or put a double charge in or if any one just looks different than the others before seating the bullet.  This isn't a hobby where you will get points for showing off or nonchalance while doing it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The RCBS Rebel plus kit looks pretty good and has useful stuff.
Need to add a brass trimmer though.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I would also put out there I think the first company that puts out a "NATO" package reloading kit, with everything included to load 9MM, 223/5.56 & 308/7.62 into a kit including a how to DVD & reloading manual will have a hit on their hands.  Right now due to covid nothing is staying on shelves, but even before that I thought it would sell like hot cakes as when I run into people wanting to start reloading usually at least 2 if not all 3 of those calibers are mentioned as ones they want to start reloading.  Thing is during non shortage times those calibers are the ones that it's hard to load as cheap as you can buy it for (not counting lead casting), but getting started is the big thing anyway & reloading isn't just about saving money on common calibers replicating factory ammo.  Reloading for less common ammo is usually where you save money.  Also being able to load stuff you can't find in a store & dialing in a round for your gun is also worth it IMO.  Not to mention being able to make your own ammo in times like this is a huge plus as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a close look at a Dillon 550.

It is easy to learn with and makes an excellent single stage press because it is manually indexed.  Use it in single stage mode as long as you want.

Then, when YOU are ready, the press can be used in progressive mode.  450 rounds of 9mm in an hour is a good thing - something no single stage will ever achieve.

The 550 will easily load all the rounds you listed and many more.

Caliber conversions are inexpensive and fast.

It has one of the best powder measures on the planet - useful in either single stage or progressive mode.

Dillon dies are some of the best but a 550 will accept all standard dies (7/8"X14TPI).
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I started with a old school Lee Loader and a rubber mallet.  Still have and use them.  My first press was a Lee Classic cast.  Haven't used it in years but wouldn't dare part with it.  I use a T7 now and would recommend people to start with that or the new Lyman 8 hole turret.  

Nothing wrong with starting with a progressive but if you have the space you would still have use for a single stage.  

I would reccomend you determine if you want to be a reloader or a handloader and pick your gear from that standpoint.   Most everything I load is from a relaxing going slow hand loading standpoint. All I need is a single stage but with the turret press I can seat and crimp with only handling the round once.  I used to drop powder through the turret but most times now I drop powder in all rounds in a tray or two and then seat and crimp.  Not much gets crimped for me anymore either.

About the only thing I "reload" (churning out rounds and sometimes viewed as a chore not so much a relaxing hand loading session) is 45 ACP.  If I had the space I would get a SDB Dillon in 45 and just leave it set up to use as needed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take a close look at a Dillon 550.
View Quote

@Trollslayer

Can you insert and remove rounds anywhere on the shell plate in single stage mode?  Seems like that would be a good press to start with either way.  Little more cost up front maybe but for pistol reloading it would pay off in the end.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm currently on the path to learning using this way.

I like the idea of watching and observing exactly what's happening.  

I don't look at a single stage as sunk money because they still have applications in precision loads later and you might have a step that you want to isolate.

It's a good place to start.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Trollslayer

Can you insert and remove rounds anywhere on the shell plate in single stage mode?  Seems like that would be a good press to start with either way.  Little more cost up front maybe but for pistol reloading it would pay off in the end.
View Quote

Yes, you can.  There are 4 stations (die locations), each of which can have a cartridge put in or taken out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
First get a reloading manual and read it to learn all the steps to reloading rifle and handgun cartridges.

The ABC's of Reloading was a great suggestion and the first reloading manual (1st printing), I read (from my local library).

Any current reloading manual, albeit Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, Lee, and especially Lyman, should help you learn alot before you make a purchase of your reloading gear.

I have many reloading manuals, including Speer, and Hornady.

Many of the powder manufacturers will sent you their reloading data, if you request it on their website.

Always, use only the published reloading data from powder or bullet manufacturers (manuals or from their website)!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I am kind of working backwards on this one.  I'm trying to buy the components before I buy the equipment (but am going to look at some stuff tomorrow).  Somehow I was able to get my hands on some H110 and have a line on some small rifle primers.  The ABC's of Reloading has been here for about a week but I haven't had a chance to get into it yet.  

Still torn if I should go with a Dillon 550 or start with a simple single stage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am kind of working backwards on this one.  I'm trying to buy the components before I buy the equipment (but am going to look at some stuff tomorrow).  Somehow I was able to get my hands on some H110 and have a line on some small rifle primers.  The ABC's of Reloading has been here for about a week but I haven't had a chance to get into it yet.  

Still torn if I should go with a Dillon 550 or start with a simple single stage.
View Quote

Youll probably always have a use for a single stage. Thats all i have now, if i upgrade it will probably be a 550. Get both?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, where are you, I'm in NW Houston? If you're local to me you can swing by.

PM is fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, where are you, I'm in NW Houston? If you're local to me you can swing by.

PM is fine.
View Quote

Thanks. I’m in DFW but if I ever have to go down south, I might take you up on that offer
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#23]
All that has been stated is good advice.  I got a Lee single stage decades ago and never upgraded, someday may add a Dillion but this works.  Like the Lyman loading manual.  You did good to get powder and some primers, hunt down some dies if you haven't found any yet.  Personally not a fan of digital scales, check around and bet you can find a used balance beam scale for a good price.  I'm out west but sure you can find someone in the Metroplex to help you get started.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Second(or third or more)getting a single stage press to start(I have a Lee cast iron), great for learning then decapping.

I see Dillon product for sale a lot(people are always upgrading!). I have a LNL and don’t recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All that has been stated is good advice.  I got a Lee single stage decades ago and never upgraded, someday may add a Dillion but this works.  Like the Lyman loading manual.  You did good to get powder and some primers, hunt down some dies if you haven't found any yet.  Personally not a fan of digital scales, check around and bet you can find a used balance beam scale for a good price.  I'm out west but sure you can find someone in the Metroplex to help you get started.
View Quote

Where out west?  I’m originally from El Paso and went to college in Abilene.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Here’s what I have so far
-11 pounds of H110
-8 pounds of H335
-1200 small rifle primers
-308 Bullets

Time to start finding equipment
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#27]
@tronco15

Did you say earlier in this thread that you are in the DFW metroplex? If that is the case, I can fix you up with a beam scale. I might also have a newer single stage Lee press that I can give you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Mighty kind of Riggins!  Tronco I'm working in Midland at this time but from Ft.Worth
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I would look at either a Redding T7 turret press or a Dillon 550. The rabbit hole is deep!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

What can you afford and what can you find?

Personally, I’d go Dillon 550 if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#33]
@riggins

For some reason, I don’t think my messages are being sent on here. You should have my cell phone and that might be best to communicate
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#34]
@tronco15

That is weird. I thought I had got them all and replied to them. I found the Lee single stage today. I will bring it and the Lyman M5 to work with me tomorrow. I’ll txt you in the morning so we can meet up and I can get them to you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]
@riggins

I sent three this morning and not sure you got any of them. Talk to you tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I’m making progress with things. Ill be picking up a bench this weekend and will make some additions so that it’ll resemble the 2nd bench.

I’m thinking of adding a 1-inch thick slab of wood to the top to make it a little more robust. What are your thoughts? Should I also add a clear protective finish to the top layer?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#38]
You can screw the bench to the wall to sturdy it up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Get a nice butcher block top. Seal and stain your bench. Go ahead and drill, or precision cut  some holes for power cords

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got most of what I need except a set of 6.5 Grendel dies.  I'm leaning towards a Hornady die set but will I have any issues with compatibility with an RCBS shell holder?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quick update...

I’ve continued to purchase things here and there, while trying to avoid paying a premium on some items. So far I have SRP’s, a couple of different powders, brass and projectiles. I’m still waiting on a Hornady Shell Holder Kit to be shipped to me.

Here is where I would like some input...

I’m probably going to purchase a powder dispenser (leaning towards an RCBS Chargemaster Lite) and need something for case prepping & trimming. I’m open to any suggestions. Would like to pay less than $500 for everything if possible
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I know I’m looking to get into reloading at maybe the worst possible time in history. I guess it’s better late than never.

Wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction.  I know very little about reloading and have no equipment. I want to know what the best press would be to reload the following ammo:

For sure
-300 Blackout
-6.5 Grendel

Maybe
-9mm
-30-30

-The “for sure” category is mostly for hunting (50-200 yards) and I don’t need to do precision loads.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated
View Quote

If I was you, I would NOT buy a damn thing until I had say 5,000 primers in my possession.

Only then would I go about buying a press, a scale, dies, etcetera, etcetera.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I have the primers, press, etc. That’s why I’m asking about the powder dispenser and case prep stuff
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#45]
A good RCBS starter press kit should do you fine..If you want to spend more and update from the start they make upgraded kits as well..Hard to be the single stage rockchucker press...
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is how I feel too. Single stage was better to learn on, cheaper too. I’m glad I got my RockChucker first.

Then buy a Dillon progressive... I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. (I’d just add another.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10000!

These guys are spot on, OP.  I went rock chucker -> RCBS turret -> Dillon 650 -> Dillon 1100.  You can totally learn on a progressive, but the learning curve is steeper...much steeper than a single stage.  I'd do it the same way if I had to do it again (except probably skip the turret.  IIRC, I did that because I was a college kid at the time and progressives were out of my price range).
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quick update...

I’ve continued to purchase things here and there, while trying to avoid paying a premium on some items. So far I have SRP’s, a couple of different powders, brass and projectiles. I’m still waiting on a Hornady Shell Holder Kit to be shipped to me.

Here is where I would like some input...

I’m probably going to purchase a powder dispenser (leaning towards an RCBS Chargemaster Lite) and need something for case prepping & trimming. I’m open to any suggestions. Would like to pay less than $500 for everything if possible
View Quote

Natchez has the Charge Master on sale right now. $329 but they are out of stock on the LITE model. Or it would be $239

Charge Master

For trimming, I have seen a lot of people like the Giraud tri way trimmers.

Giraud Tri Way

Both of those together should stay under your $500 threshold.

Here's an old thread on Snipers hide that compare the Charge Master and Lite versions.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/rcbs-1500-chargemaster-vs-lite.6374259/
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#48]
For powder IMO get a rotary measure in your favorite color. Mine is green. $100.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/mechanical/mechanical/uniflow-powder-measure-iii/16-9016.html

The $300+ automatic weighing dispensers are nice, but do you really need to weigh every charge?

I see you have a mechanical scale. A decent digital helps. Don't waste your $ on the cheaper pocket models, they float. I recently purchased one of these and am satisfied. Use it to set your measure and go to town.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/platinum-series-precision-scale-with-case/909672.html#start=1
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for everyone’s help so far. I have not yet started loading but have started my little collection
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top