Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2021 11:58:34 AM EDT
I picked this up a few years ago for $400 and recently tore it down for cleaning. Its a 1940 Sauer & Sohn that's all matching except for the bolt which is mismatched. I believe the S 32 40 DS barrel stamp means that is was produced by Steyr, steel lot 32, year 1940, blank code DS. The waffenamts are peened out and it is CAI import marked on the top of the barrel. I don't see a capture mark. The finish is more or less gone with some pitting and it has what appears to be trench art on the stock. The stock appears to have been sanded as the stamps are barely visible. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the peening and lack of metal finish was indicative of it being captured and reissued by a particular country but I can't seem to find it now. I want to say it was one of the Balkan countries. Feel free to correct me on anything I said. Anything else you can tell me about the rifle? Any idea what is carved into the stock?

Top of the receiver
Attachment Attached File

Stock stamps. They are very faint but there is an H and two waffenamts
Attachment Attached File

Barrel Bands
Attachment Attached File

K stamp next to the take down disk
Attachment Attached File

More pictures coming...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Right side of receiver
Attachment Attached File

Kill mark?
Attachment Attached File

Floorplate
Attachment Attached File

Trench art
Attachment Attached File

Barrel markings
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
stock and handguard stamps
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I can take more pictures if anyone wants to see anything specific. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the peening and lack of metal finish was indicative of it being captured and reissued by a particular country but I can't seem to find it now. I want to say it was one of the Balkan countries.
View Quote

Yep.  These are commonly referred to as "Romanian capture" or "Balkan capture" rifles, and yours has all the hallmarks.  But there's no good way to know for sure from which country it was imported by Century.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
147J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl (superseded by 'ce'). Found on small arms
https://oldmilitarymarkings.com/codes_full_numeric.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes old Century import from Romania. These came in around 1994-5 and were around $89.99 . Mismatch bolt, no sight hood and cleaning rod the norm, pinged out markings. Most had fried bores.

If the bore is ok 400 isn't a bad price today especially for more desirable manufacture.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking it's a "Romanian capture".
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been out of Mausers for a few years but IIRC calling these "captures" is a bit of a misnomer. They were actual Romanian Army issued rifles used during the immediate aftermath of WWII before they switched over to Soviet standard weapons sometime in the mid to late 1950's. The Romanians used Mausers before and during the war, so that's what they continued with afterwards due to familiarity.  Romania isn't the only country that did this, there's pictures online of E. Germans and Czechs carrying wartime weaponry with Soviet troops alongside them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome, thank you! I knew it was somewhere captured somewhere in that area but was having a hard time finding information. Now I've got a starting point to do some more research. I went back and looked and I bought this in April 2015 so almost 6 years ago already. The barrel is okay. I spent 20 minutes or so cleaning it and could use some more. The rifling is worn and dark but no pitting. I have not shot it or performed a bullet test on it yet. Looking online, it looks like what's on the stock could be Cyrillic but its hard to tell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad has a vz 24 Romanian contract rifle he bought at Dunhams probably 2005 ish for under $100.

It looks the same with almost 100% finish wear and the wood  is the same color. The part of the receiver that the bolt hits to bottom it out  before turning Is actually peened in quite a bit from use. I kind of thought it was a rifle for training or something, just because it was worked over so hard.

Still shoots though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember going through tables of these when they first came in and was told Albania , but I have a feeling they were from all over the area. Most were pretty well used and I remember one guy showing me a bore so bad that the pulled bullet he had slid down through it!  As stated above they were usually unmodified or refurbed like the Russian and Yugo examples.

I picked up a few of them back then that were fairly uncommon years and makes , but traded them away at some point.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top