Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2018 8:17:27 PM EDT
Thinking of getting some glock slides done in fairly simple, straight forward single colors. This'll be my first foray into aftermarket cerakote.

Was looking at shops like blowndeadline, Mad Custom Coating, etc.

I know their reputation speaks for itself, but what makes the big names different than smaller shops when it comes to single colors?

If I were looking for battleworn Captain America or Star Wars stuff, sure. Just trying to figure out if the lead times are worth it if I just want some Burnt Bronze.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Reputation is about it.  If you decide to go the mail route I can help you out.

Cold link for examples: Facebook.com/ScottGunSmith
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reputation is about it.  If you decide to go the mail route I can help you out.

Cold link for examples: Facebook.com/ScottGunSmith
View Quote
You have a site or an IG I can peruse? I'm the only human without facebook... hahaha
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I looked around a lot, but decided to just do my own. Price and quality are all over the map IMO.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You have a site or an IG I can peruse? I'm the only human without facebook... hahaha
View Quote
Yes sir: http://www.scottgunsmith.com

I am also happy to talk you though a DIY method with Brownells Aluma Hyde.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The quality of finishes like Cerakote are heavily dependent on the quality of the prep work, at least if you’re talking about single color, non-“artistic” jobs where obviously individual technique becomes more important—though, technique does come into play even with single color coatings to get good, consistent finishes with the right texture/thickness.

A reputable company is really one that just takes their time and pays close attention to properly doing prep work, using the right equipment, etc., doing a good job of cleaning/degreasing, disassembling, etc. to acheive a good finish.

Like many popular DIY things—what has happened is that the market has become saturated with guys that want to buy the cheapest used airbrush on Craigslist, blast your shit with playground sand in the cabinet they made out of old plywood and 2x4s, don’t know or don’t care to properly disadsemble your parts, don’t clean or degrease properly so the paint doesn’t stick correctly and starts to chip and peel, don’t know how to mix paints and solvents, causing orange peel effects, drips, and pools... aaaaand, will happily take your money and then proceed to tell you it’s your fault when they screw it up.

That’s not to say that all small refinishers are like this—but there are enough of them out there to make it extremely important to carefully vet refinishers, and why reputation goes such a long way when selecting a refinisher.

Or, you can decide all of this is way overboard for a gun you’re going to beat up anyways, and decide it’s easier to just rattle can all the things.

~Augee
View Quote
Always happy to see you weigh in on a thread of mine.

I just need someone to pop in and tell me you get what you pay for on everything I ever post.

Thanks for the insight, as always.

Also, check your old email. Sent you something I think you might enjoy.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I got into Cerakote about 5 months ago.  Did a TON of research and talked to as many people who have tried and done it.  I had most of the stuff minus the Iwata HVLP gun.  I decided to do it the right way and bought all the stuff from Cerakote and am using their process almost to the T.  There is definitely a learning curve, but after using a sandblaster and 100 grit Aluminum Oxide you really see why it has to be done to get the paint the stick.  I actually started doing things like cheap small gun parts, levers and such.  I did some old wrenches that were starting to rust and like I said learned a lot.  I've reached the point now where I'm confident enough to start doing larger projects.  Disassembled one of my Noveske guns last week to start prepping it for coating.

If you don't want to use one of the big shops that's cerakote certified I'd just check out some of their photos.  In all honesty, a slide is pretty easy to do in 1 color unless the person has never done it before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top