Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2023 11:31:12 AM EDT
So I'm thinking about adding a MCR belt fed upper to the collection.  Practicality aside, I kinda dig the idea of running a can on the 12.5 barrel.  What can would you use and why?  

I'm fairly invested in Silencerco and have no issues with ASR mounts.   The Chimera 300 and the Velos LBP seem like top contenders for a heavy duty can.  Between those two, Im torn.  The Chimera gives you the benefit of .30 flexibility and the Velos gives you the lower back pressure.  Thoughts between those two?

ETA... For what its worth, I do have access to an M16 lower so it could be run full auto.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I run a yhm turbo or turbo k
https://youtube.com/shorts/vQzz1mAl6hk?feature=share
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
For some reason I thought the shrike upper had adjustable gas settings. Looking at the crappy Fightlite website now, I can’t tell.  But I suspect that’s a standard feature. If so then a high back pressure can might run fine on reduced settings.  If you already own any restrictive-to-flow suppressors you could try the MCR gas settings with that to see if their range/resolution is adequate before you decide on a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For some reason I thought the shrike upper had adjustable gas settings. Looking at the crappy Fightlite website now, I can't tell.  But I suspect that's a standard feature. If so then a high back pressure can might run fine on reduced settings.  If you already own any restrictive-to-flow suppressors you could try the MCR gas settings with that to see if their range/resolution is adequate before you decide on a suppressor.
View Quote
They do.  https://fightlite.com/mcr-125-adjustable-heavy-barrel
4 position.
They initially were all adjustable and later went to self-adjusting which I don't think worked that great.
On my 16" barrel I don't think any settings were suppressor setting.
On my 12.5" barrel, mine only runs on max unsuppressed and I can't remember what I tried when running suppressed so maybe they made suppressor setting for the shorty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested in answers to this as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd also be interested in hearing opinions on putting a can on MCR. Would a flow through design cut down on dirtying the gun up?
Also what happened to the thread on lowers for the MCR on both GD an Belt fed sub forum?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Shrike/MCR barrels of a bunch of different generations.

The "self-adjusting" moniker is really just a fancy marketing way of saying "fixed".   The self adjusting as just a fixed gas port size with no ability to reduce gas into the piston.  You put a can on one of the "self-adjusting" barrels and it will just speed up the cyclic rate.

I don't think they sell the self adjusting anymore and all of the barrels are the more modern 4 position adjustable gas blocks that reduce gas into the piston chamber.

For suppressor use on mine I use an old American Manufacturing XXX warrior with my shrike as it has low back pressure since the bore aperture on that AA XXX "5.56" suppressor will allow a 9MM projectile to pass through it.  Its also really simple in terms of construction and is about as robust as suppressors come.   The down side is its a heavy SOB but on a belt-fed I am not super concerned about weight.

I have a friend with another MCR upper and he runs one of the OSS / HUXWRX flow through suppressors on his gun and it seems to work well.

As for the thread on the SAW box lowers I suspect that it got nuked because those lowers violate Ares/Fightlight/Herrings patent on that style of lower that is in force until 2026.    Fightlight is a site sponsor based off what I see in the top ad rail and I don't suspect that they took kindly to a thread on a site where they pay for advertising which allowed the  promotion for sale of patent infringing "SAW box" lowers by another manufacturer.  I was actually surprised that thread was allowed to exist as long as it did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top