Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2021 9:27:32 PM EDT

I vaguely remember purchasing it a decade or so ago from a C&R collector, but I don't have details.  It seems to be in very good condition and the wood is excellent considering the age.

Lots of pics here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVqFKBH
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No. 1 Mk. III, produced by London Small Arms Company in 1918, and used by Iraq at some point in its life (as evidenced by the Triangle Jeem marking on the receiver, barrel, and stock disc).
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a No1 Mk III.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Touche!

I should have elaborated a bit more in my post.  I know it's a ShtLE MKIII made in 1918 w/P1907 bayonet.  It's all matching (but not the bayonet) and is in excellent condition for it's age.  I paid $300 for the rifle and bayonet.  Beyond that, I don't know anything else about it.  

Is the wood original?  How do you know it was used in Iraq?  (seems to be in way too nice of shape)  Does it have any collector value?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I had 1930s BSA Iraqi contract NoI MkIII* in not as nice shape , got 600 for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
LSA is one of the scarcer makers...it has the two arrows "Sold Out of Service" mark on the left receiver side. The Sanderson made bayo has the D/|\D Australian service mark on it, WWII scabbard (round frog stud)

Early style cocking piece on the bolt, has the mag cut off still present. Wood looks good...

All in all a nice example...I'd be happy to own it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle. I didn't know they still incorporated magazine cut-offs in 1918, but I have an amateur knowledge base. Did manufacturers determine whether early features such as cut-offs and volley sights were kept versus deleted?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifle. I didn't know they still incorporated magazine cut-offs in 1918, but I have an amateur knowledge base. Did manufacturers determine whether early features such as cut-offs and volley sights were kept versus deleted?
View Quote

This rifle has been changed around it isn't orig from factory. Generally rifles were updated to MkIII* at any level as it was just removing parts and adding a *.

Finding a nice No1 MkIII in orig configuration ( cut off, volley sights, stack swivel etc ) that escaped update is pretty rare.

They still used recvrs cut for cut off and low cut stock  well into MkIII* production to use them up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I can tell you you should sell it to me!
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know much about Enfields. I do know that LSA rifles are less common/scarce. I see very few posted online.

The triangle on top of the receiver, with the symbol inside, is Iraq marking.

You'd need a book to try to figure out how your rifle was originally built (or a knowledgeable Enfield collector who is generous with their knowledge).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top