Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2017 10:25:02 PM EDT
Got it for a complete steal. I don't even want to post the price, but let's say I couldn't even buy a new Glock for what I got this for.

I didn't even have the money, but you can't pass up deals like that. Serial number is 91XXXX from Springfield Armory. Already shot it out to 300 yards and it shoots well, but I didn't have any clips so I had to hand load rounds into the chamber. I can't wait to hear the "Ping!" noise.

The parts I can see seem to end in "-SA" as well. I'm not even sure how to take this thing apart. Just so happy to finally get one.

Finally, the stock has some marks on it like tape was left on it for too long. It's a little faded. It had to be tape, or a sticker, or something. I'm generally against refinishing WWII rifles, but I'd like to at least get the stock uniform throughout. Thoughts? (you can see what I'm talking about in the pic on the buttstock)
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont touch the stock if its original.  buy a second stock.  looks like you have whats referred to as a 6 digit . Looks like it was rebuilt in the 1950s based on the high hump gas cylinder lock . If you lock the chargin handle to the rear i would bet it has a 52 or 53 rebarel. Look into m2 ammo also
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Good info, thanks.  I just picked up an M1 yesterday w/a 361XXX Ser.#...its barrel is stamped SA 52.  No stamp(s)/cartouches to be found any where on the stock, but its looks like it's been to hell and back...I went over every inch of that stock w/a magnifying glass.

Edited for pics.

- Woody
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#4]
That's slick!!! I just got back into an M1 finally but mine is from '45 Looks like. I'd love to have one that was there and back!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Disassembly is simple, plenty of YouTube vids to show how.

A good resource for checking part numbers is http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsMFG.aspx?mfg=SA

Going through my CMP rifle it looks like only one major part isn't correct and the '43 barrel is probably the original.  I've been waiting over a week for my account on the CMP forum to be fully activated so I can post what I got and get feedback about it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome! I like the Brownells YouTube videos on the M1. They were easy for me to follow along with. Congrats and I think this disease is worse than BRD! Wish I hadn't waited so long. All I think about now is garands.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disassembly is simple, plenty of YouTube vids to show how.

A good resource for checking part numbers is http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsMFG.aspx?mfg=SA

Going through my CMP rifle it looks like only one major part isn't correct and the '43 barrel is probably the original.  I've been waiting over a week for my account on the CMP forum to be fully activated so I can post what I got and get feedback about it.
View Quote
Getting activated on the CMP forum takes forever. But it's worth it. Lots of really knowledgeable people on there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]
That was a great deal and a nice looking gun. The tape may have been from some units in the military putting rack numbers on guns with tape on the stock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
That heel stamp looks double-stamped?!?!  Is that my eyes, the camera or a double -strike?

Got a few with '500' at the end.  Nice  
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice! Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top