Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/20/2021 4:52:01 PM EDT
I bought a Trek when they were cheap...

I wouldn’t buy it again, I’m not sure what I want to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sparrow
View Quote

I wouldn’t buy a Sparrow again, but I don’t regret the purchase. There are way better choices today.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Huntertownarms, but they’ve found their niches.

OG Guardian 22.  It does OK a 16” rimfire shooting SV/subs, but then again a cigar tube packed with Chinese grommets would sound OK in that case (maybe not, but probably not far off).  

The Guardian 9 is long and heavy (they lied about the weight and their steel booster in a sock would be a fine melee weapon in a prison riot) but at 1.25” OD I actually favor it on hosts without suppressor height sights.  Pretty much all long pistol cans suck .
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Tirant 45M. Pistol cans are meh in general.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree but they’re awesome on subguns or PCC’s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Salvo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t buy a Sparrow again, but I don’t regret the purchase. There are way better choices today.
View Quote

My thought too. I have an aluminum Sparrow and stainless Sparrow. There are things out now I'd much rather have, but at that time (2009 for the aluminum) it was a fine purchase.

If they were ordinary items I'd sell them in a heartbeat to fund other things. But being NFA items of that value we're pretty much stuck with them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Even though it was a free can- Sparrow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Bushwacker gen1
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought a Trek when they were cheap...

I wouldn’t buy it again, I’m not sure what I want to do with it.
View Quote

What dont you like about your Trek?    I have one and use it on a .22-250 bolt gun.    Its decently short and does a really good job with the hot .22-250 round.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My brotha from anotha motha
$299 trek
Fine but heavy and direct thread. Could be a good loaner can
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
As of today- none of them. MY YHM Phantom SS 5.56 QD was my first, along with a YHM Cobra 9mm. I was uninformed when I bought them, but also, the silencer market was not as diverse and mainstream as it is today. Have to have the lows to appreciate the highs.

Phantom SS 5.56 is heavy as fuck, but at the same time, you can beat the shit out of it, and you're not really going to hurt it. Cobra 9mm, I didn't like their solution for multiple thread-pitch adapters, but it's their skin in the game to lose, so I guess I can understand why they did it the way they did.

Today's market for silencers is very mature, compared to back when I bought my first 2.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What dont you like about your Trek?    I have one and use it on a .22-250 bolt gun.    Its decently short and does a really good job with the hot .22-250 round.
View Quote

Mostly the weight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Salvo.
View Quote

I've heard many owners say this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Salvo.

I’d still like one for the right price
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
huntertown arms 556 can

heavy but not heavy duty. also loud.

one can i regret NOT buying [more of] is the direct thread SiCo Saker K. The warsport special order that got sold off cheap when they folded - that can is impressive. I wish I had grabbed at least one more.

eta photo of awesome saker k:

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm torn about my AAC 6.8 SPR-M4
Great can, really quiet, reflex mount, rugged as hell.
But all Inconel.  Heavy.
And it uses the SCAR-H mount which is heavy too.

I use it on 6.8 and 5.56 rifles and SBRs.

My other rifle cans are an Omega (30 cal) which I run on a lot of things and an AEM5 (OpsInc 12th) which is the best can I own and I want an SBR upper for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Run mine on my 8" AR45 and it's tits!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the deficiency with the Sparrow?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Salvo.
View Quote
I have a Salvo, but sold the Vepr I was originally going to use as its host.  Now I’m waiting on police trade in 590a1 SBS form 4 to clear.  Should be a fun setup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Had the 762SDN6 that I bought for a bolt gun, completely wrong can for that setup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the deficiency with the Sparrow?
View Quote

It’s heavy, hard to clean, and lots of FRP.

It’s cheaper now but still not “cheap”.

It’s okay on a rifle/carbine but lacks on pistols.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It’s heavy, hard to clean, and lots of FRP.

It’s cheaper now but still not “cheap”.

It’s okay on a rifle/carbine but lacks on pistols.
View Quote

I use my stainless Sparrow on rifles only these days. I like my aluminum Sparrow way more than my stainless Sparrow for pistol shooting, or any shooting really.

My Energetic Armament Nyx Mod1 is way nicer than them both though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
M4-1000
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting. I have my trek2 on my HD 10.5” AR. It’s one of my favorite to shoot and it meters right at 142-144 in this setup. Almost hearing safe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Gemtech Tundra...loud...shoots loose...long...just nothing good about it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mostly the weight.
View Quote
That's understandable. I got a couple of the $299 Treks from Phoenix as well.

I was regretting it when one started leaking at the rear weld, but amazingly Gemtech, after being bought-out by S&W, honored the old company's warranty AND replaced it with a Gen 2 Trek at no cost to me. So now I'm a very happy camper.

The weight doesn't really matter since it lives on a MK18 Mod 0 truck gun, and it's lighter than the M4-2000 it replaced. Shorter too.

(I wasn't about to spend Trek-T money back then, and titanium isn't as tolerant of full auto fire.)

I still have the other one new in the box, and I haven't heard of anyone else's developing a leak, but I'm undecided on what to do with it. Originally I planned to dedicate it to a 14" AUG barrel, but I have yet to shorten said AUG barrel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't really regret any of my purchases, but if I had to eliminate one, it would definitely be the TiRant 9. I love the reduction in sound, especially when shooting subs, but it really changes the feel of the pistol, affects POI, and can't be used with most holsters.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Liberty cosmic 45.

The can is actually well made but Im really kinda over pistol cans that are 12ft long.
My rugged obsidian 9 is good because it has a k configuration.

Im really kinda over pistol cans for the most part, even more so when they are super long and unwieldy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't really regret any of my purchases, but if I had to eliminate one, it would definitely be the TiRant 9. I love the reduction in sound, especially when shooting subs, but it really changes the feel of the pistol, affects POI, and can't be used with most holsters.
View Quote
I feel the same way. I love shooting my full length Kraken and it feels light, but suppressors in general are awkward on pistols, there's no getting around it.

Right after I ordered the Kraken , I bought a Sico Maxim 9 on an impulse. I got buyers remorse while waiting for the stamp. I never even handled one and it looked awkward and bulky, plus reviews on line are kind of meh.  That changed when I got it in hand. It weighs about the same as a steel 1911 Govt. model and balances nicely. It also draws nicely from a belt holster (especially in short config). Best of all, you can use standard iron sights without the suppressor blocking your view. I had a red dot on it for a while, but I went back to irons because that's so cool. I kind of love it.

I wish there was more competition in the 9mm integral suppressed handgun market. I'd buy another if one of the mfgs improved on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Ghost M. It's ok but I wish I would have gone with the Obsidian. It would have been cheaper, stainless baffles, and covers way more cartridges. And this regret is coming from someone with a sparrow 2 and a SDN6 (both of which I actually really still like).
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Run mine on my 8" AR45 and it's tits!
View Quote

Same here, and ECCO+SilencerCo 3-Lug all the things.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Sandman-K
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Yankee Hill mite. I liked the qd mounting and have 3. But is was not very quiet and hard to clean.
Paid the money for the stinger re-core and it’s a far better can.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Gemtech mist. It’s cool because it’s integral but it lacks the accuracy I desire in a rifle. It has a flier about every other magazine. My Bergerac b14r and mask on the other hand...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Tranquilo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tranquilo.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Probably my Mask.  Is an amazing sounding can, but suspect I got caught up in DA's QA/QC problems.  Since day 1 it has required a wooden dowel to get the baffles out and came with 2 blast baffles (DA has great CS and fixed the baffle issue). I hesitate to use it because of how much of a pain in the dick it is to take apart compared to my other .22lr cans.   Out of the other .22lr cans I own (2X Axioms, Hydra SS, Ryder 22 Mini, El Camino, and a Prodigy), it is simply not fun to deal with.  The threaded end gets stuck all the time and shielded baffles don't do anything if the can comes un-shot from the factory with the baffles stuck in the tube.  Realizing I got a crap one and stuck with it sucks because I know it's a good design and quiet can.  Took it home from my LGS/SOT and could not get the baffles out without a wood dowel.  DA's own and other YouTube reviewers have their baffles fall out of the tube and that is the case with all my other .22lr cans (some may require a finger to get a one or two baffles out after shooting it a lot).

@Macgeever: would really like to love this thing and have owned it for over a year, but I am not impressed anymore.  I may not have a ton of .22lr cans, but IMO one should not need a wood dowel to get baffles out of it before it has been shot.  I have never had to take a wood dowel to any other .22lr can I have.  Kinda defeats the purpose of sealed baffles when they are factory stuck in the tube to begin with.  Your own promo vids and many reviewers show them falling out of the can when new.  Pretty sure I got a turd specimen Mask .
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Griffin Revolution 9. The build and finish quality just seems to be mediocre compared to other brands I own. I think the finish would come off if I spilled warm milk on it. It was my first Griffin can and will be the only one I own at this point. What a turd. Maybe it’s just because I still think my TiRant 9 is the best pistol can ever.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#40]
currently the recce 5 i own because it likes to carbon lock the mount every time i take it to the range, the can is awesome, sounds great but i can't get over the carbon lock
a quick trip to ecco will change that
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Octane 9.
Should have bought the 45.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#42]
762SDN6 for sure.  I had is Ecco converted, and its much better now.  But I can't find a great use for it, the weight just makes it tough to be happy about taking it out when I have other lighter cans on hand.  I disliked my Mite, but a Stinger conversion solved that problem.  I still really like my Salvo, its a favorite of mine for sure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Silencerco Hybrid
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Silencerco Hybrid
View Quote

Probably number 2 on my list.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Octane 9.
Should have bought the 45.
View Quote

+1 but I wish I bought the Omega 9k instead.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#46]
My first can, a YHM 7.62 Stainless Phantom I bought 10 years ago.  28 oz of pure blunt object but my LGS carried YHM and it was in the case.  Its QD but I'm thinking of sending it to ECCO for 1 3/8 x 24 threads to direct thread it because it never did lock up tight and turned my Hog Hunter into a 3 inch gun.    

It works great for suppression but effin heavy.  I guess I'll just lift more weights.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Liberty Fat Cat 9mm.  Cannot take apart for cleaning...have to send back to them, expensive.  It’s a good thing they stopped manufacturing them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought 2 super cheap radical cans as loaners for my dad. They work fine but are HEAVY. I wish I would've put that money towards a sandman or nomad.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Griffin Revolution 9. The build and finish quality just seems to be mediocre compared to other brands I own. I think the finish would come off if I spilled warm milk on it. It was my first Griffin can and will be the only one I own at this point. What a turd. Maybe it’s just because I still think my TiRant 9 is the best pistol can ever.
View Quote

I’m not to fond of my Resistance 9. Got it when they first were released. Not as quiet as some other cans on my P320. I might upgrade to the newer eco flo gen 2 whatever they call it baffles...or might have Ecco do his magic.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencerco Hybrid

Curious as to why?
I like mine, I would probably like the 36m better but it wasn’t out at the time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top